Topic: Printer Project - 1:1 scale DB4

This is more than just a printer project but the first phase is printing a 1:1 scale DB4 then taking a mold from this (after a bit of finishing work that is) and casting the body, making a chassis etc etc. So far I have a boot, a bonnet, 2x doors and have made the framework for the main body. I've printed (with my solidoodle 2) about 6m2 printed so far (of 16m2 total)

There's more info and pics on replicadb4 .com if your interested:

Post's attachments

Bonnet.jpg
Bonnet.jpg 93 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-04-26 

Boot.jpg
Boot.jpg 99.91 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

door.jpg
door.jpg 104.84 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Framework1.jpg
Framework1.jpg 74.78 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-04-26 

Framework2.jpg
Framework2.jpg 73.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Printer Project - 1:1 scale DB4

Post's attachments

Framework3.jpg
Framework3.jpg 74.64 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Framework4.jpg
Framework4.jpg 74.27 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Are you keeping track of the printing hours?  Because it will probably total about a bajillion.

Absolutely insane!

I can't imagine how much tme and filament you go through.

you are my hero!

lawsy wrote:

Absolutely insane!

I can't imagine how much tme and filament you go through.

like he said... insane !!!

it's a monk work

7 (edited by rsilvers 2013-04-26 16:50:09)

How do you handle dicing it up into sections?

I have a 1:1 scale map of the USA. One summer I folded it.

You should start a webpage cataloging what you need printed and see if you can start a social movement within the 3d printing community to print panels for you and ship them to you.  People sign up for and grab STLs 0956-0960 spend an hour printing them and they send them to you.  You can fit and finish and cut out one of the more time consuming portions. 

It would take some organization but I'd print a handful of panels for you as I'm sure a lot of people would if they knew they were going to be a small part of something interesting like this.

He needs a Filastruder.  Buying pellets instead of filament would make a huge difference in the total cost, more than enough to pay for the extruder.

I have been waiting for him to finally post up some of his project...he sort of left us hanging with the introduction a couple months back.  Agree on the Filastruder...my beta might be for sale

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

IanJohnson wrote:

Are you keeping track of the printing hours?  Because it will probably total about a bajillion.

I want to know how many hours of printing are left to complete the car.

Filastruder

cmetzel wrote:

You should start a webpage cataloging what you need printed and see if you can start a social movement within the 3d printing community to print panels for you and ship them to you.  People sign up for and grab STLs 0956-0960 spend an hour printing them and they send them to you.  You can fit and finish and cut out one of the more time consuming portions. 

It would take some organization but I'd print a handful of panels for you as I'm sure a lot of people would if they knew they were going to be a small part of something interesting like this.

This +1

Filastruder

13 (edited by tbenst 2013-04-26 20:32:31)

cmetzel wrote:

Ivan, would be happy to handle the technical logistics of crowd sourcing parts if you'd like. I'm a co-founder of Azavy.com, a platform for crowd sourced 3D printing. We'd love to contribute by building out any functionality needed at no cost! Feel free to discuss here, and we can also be reached at [email protected]

Ivan, would be happy to handle the technical logistics of crowd sourcing parts if you'd like. I'm a co-founder of Azavy.com, a platform for crowd sourced 3D printing. We'd love to contribute by building out any functionality needed at no cost! Feel free to discuss here, and we can also be reached at [email protected]

Sounds interesting but I've already bought all the filament needed to complete (64x 1kg rolls if you were wondering)

I've been printing since Jan, the prints average about 6 to 7 hours each and I've been kicking one off during the night and again in the morning. I'm only about 40% through, I expect to be finished in July if the printer keeps going strong.

Don't know what a Filastruder is, I'll have to do some googling. Check out my site I think I did a post about slicing it up

ivan,

Amazing work! What is ratio of bad prints to working prints?  Have you had any major clogging or hot end issues?

16 (edited by ivan 2013-04-27 19:00:26)

nickythegreek wrote:

ivan,

Amazing work! What is ratio of bad prints to working prints?  Have you had any major clogging or hot end issues?

No hot end clogging, just 2x wires needed replacing in the wire harness and a loose cap screw

I've got a few failed prints, caused by the pc crashing, python crashing, the printer getting confused (and printing about 10mm out on one axis) but mostly they are from the prints coming off the bed.

The best solution I've found for this is to use kapton tape on a sheet of glass then spray with hair spray (the kepton tape holds a lot better to glass than aluminium) now I get a failed print 1 out of 30 and it's usually the last 20% of the print so I just slice the drawing at where it failed and print the rest so there isn't really and wasted material anymore unless it fails really early and I'm not there to cancel the print

Ivan,

What glue are you using to attach the printed parts to one another?

Filastruder

tamiya abs model cement, it's not so much a glue more that it melts the surface which produces a natual bond that lasts longer than a glue does. More importantly it's stonger than what is printed (the walls break before the bond does)

Hi I'm just researching 3d printing machines and one of my questions was longevity of the printer... I consider my question answered! What an awesome project! Are you doing this just for fun or once you have the mold do you intend to sell shells? Just nosy thats all?

Truly inspiring, when its done what a fantastic sponsorship opportunity for solidoodle!

Thanks, no just a one off build but I might try to sell the mold when I'm done

Hi Ivan, i have an educational license for autodesk software, do you know if you can print stls using it? Normal prints are water marked?

Don't know sorry but my guess is that it can, unless the water mark is an object too it won't be exported in the stl

This is one of the coolest 3D-projects ever! smile

24 (edited by kalf 2013-05-27 18:56:04)

I laught alot when i saw this picture and thought of you!

great work btw!

Post's attachments

944355_570038416395568_783885799_n.jpg
944355_570038416395568_783885799_n.jpg 69.62 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-05-27 

wow... so you estimate 64 kg to be enough to build the whole body?

thats a lot less then i would have expected.