Re: Fixing banding (z-wobble) with fine threaded z-rod

I read dozens of topics about our biggest nemesis, the backlash, but I still miss some pictures of the puzzle

I'd really like to change my stock threaded rod, some of you went with the M3 rod, which is the most flexible, but what about the risk of bending it?
Others with the M5 rod as they felt it was a bit stronger, still almost twice the revolutions per mm compared to the stock 5/16" rod.

Also what about couplings for the threaded rod and stepper shaft?
A Chinese aluminum standard coupling would be enough? Any European source for them?
Is aluminum durable or will it fail?

Here I see Jenninaj went with helical beam coupling, but seems very expensive. Does it worth the expense?
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1910/zba … -coupling/

thank you!
Nick

If you are going to mod your Z then I would say go with the smaller threaded rod because then you are effectively shrinking the thread error giving less noticeable unevenness. As for bending it since we are printing with plastic the weight concerns are negligible... now if we were print with steel then there would be some concern smile

ronsii wrote:

If you are going to mod your Z then I would say go with the smaller threaded rod because then you are effectively shrinking the thread error giving less noticeable unevenness. As for bending it since we are printing with plastic the weight concerns are negligible... now if we were print with steel then there would be some concern smile

I would say go with no thread and large diameter smile

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

smile I figured you would say that... lol

Any reference to the threadless ballscrew is purely unintentional, right 2n2r5? smile
I really like it, but i'm afraid it needs tight tolerances and perfect setup to make it work, and to achieve that first you have to become a 3d printer master...
So you would suggest to ditch the M5 option from the start and go with M3 rod?
Or be brave and go with 2n2r5 solution? It doesn't seem very expensive, I could give it a try...

Personally, I am getting the parts to replace the rod with an M6 thread. The bed is incredibly light, so I am not doing it for strength. The M3 can handle 58,000 PSI tensile strength. The reason why I am going with M6 is that it is cheaper to buy the threaded rod, well nut, and a 5mm-5mm coupler. Total cost is $10USD.

Also, the 5/16"-18 thread is wrong for this system. It does not evenly divide steps for mm layer heights. I will skip the math and tell you to use Josef Prusa calculator and you will find that the steps per mm for this thread is 2267.72, which we round off and put 2268 in the EEPROM. This leads to inaccurate steps when calculating .3mm, .2mm, and .1mm layer heights.

Now the M6 thread conveniently adds up to 3200 steps per mm. This factor will evenly with the layer heights we usually calibrate:

960 steps for 0.3mm
320 steps for 0.1mm
80 steps for 0.025mm

The M3 can double the resolution, but you honestly dont need it. Just like you dont need the extra strength of the M6 over the M3. But a 2.5mm to 5mm coupler is harder to locate.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hi,
You don't need a 2.5mm - 5mm coupler, you need a 3-5mm coupler, easily got tbh..

I don't know what the relevance of tensile stength is in the application the rod is used in?

However, M6 would be ok... but as you said it is double the resolution of M3. but your theory goes against the reason why I did the M3 upgrade.

I did the 5-16 - M3 because I wanted to improve my print quality... The facts behind choosing M3 over M5 or M6 for that matter was to try and get the better print quality.

Pardon my ignorance Hazer,
I've never dealt with this couplers, but should its diameter match the rod you're trying to fit in?
M6 rod means its diameter is 6mm, does it fit into a 5mm coupler?

Nick

34 (edited by tealvince 2013-08-09 15:55:46)

Hazer wrote:

Personally, I am getting the parts to replace the rod with an M6 thread. The bed is incredibly light, so I am not doing it for strength. The M3 can handle 58,000 PSI tensile strength. The reason why I am going with M6 is that it is cheaper to buy the threaded rod, well nut, and a 5mm-5mm coupler. Total cost is $10USD.

Good luck on an M6, but others who have tried larger metric rods (like an M8) seem to have only seen at best a moderate improvement in banding.  Before you do so, please try printing with an imperial layer height, as this should give a preview of what simply going metric (but staying relatively coarse) will get you. I think you'll find that banding does not go away entirely, as you think it would if roundoff were the primary cause.  Also, the frequency of the banding we [used to] get is wrong for roundoff, as roundoff-based banding necessary must be different from the thread pitch.  I've calculated that threoretical roundoff-based banding would create ribs .6mm apart and would vary with layer height.

The banding on the Solidoodle, however, seems different from reported banding on other devices, as it exactly matches the thread pitch (1.411mm) and does not vary in spacing with layer height.  This is why going to as fine of a threaded rod as possible is such a beautiful solution, it virtually guarantees elimination of banding if you go to a fine enough thread.

35 (edited by agentsmith 2013-08-09 14:58:57)

Tealvince from your pics I cannot determined if your M3 rod is attached only to the stepper motor, as the stock rod, or if the rod is longer and held in place also to the top with some bearing.
Additionally, I found M3 rods made of A2 stainless steel, A4 stainless steel, galvanized steel and brass, the first the cheapest. Is it fine to use the A2 version?

Thanks
Nick

agentsmith wrote:

Tealvince from your pics I cannot determined if your M3 rod is attached only to the stepper motor, as the stock rod, or if the rod is longer and held in place also to the top with some bearing.
Additionally, I found M3 rods made of A2 stainless steel, A4 stainless steel, galvanized steel and brass, the first the cheapest. Is it fine to use the A2 version?

Thanks
Nick

I originally used a 5mm-to-3mm helical coupling between the rod and motor shaft, but later changed to a cheap fixed coupling as I found that the shaft is flexible by itself and that the helical coupling could introduce some random "bounce" to the bed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shaft-Coupling- … 0852424864

There is nothing anchoring the top of the rod.  It's not necessary.  The only tricky part is finding a way to adapt a smaller M3 nut to the existing nut hugger.  The only reason I didn't design something printable is because I already had my z-axis disassembled.

I used the cheapest stainless steel, and it works great for me.

While I agree that the round-off does not cause considerable banding, I do believe that the calculations mess up the actual layer heights. So, for the sake of having 20 layers come out to a physical height of 6mm, using a metric thread will help in that regard.

As for the M3, you are only getting twice the resolution. As for banding, this is better in the regards that you get twice the number of threads engaging with the same thickness of nut. But I plan to use a 3/4"-1" long well nut to get enough engagement to get the same effect. I also plan to print out a special nut and tap it for an effective backlash, but that is a future thing that needs testing.

honestly, I have more of a problem with the sloppy bearings.  The whole aluminum assembly tilts up and down, side to side, and then the bed itself wobbles all around on the springs. Z-wobble does not seem to have nearly as much of an effect as when the nozzle bumps a high-point of extrusion and shifts the entire placement of the print. It makes me think that changing the leads screw to solve Z problems is like pissing on a brush fire.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer, all of the SD printer beds have the 'slop' in them but in actual use you will find that the bed settles in to a natural resting place while printing, I actually modded one of my printers with bolts running through the frame to secure the rods and eliminate the hose clamp 'band holders' and found that even though I eliminated more than half of the movement the bed had there was almost no change in print quality... the bolt mod hardly cost anything to do so I may also do it on the other printers but like I said it hardly made any difference in the finished print quality smile

Hazer wrote:

While I agree that the round-off does not cause considerable banding, I do believe that the calculations mess up the actual layer heights. So, for the sake of having 20 layers come out to a physical height of 6mm, using a metric thread will help in that regard.

As for the M3, you are only getting twice the resolution. As for banding, this is better in the regards that you get twice the number of threads engaging with the same thickness of nut. But I plan to use a 3/4"-1" long well nut to get enough engagement to get the same effect. I also plan to print out a special nut and tap it for an effective backlash, but that is a future thing that needs testing.

Yeah.  You make a good point about the backlash.  That's why I tapped a 1" long brass standoff as the nut for my M3. 

Another reason I think an M3 might help, however, is that the banding necessarily gets reduced when the banding frequency approaches half the frequency of the layer heights. 

For instance, when printing at .3mm layers, the highest frequency completely-periodic banding it can reproduce is one that makes bands .6mm apart.  This is because the "nyquist" frequency is 1/2 the "sampling" frequency, which is equivalent to twice the period (layer height).  This makes sense because you can't create any finer bands than layers that alternate back and forth between too wide and too narrow.  Although, if it were possible to have a workable thread pitch of .1mm, I would have gone for that!

I wonder why these 5 to 3 mm flexible or fixed coupling are impossible to find in Europe, only in China. Which means you have to wait 2-4 weeks sad
In stark contrast it's easy to find 5 to 5 mm or 5 to 8 mm from UK.
Also the uber expensive helical coupling made by Ruland are readily available from RS, but only 5 to 5 mm, 4 to 5 mm and 6 to 5 mm.

Have you thought about trying to find or make a m3 to m5/m8 standoff adapter with m3 on the inside threads and an OD of 5 or 8mm, I have seen round m3 standoff's but can't find any at the moment.... however there are plenty of m3 with a 5mm hex outside that could be turned or filed down to round.

Ok I found at least two dozes of different standoff adapters, think I will spend a hit more or exprdited shipping from China!

By the way, how do you cut the rod? I understood the wrong way of doing it could bend it. Don't know if I'm able to find a place able to plasma cut it here in Ireland

Cutting the rod is simple enough with a hacksaw or cutoff abrasive wheel the main thing to avoid is a shear type cutter as this WILL bend the ends being cut... unfortunately this is the method most used by supply houses and thus is the reason why if you have things cut by them the ends will most likely be bent... just make sure and grind or file a chamfer on the ends when done cutting.

Hey guys, I just received my threaded rods I bought on eBay, I blindly followed Tealvince link that points to a 200mm threaded rod.
When I opened the envelope I realized, "Man, these things are a bit short!" smile
I didn't bother to measure stock threaded rod, now I discover it's 250mm long!

How did you manage to use just 200mm? I guess you would lose some z-height.
Even with the flexible couple adapter in place I think you would regain just 1-1.5cm at best...

SD2 or SD3?

agentsmith wrote:

Hey guys, I just received my threaded rods I bought on eBay, I blindly followed Tealvince link that points to a 200mm threaded rod.
When I opened the envelope I realized, "Man, these things are a bit short!" smile
I didn't bother to measure stock threaded rod, now I discover it's 250mm long!

How did you manage to use just 200mm? I guess you would lose some z-height.
Even with the flexible couple adapter in place I think you would regain just 1-1.5cm at best...

if i remember right he said his was on a SD2 thus only needing a 200mm rod.  You will need a 250mm rod

Haha epic fail to me!
Yes I have a SD3, didn't notice Tealvince has a SD2. We should ask our admins if we can put our printer model under the nickname, so no one gets confused smile

Now another problem, it seems everybody just stocks 200 or 300 mm precut threaded rods. Probably I'll buy the 300 mm one and then cut them by myself. Is it okay if I clamp it then cut with a Dremel and a 426 Fiberglass cut-off wheel?

48 (edited by bpulst 2013-08-27 22:46:26)

agentsmith wrote:

Haha epic fail to me!
Yes I have a SD3, didn't notice Tealvince has a SD2. We should ask our admins if we can put our printer model under the nickname, so no one gets confused smile

Now another problem, it seems everybody just stocks 200 or 300 mm precut threaded rods. Probably I'll buy the 300 mm one and then cut them by myself. Is it okay if I clamp it then cut with a Dremel and a 426 Fiberglass cut-off wheel?

You should be able to cut it to length with any thing that can cleanly cut metal (hacksaw or better) I would recommend making cleaning the threading before assembly.

Tealvince, or others who have completed this mod

This is a great mod. Can you give some step by step. I looked at Tealvince's initial pictures and i'm slightly confused on how the M3 rod is attached to the stepper motor, and I'm confused on how the printbed nut stays in the 5/18 nut spot. Thanks in advance for a step by step directions on how to do this mod.

Hi Bpulst,
In the end the threaded rod seller will cut them for me before shipping, therefore I won't have to deal with it right now smile
I cannot give you step by step instruction as I'm waiting for the correct threaded rods before doing it, but I can reply back to your questions.
First question, you need a coupler, that is a cylindrical device with grub screws that literally couples the stepper motor shaft to the new threaded rod. There are flexible couplings, that acts as a spring betweeen the two parts, allowing smooth movements for bent rods, or fixed couplings. You have to remove the original threaded rod by following the instructions you'll find in the forum.

tealvince wrote:

I originally used a 5mm-to-3mm helical coupling between the rod and motor shaft, but later changed to a cheap fixed coupling as I found that the shaft is flexible by itself and that the helical coupling could introduce some random "bounce" to the bed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shaft-Coupling- … 0852424864

Second question, the printbed nut in the aluminum printbed is an embedded nut, or PEM nut. There is a tutorial to remove it. If you are going with M3 threaded rod, you can leave it where it is.