Re: Fan installation

RGargus wrote:

I doubt that any thing else is using SIO protocol, so the A0 could be released from CE funtion on the SD memory, and CE could be hardwired.  This would free up a fan control bit.  I dont think there would be any loss by making the CE full time.  I have not read the code, but surely those involved in development should be able to tell us the impact.

RGargus, I am not too familiar with CE function- what exactly is this?  Thanks for your input!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

coleke wrote:
RGargus wrote:

I doubt that any thing else is using SIO protocol, so the A0 could be released from CE funtion on the SD memory, and CE could be hardwired.  This would free up a fan control bit.  I dont think there would be any loss by making the CE full time.  I have not read the code, but surely those involved in development should be able to tell us the impact.

RGargus, I am not too familiar with CE function- what exactly is this?  Thanks for your input!

I'm a little iffy on this as well. Perhaps you should ask Eric Zalm.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Has anyone else had the problem where the extruder melts the mount for the fan?  That's a big wah wah moment...

Anyone have any solutions?

Post's attachments

20130603_185523.jpg 4.76 mb, 1 downloads since 2013-06-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I had that same issue using that design. I had to beef up the insulation around the hot end. Perhaps another wrap or to of fiberglass mat and some kapton.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

peter.s.mertz wrote:

Has anyone else had the problem where the extruder melts the mount for the fan?  That's a big wah wah moment...

Same issue, it seems that the hotend design has changed (can someone confirm? -- looks different in pictures: has a square heating block with what appears to be a resistor inside it, no nichrome or ceramic to be seen), and the duct hits the block and/or thermistor.  I had a hole at the *exact* same spot as your picture.  Also tried without any duct/shroud, but have nozzle temperature issues.

Have been ripping my hair out trying to modify the SKP to make this design's duct 5mm deeper (I'm completely new to Sketchup).  I'll let you know if I succeed; in the meantime, if anyone has a mod already, pls let me know (might save me a lot of hair, from the way it looks smile.

Guys, i've read through this post but still need a bit more help... I want to connect a fan to my normal sanguinolou board. How do I go about the wiring to control it through gcode? I have very little experience of gcode, but fine with a soldiering iron!

I need to know which terminals I connect to and is it possible to control the fan speed through software?

Cheers

I don't believe you can control the fan speed. There is a spare PWM pin but I don't think it can supply enough current for the fan.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the mod detailed here simply turns the fan on and off via gcode.

lawsy wrote:

I don't believe you can control the fan speed. There is a spare PWM pin but I don't think it can supply enough current for the fan.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the mod detailed here simply turns the fan on and off via gcode.

Throw a MOSFET on that pin. Ian details it in his blog:

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … ruder-fan/

59 (edited by spapadim 2013-06-17 13:45:52)

FWIW, I'm attaching what I got (wth apologies to lawsy for mauling his beautiful Sketchup design).  Did two test prints, no signs of melting so far.

Caveat: I just stretched the back half of the duct cylinder. So it ain't pretty, gap thickness is also scaled, etc etc. Also, clip part is pretty tight (I think I got one dimension off by 0.5mm when I was moving the notch back forward?).  But I've had enough of Sketchup, thank you (admittedly I'm pretty dumb when it comes to UIs, I'm more of a commandline/programming language person) smile -- if someone wants to take it further... The attached STL has been netfabbed, meshlabbed, re-netfabbed, and I forget what else (I was getting impatient, sorry) to get it to slice..

spapadim wrote:
peter.s.mertz wrote:

Same issue, it seems that the hotend design has changed (can someone confirm? -- looks different in pictures: has a square heating block with what appears to be a resistor inside it, no nichrome or ceramic to be seen), and the duct hits the block and/or thermistor.  I had a hole at the *exact* same spot as your picture.  Also tried without any duct/shroud, but have nozzle temperature issues.

Have been ripping my hair out trying to modify the SKP to make this design's duct 5mm deeper (I'm completely new to Sketchup).  I'll let you know if I succeed; in the meantime, if anyone has a mod already, pls let me know (might save me a lot of hair, from the way it looks smile.

Post's attachments

stretched_fan_duct.skp 455.57 kb, 18 downloads since 2013-06-16 

stretched_fan_duct.stl 276.84 kb, 49 downloads since 2013-06-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

60 (edited by spapadim 2013-06-16 16:01:29)

Elmoret, that's what I thought too (that the MOSFET would "translate" 5V PWM to 12V PWM), but I tried something similar (this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22202, which I believe is what Ian started with) and it's either fully on (even with low, but non-zero control signal) or fully off, no in-between.  However, I do hear a slight whine from fan when PWM is <255 (so some switching must be going on), but a voltmeter says either 0 or 12V.  I believe I read somewhere that Ian had similar issues? I'm investigating (although semiconductors are not my strong suit, to put it mildly), if I make any progress, I'll post.  Did you manage to get it to work?

elmoret wrote:
lawsy wrote:

Throw a MOSFET on that pin. Ian details it in his blog:

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … ruder-fan/

I was just missing the fan speed part of the gcode- M160 S(speed).  It should be able to change speed, but might not start spinning until maybe 60 or so.  I don't think it matters though, what is important is that the fan is on or off.  I don't know that the speed of the fan will make much difference in the actual performance, so long as cooling is happening.

spapadim wrote:

but a voltmeter says either 0 or 12V

This is normal for PWM, especially cheap multimeters.

Thanks guys will be trying it over the next few days as soon as i've reasembled my print bed as my qu-bd has arrived, lawsy I've updated the sketchup file for a sd3 bed size, u want me to send you it to add to your thingiverse page?

Cheers

64 (edited by Staffordknot 2013-06-16 17:18:18)

Don't motor speed controllers pulse at full voltage and the speed controlled by the number of pulses? I don't know if this is true for these type of fans?

Wish i knew more about this stuff!

P.s. what does pwm stand for?

Staffordknot wrote:

Don't motor speed controllers pulse at full voltage and the speed controlled by the number of pulses? I don't know if this is true for these type of fans?

Wish i knew more about this stuff!

P.s. what does pwm stand for?

Yes.

Pulse width modulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Ok cheers... My multimeter does sign waves i think i've never used it to do much, should be interesting to see if i can monitor the mudulation.

Staffordknot wrote:

...lawsy I've updated the sketchup file for a sd3 bed size, u want me to send you it to add to your thingiverse page?

Happy to add it if you do.

Thanks -- I suspected this, so I checked what my meter said for pin 4 (D12), and it gave the expected results (5*pwm/255 Volts). Unfortunately a multimeter is all I have.  Does it matter if there is a load on the MOSFET output or not (I measured both D12 and MOSFET with just multimeter connected)?  Could it be the capacitor (too large)?  Or something to do with PWM frequency perhaps? I'm mostly trying things blindly, I admit.

Also, the fan speed seems to depend on history -- i.e., if I go from S5 to S60 in +5 steps, the fan doesn't move up until ~S50. But going in -5 steps from S60 to S0, the fan only stops moving around S5. Is this also normal?  Or something wrong with the fan?  (BTW, at ~S10 I can see by eye that the fan rotating slower -- unfortunately, the flow is not enough to judge airspeed by hand or even by hanging a piece of, say, string in front of the fan). 

The main reason I care about PWM is not so much the plastic, as that I would like to turn it on gradually, since nozzle temp drops by up to 25C if I turn it on at once -- I was hoping that PWM might help with that.

Thanks everyone for all the hints!

elmoret wrote:
spapadim wrote:

but a voltmeter says either 0 or 12V

This is normal for PWM, especially cheap multimeters.

That is normally due to the friction in the fan. S50 provides enough voltage to get it spinning, but less won't overcome the start up forces required. Once it's going, however, as you say you can run it as low as S5 due to the momentum already present.

I tried the fan installation today following Ian Johnson's write up on solidoodle tips.wordpress.com.  It was very well written which was good for me since I am a complete novice.  The net result was that the fan is on 100% of the time. I could not shut it off from the manual control screen in Repetier. Nor could I set it to turn on or off with Slicr settings.  Are you guys manually inserting M160 commands in the Gcode after slicing to get the fan to turn on or off or would you say I have a problem with my mod somewhere?

I noticed that the MOSFET I ordered did not have the same number as the one displayed on Ian's blog, so I'm tempted to try and find that exact one and try again, but it seems like along shot. I did update the pin settings in the Marlin_SD3.pde file to #4 from the default -1 however, in an attempt to trouble shoot I switched the pin setting back to -1.  The fan still turned on and ran 100% of the time with define pin set at -1.  At any rate I suppose it is all part of the learning curve, but any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated..........

Sounds like something is wired up incorrectly, most likely the mosfet so 12V is always going to the fan.

I suppose I could have mixed up the ground and the gate (right and left side connections on the MOSFET). Would you say this could cause the fan to run 100% of the time?  Luckily I used some extra wire for the MOSFET connection and should be able to get to it relatively easily without pulling the circuit board off again. Running a print now but will try transposing the left and right leads soon. Thanks

If you have a multimeter, I would hook up the mosfet and test the function before connecting the fan, just to minimise the chances of anything dying.

Thanks Lawsy.  I very much appreciate the help.  In this case it turns out I made a bit of a boneheaded move and updated the wrong section of the pin.h file. After reviewing with more care, I found the SD section within the pin.h file and changed the fan pin from -1 to 4.  The fan is working well now (turns off,on, variable speed, Gcode controlled etc).  I'm surprised the fan came on at all with the wrong pin setting, but perhaps with this MOSFET the gate is open until a signal is received.  Thanks again for the tips. 
Frank

Just be careful, with this mod the Sanguinololu is switching on the fan via the mosfet, which means it shouldn't have variable speed control.

It sounds like the fan is running directly from the Sanguinololu, and depending on the fan, too much current may be drawn for the MCU.