Topic: Using Autodesk Inventor.. Converting .ipt to .stl?

Hey guys! New to the forum! My Solidoodle gets here today so I am super psyched and frantically modeling in Autodesk Inventor until I ran across the possible issue of converting the files to .stl.

Anybody have any experience with autodesk and converting or would I be better off using a different program?

Re: Using Autodesk Inventor.. Converting .ipt to .stl?

I'm not familiar with inventor but the autocad command export allows you to write an STL, I don't see why inventor would have lost that function.

Was able to find it! I didn't notice the cad export option the first time. lol

Inventor also has a nice "3d print preview" function (under print) that allows you to fiddle with setting save as an stl or even send it out to a 3d printing service.

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 136.81 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-09-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Oh wow! That looks really useful.  I'll definitely check that out too.

Autodesk 2013 is better with stls than 2012, just a heads up if you have the older version and means to get the newer one.

I would be interested in doing the inverse : STL to IPT
I understand how the STL files are built and how the information is organized.
But using the same algorithm as a slicer, we could import the geometry, slice per slice as lofted 2D sketches.
Is there such a software somewhere ?

InStep V2.0  converts to step files and iges pretty good.

FarFromDotMatrix wrote:

But using the same algorithm as a slicer, we could import the geometry, slice per slice as lofted 2D sketches.

STL is fundamentally different than IPT, from what I understand. You're best bet is learning how to use autodesk fusion. That's designed for STL type files. It's what they recommend if you plan on editing your STL.

I similarly am kind of bummed by that. But STLs are mesh-like, and IPTs are I believe more built from the foundation of shapes.  I'm not entirely sure.

Tomek wrote:
FarFromDotMatrix wrote:

STL is fundamentally different than IPT, from what I understand. You're best bet is learning how to use autodesk fusion. That's designed for STL type files. It's what they recommend if you plan on editing your STL.

I similarly am kind of bummed by that. But STLs are mesh-like, and IPTs are I believe more built from the foundation of shapes.  I'm not entirely sure.

Do you master the 2D sketch concept in inventor? It represent a single 0 thickness layer of geometry. It can then be extruded along a path. Or extruded along a path toward the next layer. So it is technically possible to import an stl file, as multiple 2D sketches, using a specific slice thickness and then loft them from layer to layer. But I am wondering in there is a way to create a mesh solid in inventor, does anyone know? I know it is possible to import acad dwg geometry. Can I import a dwg mesh object and deal with it as a solid?

"Anybody have any experience with autodesk and converting or would I be better off using a different program?"

over the past 20 years ive used a multitude of 3d progs, such as solidworks, inventor and pro engineer. I used proe for over 12 years and along with others, ran the scottish proe user group for a couple of years.

however, my favourite is inventor by a country mile....

it doesnt have the power of proe, proe is the most powerful by far... however the inventor user interface is excellent. real easy for new guys or people converting to it from one package

try using inventor and go to solidworks/proe and it can be painful..

solidworks feels a little too clunky for me,,, it feels like its been fudged together and loads of features just added together with no thought of the usability of the overall package..not sure if i am describing it the best,.. it just feels wrong... i know it here as cartoon cad, some call it cornflake cad.

inventor is my prog of choice and I have all three at home. however, everyone will have their favourite, its what your used to i guess, I just try and avoid solidworks these days.