Topic: Using PLA in the Filastruder

So I recently bought the Filastruder and lemme just say, it's a pretty good device considering the price. I am trying to extrude using PLA and having some issues with it. What settings should I be running it at (temperature, stall protection board, etc.)

I am using the Ultimaker PLA (TDS- https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/ … r-PLA-TDS)

I tried running some shredded PLA through it but it wasn't able to extruder anything
The stall board readings were: 12.2V, 11.9V, 0.35A, 4.1P
The temperature was around 165-170 C

What suggestions can you give me?

Re: Using PLA in the Filastruder

Having the same issue with my custom extruder. I am getting perfect feed but the auger wont pressurize. Maybe I have plug of death before the compression/metering zone. But of course, the filastruder kit doesn't even have those zones so I am not surprised if you are getting plugs in the auger. I would only suggest maybe playing around with where the insulation is on your barrel, maybe it needs more maybe less I don't know.

Re: Using PLA in the Filastruder

Update: I seem to be having some success after I trimmed back the insulation at the inlet side. I have this machine tailored more towards PETG extrusion so doing this test with PLA uncovered that there are some things you need to modify about the heating system to get consistency and flow. I believe the issue is that because PETG has a higher melt temp I had gotten away with having my entire barrel insulated. But once I swapped to PLA (and after lowering temps) it didnt matter how low my temperature was because no matter what PLA was either melting or starting to clump up where it shouldnt have.

I actually have a heatsync with a fan on the side of the barrel to create a sharper transition zone between the warm and hot zone. Maybe you will find success by doing the same.