1 (edited by jjcuff1 2013-04-02 15:33:39)

Topic: New SureStepr SD8825 Installed!

My Y axis A4988 is fried and probably reason I had Y skipping and missteps all last week (very bad).

So after researching I pulled trigger on both the

Pololu A4988 Black edition. drop-in but need to have it soldered.
SureStepr SD8825 (I assume is the DVR TI chip 8825?)

QU-BD Nema 17 4.5KG torque motor (assume the worse that Y motor will be next to go) I called QU-BD and they said will be direct drop in for the SD one. It appears it is little longer but I can easily move the Y drive pully down the shaft a little. Plus it has 2x the torque at a lower amp rating of 1.2A vs 1.33. Combined with the SD board (I hope) I should see no over heating and better control at 1A in the Y. If it works I will crank it up to 1.1-1.2 amp range and see if I can get any improved speeds or acceleration in the Y ans X ( I will use stock x motor but with better driver board)

As a test. I will see how they work. The SD looks sweet with heat sink and better load handling. I hope it is a tru drop-in? I know the Black edition one is but needs to be soldered sad

I ordered today so hopefully by the weekend I can start testing

I

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

Re: New SureStepr SD8825 Installed!

Well as some feedback to others, I orders from 3 places

Qu-BD- stepper motor and it arrived within 2 days earlier
Pololu- 1 black edition A4988 came within 4-5 days as expected
Panchuett: been about 2 weeks just got confimed the suresteprs are on way in 1-3 days

We will see. I really want the sure steppers before I swap out the servo so I have been down for 2 weeks now. And the 4988 has to be soldered. Which I have not done nor care to do.

current car is 88 IROC

Interested to see your testing results.

4 (edited by Tomek 2013-03-28 18:04:02)

Word on the speed of suppliers,

Pololu is awesome about shipping same day if you post before 5pm EST or within a couple minutes of it.  I once ordered 5 of their stepper motors at 5.01pm, via fedex overnight ($26, gah!), and received them from Los vegas or wherever in cali that they're based, to boston by 10am the next day. I was flabbergasted.

Qu-Bd tends to ship within 24hrs.

Can't wait to see them either.

Still waiting on panxhuett. But they did send me a shipping # so i hope tomorrow i will get it.

current car is 88 IROC

FINALLY Received my Surestepper

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wHwzmfpxZrY/UVoRJzhuTtI/AAAAAAAAAs8/g7OLMQAL7mw/s568/Photo+Apr+01%2C+6+52+27+PM.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6DpCjM-Xm7Q/UVoRANy0GLI/AAAAAAAAAs0/6n2Fec4hYYA/s568/Photo+Apr+01%2C+6+51+55+PM.jpg

It drops right in and I made sure the vref was in top right corner. Like the A4988. You can see the dial is on top.
I left everything the same and plugged in. Made some loud noise and I dialed the volatge back to .55Vor about 1.1amps less then the 1.3 max and under the 1.2 that this driver should easily handle.

Turned on and buzzed up and SUPER quiet. The sound of sweet servo. Never sounded better. Blows away just the sound of teh A4988. Which sound like monkeys laboring and humping most of the time. This buzzes along.

The wire is reverse but I figure I try it. I had to reverse in firmware

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6NHPf7IaacY/UVoRXXeYN9I/AAAAAAAAAtE/W2ZDRmFz8A0/s568/Photo+Apr+01%2C+6+54+28+PM.jpg

And it worked fine. It is a 1/32 step so I had to recalibrate. So instead of 88 steps I have about 179 steps. SO far my first print went off great and seemd very fast and capable of more speed more so then cross my fingers with the A4988.

I do have a black edition here too and an extra suresteppr. as well as a QU-DB servo. I will recalibrate everything and then try for a real print over 20 layers and see if it shifts again.

One question the Surestep came with a nice heat sink I ASSUME lol it just sticks on the top of the pad on the PCB board? Not on the chip (which is underside on this board)

If those goes well I might install the sure on the X for good measure and the larger servo on the Y and try for little more speed and accuracy

current car is 88 IROC

Have you tried applying the heatsinks yet?

yes simple mounted on top with tape included on heatsink

current car is 88 IROC