Topic: Help fixing extruder wire on Davinci 1.0A

Can anyone give me instruction on how to fix the dual red wire that goes into the extruder on the DaVinci 1.0a? The wire broke while I was trying to install a mod fan mount. The pic shows how it is broken down in that tube that goes down into the extruder

Thanks

http://soliforum.com/i/?Qq7DAT5.jpg

2 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-02-09 03:42:45)

Re: Help fixing extruder wire on Davinci 1.0A

You need to buy one of this
https://www.amazon.com/BALITENSEN-Ceram … +cartridge

Loose the black hex screw in left of the heating element on your picture and put new one in. Tape the cable with kapton tape so that hot end movement will not break the wire in the future. Be careful not to break thermostat wire during the process and tape the thermostat wire too after finish.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Thanks for the info. I haven't undone the cabling to figure out where the other end goes. Do I need some sort of connector for the other side of this?

I think you need JST 2.54 Housing and Female Pin Header Terminal Connector Kit. Something like this.
https://smile.amazon.com/460-PCS-Sets-2 … ST+housing

You can also use solder iron if you don't think you will need JST housing kits for the future.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Thanks for your help. Got it ordered!

I took out the nut that holds in the heater cable, but I can't slide out the old heater. How do you suggest I get the old one out?

I would gently grab it with some piers and twist while pulling it.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

I would gently grab it with some piers and twist while pulling it.

+1 or if you have small punch or similar object, you could tap it from the other side with light taps from a hammer. Due to the heat they usually get seized. If you can get some anti-seize compound and put on the new one before you install it. It will smoke a bit but if you need to remove it at some point it should come out easily.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

If a punch won't work, how about drilling it out with a drill bit smaller than the hole?

chipd wrote:

If a punch won't work, how about drilling it out with a drill bit smaller than the hole?

The material inside that heater core is ceramic. Making dust from that stuff and breathing it would not be a good idea. Plus is should come out just by twisting with pliers. The punch was a last resort. You may also need to get a heat gun and heat the hotend with it as it could be seized from melted filament.

Thanks for the info. I'm not getting the part until tues, so I won't have a chance until wed or so.

Thanks all for the advice

So I did this fix some time ago and it all worked well.. for a while. Then one day after running the printer for hours on a print, I got the following error while using OctoPrint:
Error:One heater seems decoupled from thermistor - disabling all for safety!
When I switched to using Repetier, I got:
19:44:07.749 : DebugLevel:14
19:44:07.760 : Error:One heater seems decoupled from thermistor - disabling all for safety!
19:44:07.766 : Error:Temp. raised to slow. Rise = 0.93 after 31154 ms
19:44:07.773 : Disabling all heaters due to detected sensor defect.
19:44:07.775 : DebugLevel:14
19:44:10.411 : fatal:Heater/sensor failure Printer stopped and heaters disabled due to this error. Fix error and restart with M999.

So I replaced the heater cartridge and it worked fine for a few weeks, until I ran the printer for a day. Then I go the same error. Am I burning out the heater or is something else going on. If I turn the printer off for a day and retry, I get the same error.

It's not the heater that is the issue. It's the thermistor or it's wiring. The decoupling error occurs when there has not been any change in temperature for 40 seconds.

Thanks Carl,
Do you know what thermister would work with a davinci 1.oa?

Actually it looks like a 100k would work. Anything else I should know before I order one?

check your hotend wire harness first, it it known to be problematic for Da Vinci 1.0 and can cause the issue as Carl described. If you have unreliable wire harness, the issue shows up more frequently as your hotend moves and sometimes reboot printer fix it, but you want to take care of it for good.

Thanks again for your help. Got the thermistor in tonight and am printing away!

Well I got a couple of prints, but have had the following error again several times. This is what I did/tried
I replaced the thermistor, but since I did not have the plug that goes into the hot end, I cut the wire to the old one and soldered the new thermistor into the old wire with the plug. So I guess it is possible the plug is faulty
That worked only for a short time
Then I tried heating up the hot end and bed and jiggled the wires around to see if one of them were faulty. I was not able to determine that, however in the course of doing that, I untied all of the wires and let them sit freely. This did let me get a 2 hr print in, however my next print failed after 30 mins. You guys mentioned the wire harness, do you have any pics of what you've done to fix that? Any other suggestions?

17:00:10.644 : Printing layer 5 of 60
17:01:41.396 : Printing layer 6 of 60
17:03:12.326 : Printing layer 7 of 60
17:04:48.377 : Printing layer 8 of 60
17:06:19.821 : Printing layer 9 of 60
17:07:44.386 : DebugLevel:14
17:07:44.397 : Error:One heater seems decoupled from thermistor - disabling all for safety!
17:07:44.405 : Error:Could not hold temperature 250.00 measured 231.70 deg. C
17:07:44.411 : Disabling all heaters due to detected sensor defect.
17:07:44.413 : DebugLevel:14
17:07:49.443 : fatal:Heater/sensor failure Printer stopped and heaters disabled due to this error. Fix error and restart with M999.
17:07:49.508 : fatal:Heater/sensor failure Printer stopped and heaters disabled due to this error. Fix error and restart with M999.

Just isolate the wires from the PCB for the thermistor in the head and to t he main board and replace them. There are just two of them. You can splice the new wire to the old wire near the connectors and hop the issue is not closer to the connector or you can source the pins for the connectors and replace the wire from connector to connector. Just try to use the most flexible wire you can find like USB cable or similar. They signal is very low current and voltage so the wire could even be head phone cable.

Carl,
Thank you for your help. I just want to clarify what you are suggesting, since I've rewired the head several things so far. On the left in yellow is my thermistor to the pcb, red on the left is the heater to the wire harness (is that what you call it?). Top left, red and black is to my fan and right is my pcb out to the harness. You are saying I should figure out which wires in the pcb to harness (on right) come from my thermistor and replace them? How do I figure out which ones are the correct wires from the pcb? I assume you've run into this problem. I guess my first shot would be to leave the connector and just solder in a new piece of wire. Did you end up replacing your connectors? if so, how did you figure out the correct connectors to order?

Chip

http://soliforum.com/i/?TOil5Nu.jpg

I replaced my entire controller for a Ramps. But since you want to keep stock just use multimeter set on resistance or continuity and put one lead where one of the thermistor leads connect on the left the probe each pin of the harness connector on the right till you get beep or the absolutely lowest nearest to zero resistance you can get and that will be where the wire on the left feeds through at. Then repeat for the other wire.