Re: Da Vinci Jr 1.0 Pro Firmware 1.0.2 problems

Does reïnstall the previous version xyzware (V1.1.16.3) working for you?

Based on the information on the forum, my guess is the primary function of this update is to block 3rd party slicers? But somehow accidentally affect its own new version of slicer.

What a waste of time and effort. Ultimaker developed Cura and actually add support to their competitor 3D printer.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

No it does not.

If this is what they have done then I'm through with XYZ.  I'll hound them until they take the printer back and refund the money.  I use Cura and Simplify3D, these are way better than their junk slice, and if they have blocked those then I'll never buy from XYZ.

28 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-18 21:48:18)

I think you should just return it if possible. XYZ is a Chinese company. I'm Chinese, so according to my understanding, Chinese company have not evolved to recognize the importance of customer service yet. Just like most Chinese restaurant, the cleanness of the bathroom always a problem. It is not that they can not do a good job, but deep in mind, they don't think it worth the effort. It is burned in our value system and not easy to change.

It take 10 years for most Chinese company to realize the importance of quality over quantity, some company start to appreciate the importance of advertisement and visual appearance of their product. very few company realize the importance of brand and pattern. Most company customer service is for decoration purpose. "Wait, customer service that speaks English? Let me check the salary range."

I think it may take another 10 year for Chinese company to really appreciate the importance of customer service and believe it worth the investment, before that, I doubt you will see major improvement. And if customer like you don't return their product, they will never learn.

As I said, XYZ printer use high quality parts and most part of the hardware is well designed. If you like the price and the enclosure as I did and are capable of doing the RAMPS conversion, I would recommend you buy from ebay for very low price and it will work with Cura and simplify 3D and 3rd party filament. otherwise, stay away from 3D printer build or sold by Chinese company, you will not get timely response from customer service. Currently, customer service that speak English are too expensive for them.

Most other Chinese 3D printer company use Cheap electronic parts and result in unreliable power supply and sd card reader, and there is no firmware update can fix that. If you do like CR-10, be prepared to replace the power supply and motherboard with higher quality one. And be prepared for longer waiting for customer service.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

I think you should just return it if possible. XYZ is a Chinese company. I'm Chinese, so according to my understanding, Chinese company have not evolved to recognize the importance of customer service yet. Just like most Chinese restaurant, the cleanness of the bathroom always a problem. It is not that they can not do a good job, but deep in mind, they don't think it worth the effort. It is burned in our value system and not easy to change.

It take 10 years for most Chinese company to realize the importance of quality over quantity, some company start to appreciate the importance of advertisement and visual appearance of their product. very few company realize the importance of brand and pattern. Most company customer service is for decoration purpose. "Wait, customer service that speaks English? Let me check the salary range."

I think it may take another 10 year for Chinese company to really appreciate the importance of customer service and believe it worth the investment, before that, I doubt you will see major improvement. And if customer like you don't return their product, they will never learn.

As I said, XYZ printer use high quality parts and most part of the hardware is well designed. If you like the price and the enclosure as I did and are capable of doing the RAMPS conversion, I would recommend you buy from ebay for very low price and it will work with Cura and simplify 3D and 3rd party filament. otherwise, stay away from 3D printer build or sold by Chinese company, you will not get timely response from customer service. Currently, customer service that speak English are too expensive for them.

Most other Chinese 3D printer company use Cheap electronic parts and result in unreliable power supply and sd card reader, and there is no firmware update can fix that. If you do like CR-10, be prepared to replace the power supply and motherboard with higher quality one. And be prepared for longer waiting for customer service.

It's interesting, but a company I recently worked for bought up a bunch of Chinese made power supplies. We tore them down and found that 90% of them where all made by the same company and same PCB design and just had a different name on the sticker and sometimes a different case cover. The board inside was the same on 90% of the units we tore down. So chances are, regardless of the brand you buy as long as it is Chinese it will most likely be made by the same company that makes all of them.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

30 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-18 22:57:11)

You don't know China, the 90% of them where all appears to made by the same company and same PCB design doesn't means the are actually made by the same company.

In China, many board and PCB are so called public design, they are not patterned, any small company or workshop can use the design for free and make them, and sell them. They are mostly soldered manually by hand with cheap electronic parts, terrible quality control, these company have not yet evolved from quantity to quality, and the life span of the product is unpredictable.

However, the product sale to United states are usually fully tested and will work for reasonable long time because U.S. law require free replacement but not in China. The sticker you see are usually the company that buy these public design boards form different workshop and test them and sale to united states. But if you buy them on ebay and they ship from China, the result depends. But they still offer free replacement most of the time because the production cost are extremely low. Anet A8, CR-10, PRUSA all use these kind of power supply.

Large company actually make the rest of the power supply, they have their own design and soldered by machine, you usually don't see solder beads on these boards and they have higher standard for the electronic parts they use. like Da vinci boards.

yizhou.he wrote:

Based on the information on the forum, my guess is the primary function of this update is to block 3rd party slicers? But somehow accidentally affect its own new version of slicer.

I'm certain it's not this insidious. It looks like they tried to implement a new feature through firmware, namely continue a print after a shutdown or power loss, and it borked up other stuff. It's also pretty clear that XYZ currently doesn't know how to fix it yet, or they would have implemented a patch already.

Dagamon wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

I'm certain it's not this insidious. It looks like they tried to implement a new feature through firmware, namely continue a print after a shutdown or power loss, and it borked up other stuff. It's also pretty clear that XYZ currently doesn't know how to fix it yet, or they would have implemented a patch already.

Do I need to tell them downgrade the firmware can fix the problem? It is not that difficult!

I thought all firmware updates above 1.2.x locked the bootloader so you could no longer downgrade.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I thought all firmware updates above 1.2.x locked the bootloader so you could no longer downgrade.

Check out his statement

"Do I need to tell them downgrade the firmware can fix the problem?"

35 (edited by dpowellmeii 2017-10-20 03:40:52)

yizhou.he wrote:

Do I need to tell them downgrade the firmware can fix the problem? It is not that difficult!

If you have that kind of pull, please do. My current firmware is 1.0.2. That was the latest update on the Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 Pro.

yizhou.he wrote:
Dagamon wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

It is comments like this that makes one think you might work for or be associated with XYZ.

You say you are just a normal Chinese guy. If that is true then they could care less what you have to say to them and they will not listen to you.

But if they would listen to you then that means you have some sort of influence and you are not just some ordinary Chinese guy.

dpowellmeii wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

If you have that kind of pull, please do. My current firmware is 1.0.2. That was the latest update on the Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 Pro.

The latest will be the one that is locked. On the other models it was 1.2.X but since this is a newer model the rev numbers are lower.

carl_m1968 wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:
Dagamon wrote:

It is comments like this that makes one think you might work for or be associated with XYZ.

You say you are just a normal Chinese guy. If that is true then they could care less what you have to say to them and they will not listen to you.

But if they would listen to you then that means you have some sort of influence and you are not just some ordinary Chinese guy.

OK, sorry for bad English, that sentence supposed to be sarcasm, I'm surprised no one gets it. I still leaning how to get sarcasm right.

It's a bizarre glitch. I can print a benchy or a Marvin fine, but any thing larger will lock up the printer.

I've contacted XYZ multiple times without resolution. Has anyone figured out a solution for this issue?

Dagamon wrote:

It's a bizarre glitch. I can print a benchy or a Marvin fine, but any thing larger will lock up the printer.

I've contacted XYZ multiple times without resolution. Has anyone figured out a solution for this issue?

Call them and hound them. You'll get someone pretty quick. This is the last response I got last week.

We got the feedback of our Engineers in regards with this firmware issue.

We will be releasing a new firmware version by next week, I will let you know once its out.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
Customer Care (Kristel)
XYZPrinting Inc.
www.xyzprinting.com

Looks like firmware v 1.0.3 fixed the issue. I'm back to business.

I was finally able to update to 1.0.3 but my printer is still stopping during prints and saying filament jam when it's not actually jammed.  Yesterday it stopped about half way through a 9 hour print that's 105mm tall and said there was a filament jam.  I immediately removed the print and told it to load spool to see if it would feed the filament.  As I suspected, there was no filament jam because it fed just fine.

This seems to only be happening on long time prints.  I tried to print another object that was shorter but still had a long print time and the same thing happened.

To me it still sounds like an electrical issue. There seems to be an intermittent connection that maybe opening during print head movement which is causing the temperature to drop and thus resulting in a jam. Another possibility is that your filament is not consistent and at some point could be allowing the spin sensor in the head to stop spinning which would result in a jam. Could also be dust build up that is allowing the spin sensor to slip. If the machine senses that little black and white disk has stopped spinning it will throw up a jam alarm.

try to feel the step motor on the extruder and see if it is over heating after long print. Da vinci Jr. use high current on motor drive and this is set digitally and can be further increased by firmware update. the optimal current for different motor can be different and that may explain why your phenotype is more obvious than others. You can also notice increased noise coming from the extruder step motor during printing after open the printer door/cover if that is the case. You will also notice warmer step motor after short printing and hot step motor after long printing.

Overheated step motor will soft the PLA and change its shape and the filament spin sensor will slip. However, after a short break, temperature will decrease, allowing the extruder to function. I don't think it is easy to adjust the motor current for Jr. you can either add cooling fan on step motor or get a different step motor that can handle higher motor current. I would recommend neither method if your Jr. Pro is still under warranty. Keep hunting customer service is the best option. (Is this right English expression? I'm not sure, saw someone use the hunting expression somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.)

This morning I printed a small part which completed fine.  I shut the printer off after the nozzle cooled down and left the house for the day. 

When I got back this evening I turned the printer back and it said unfinished print detected and asked if I wanted to cancel.  I pressed cancel and it proceeded to heat the print nozzle up then moved the print bed to the front and said remove object. 

There was no unfinished print as the previous print completed correctly.  There is clearly still a software issue.

Did you press ok on control panel before shut the printer off? It might make difference.

There is clearly still a software issue, if you turn off printer when it is printing and turn it back on, you might found more problem even thought that supposed to be the intended improvement.

yizhou.he wrote:

Did you press ok on control panel before shut the printer off? It might make difference.

There is clearly still a software issue, if you turn off printer when it is printing and turn it back on, you might found more problem even thought that supposed to be the intended improvement.

Yes I did click OK and then waited for the print nozzle to cool down before shutting off the printer.

As I've stated previously I have not had a single problem with this printer until this firmware update.

I've been busy for a while but XYZ finally fixed their issues with FW version 1.0.6 but ended up creating some new ones with 1.0.8.  Fortunately it hasn't rendered the printer useless.