Re: Folgertech FT-5 R2 build

Those bearing sometimes come tight IIRC you just need to adjust the screws on the end  I will try to find the article for you on this.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

oil the snot out of them, too... mine were stiff and did not want to move smoothly.. plenty of 3-in-1 oil worked in really helped loosen things up

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Ok, well I've gotten one more to free up and run smoothly, but the third one just will not run smooth. Very stiff in one direction. I've unscrewed the end screws up to 1 full turn ccw and no change.

Here is the video with the information I promised.

I've unscrewed the end screws up to 1 full turn ccw and no change.

Try some spray lube with teflon . But the rail may be toast and need replacement.
Have you tested the power supply Yet?

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

30 (edited by pap4tinker 2017-10-26 14:41:01)

Thanks for the video, I will see about turning the screws out some more and re-tightening. I did plug in my power supply, and I'm getting 24.14V out of all three connections, though I have not tested for a load, it at least puts out the correct voltage. I also found out I'm missing several ACM (the aluminum composite material I think) parts. My small bag of those parts was torn when I got it, but I think it was inside of another bag so I didn't think anything had fallen out. Perhaps it fell out before it was put into another bag, who knows. Waiting on a response from them on that.

Ok, so I've discovered why one of the rails refuses to free up. The darned thing is WARPED! sigh...

pap4tinker wrote:

Ok, so I've discovered why one of the rails refuses to free up. The darned thing is WARPED! sigh...

UGH.. sorry to hear that.. hopefully they will get you a new one sent out, ASAP...

Do yourself a huge favor tho - do a complete inventory of the remaining items in case there is anything else missing... count the screws, nuts, washers... everything! make a list, and make sure they get it, BEFORE the 30 days is up.

Ideally, you should have done this as soon as you got it, but I do understand the excitement involved in getting the kit and wanting to get started building.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:

Ideally, you should have done this as soon as you got it, but I do understand the excitement involved in getting the kit and wanting to get started building.

Well, I went through their main checklist showing each package and individual (not in a package) item. One should not have to count every individual screw, or ensure that every size of parts is correct before beginning assembly. Now I admit that the missing ACM parts should have been caught under normal circumstances, however this is the R2 kit and things have changed. The number of items has changed as well as the way the ACM parts (formerly melamine) are cut, and do not match the photo. (difficult to identify or know if your missing something that is actually supposed to be there). So counting and checking each individual item ultimately ends up at a waste of time. However, the other outcome of this situation is wasting even more time waiting to see if they will send missing and or replacement parts. Then again, one wouldn't go through and check the level of every part either... SIGH,,... thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now. Well, back to work on my FT-5 R2!

34 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-10-26 21:53:20)

When I purchased my kit i did a quick check of major parts sorted hardware and dove into the build . In the end the PS wire was the only major  issue and there were a few missing 5 mm t nuts  FT responded favorably  to my requests.

PS I see they are no offering a frame upgrade kit for $ 65  out of stock  of course.

And welcome to the fun world of building a FT kit . IMHO worth it in the end.

Do yourself a huge favor tho - do a complete inventory of the remaining items in case there is anything else missing... count the screws, nuts, washers... everything! make a list, and make sure they get it, BEFORE the 30 days is up.

Or just build the thing in less than 30 days and test it no need to count screws that way.

Tin Falcon wrote:

When I purchased my kit i did a quick check of major parts sorted hardware and dove into the build . In the end the PS wire was the only major  issue and there were a few missing 5 mm t nuts  FT responded favorably  to my requests.

PS I see they are no offering a frame upgrade kit for $ 65  out of stock  of course.

And welcome to the fun world of building a FT kit . IMHO worth it in the end.

Or just build the thing in less than 30 days and test it no need to count screws that way.

I kind of agree. If I thought it would take me more than a few days to build, I would forgo a kit and just buy a complete unit. My time is worth more to me than spending a month of my free time to build a printer.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

36 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-27 02:28:05)

pap4tinker wrote:
heartless wrote:

Well, I went through their main checklist showing each package and individual (not in a package) item. One should not have to count every individual screw, or ensure that every size of parts is correct before beginning assembly. Now I admit that the missing ACM parts should have been caught under normal circumstances, however this is the R2 kit and things have changed. The number of items has changed as well as the way the ACM parts (formerly melamine) are cut, and do not match the photo. (difficult to identify or know if your missing something that is actually supposed to be there). So counting and checking each individual item ultimately ends up at a waste of time. However, the other outcome of this situation is wasting even more time waiting to see if they will send missing and or replacement parts. Then again, one wouldn't go through and check the level of every part either... SIGH,,... thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now. Well, back to work on my FT-5 R2!

Don't feel bad or frustrated! I think you are doing great and you learned a lot! Don't worry, nothing in that kit can not be purchased separately or 3D printed. Even you don't get replacement, you can easily buy the replacement part from ebay or homedepot with a little cost. It is nothing compared with what you have learned and have achieved.

It is the challenge and the achievement that you are looking for when you decide to buy this kits. It is the experience that matters, troubles, difficulty and challenge included. You want more than just a 3D printer. If it is easy, there is no point. Who will by a 3000 pieces puzzle that is already pre-assambled and just frame it and hang on the living room?

My first 3D printer is an monoprice maker select mini, it only build 120mm X 120mm X 120mm, and super noisy and I'm not allowed to use it to print anymore. Almost every part is being mod or replaced with 3D printed parts, I even attempted to build 2 case for it. Now I have three other printer that build larger volume and very quiet, but I still can not make the decision to sell or throw away the mini. I learned so much from this printer and it has become important part of my life, my memory, my history. And one day when you looked at your FT-5, you will have the same feeling.

So, keep the good work, you can do it!

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

While I completely agree that one "should not need to" do this.. the reality is: YES, you SHOULD to do a FULL inventory of ALL parts. Things get missed all the time. Maybe not great, but for the price, it is what it is.

And while it "should" only take a couple of days to actually put the thing together, sometimes other "life" things get in the way and before you know it, poof... days have gone by with no progress.

The 2020 Prusa kit took me about a day and a half (of actual building time, but this was spread out over the course of a week - couple hours here & there)
the Kossel kit about the same...
The FT-5 took about 2 and a half, maybe 3 days... but then, I had a few issues with various parts (lead screw bearing mounts, and the slider rails) that had to be sorted out before I was able to continue.
And even after doing a full inventory, I found during the actual build stage that I was sent 2 of one part, instead of 1ea of mirrored parts...
I also took my time with the wiring to make things as neat as possible from the start. (i really dislike messy wiring)

Building a kit is a valuable experience. You learn a LOT from these kits... from how they are put together to how to tweak and flash firmware and how to calibrate. (all skills translatable to other machines). They may not be for everyone, but they can be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I got some more done on my build today, skipped over some processes and moved on to what I could do. Unfortunately , I found out today that the LCD pcb board is bent and cracked. Looks like the knob was crammed on tight and broke it, or something in the box shifted and broke it. Sigh... But you're right yizhou.he, even if they don't send me replacement parts, I CAN and WILL buy the replacement parts that I need. Still sucks I will have to fork out more money, but the time wasted is more troublesome. Well, on to some wiring. Still waiting on a reply for my bent rails so I have no gantry yet. yikes

wow sounds like more than your share of out of box failures. Would not hurt to test the themisistors.  My friend had to replace both of his these will lock out the system on testing. 
Sorry to here this has been a less that stellar experience for you . But I think you know to push forward.
This is the risk you take  when purchasing a kit. And I think this is the reason Heartless is so Insistent about a full inventory,inspection  and even component testing as much as practical.
That way you have a full list to present to the factory.

40 (edited by pap4tinker 2017-10-29 20:20:10)

Tin Falcon wrote:

Would not hurt to test the themisistors.  .

In fact, I tested the thermistors, heater, bed heater, looked over the mks board, checked board for warp, tried to look over other parts for cracks or defects. The box was damaged on one corner when I received it, perhaps that had something to do with 2 of the problems.

1. Wrong belt pulleys
2. Warped rails
3. Cracked/broken LCD board

The other missing parts were not missing, they are no longer used. Unfortunately the paper that says that, did not come out until after I got my box and even then, I skipped the top part which states that. I assumed it was something about build guide number info or something I didn't care about LOL.

So, I would say the only real problem created by the company so far was giving me the wrong pulleys, other two could be due to package mishandling.

41 (edited by pap4tinker 2017-10-31 15:16:26)

So, I spent my build time today removing the FT-15 which is now the FT-16 (board the bed goes on) and flipping it around because I put it like I did the base plate as the instructions were not clear. Fortunately John Folger replied to a facebook message I was concerned with the holes not lining up and he set it straight. So, I'm back to where I was, and still waiting on a reply for my LCD board and linear rails and bearings.

YEA! Getting one of parts shipped out to me! They must be unconvinced that the warped rails will cause me trouble. They asked me to install them and let them know if I have any more trouble out of them. I think I will just look for some better quality rails and forget about it.

I've got my gantry assembled with the motor, all is well except the top rail that still has some skipping/bumping while sliding, not very smooth. I hope it doesn't effect the print quality. I've got the bed mounted, still waiting on the new LCD screen. It seems to me that some of the screws recommended need to be between 3-5mm longer than what they say, because they would not fully engage the nylock nuts otherwise. Also, I have been adding some flat washers, and lock washers here and there causing me to use longer screws as well. It just makes more sense to me.

pap4tinker wrote:

I've got my gantry assembled with the motor, all is well except the top rail that still has some skipping/bumping while sliding, not very smooth. I hope it doesn't effect the print quality. I've got the bed mounted, still waiting on the new LCD screen. It seems to me that some of the screws recommended need to be between 3-5mm longer than what they say, because they would not fully engage the nylock nuts otherwise. Also, I have been adding some flat washers, and lock washers here and there causing me to use longer screws as well. It just makes more sense to me.

If you are using nylock nuts then you only need a single flat washer. There is no need for a lock washer as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

If you are using nylock nuts then you only need a single flat washer. There is no need for a lock washer as well.

Thanks for making sure I knew about that. I used the lock washers on the screws going into a threaded hole as well as one or two other parts that used regular nuts, not crimp or nylock.

46 (edited by pap4tinker 2017-11-02 16:46:06)

http://soliforum.com/i/?EFDpYHY.jpgHere are yesterdays pictures of progresshttp://soliforum.com/i/?812vzZX.jpg

Ok, I got the entire gantry assembly installed, aligned and sliding smoothly. Here's how I aligned everything.

HOW I ALIGNED MY GANTRY AND Z T-RODS (threaded rods)

Do step 10) 18 before you install the gantry, it's just easier. And make sure to install the idler pulleys and that they are the correct height with belt mounts on the gantry (and the motor). The gantry is a set height so I secured my pulleys by this.

One of my Y axis 2020 rails was 0.5 to 1mm longer than the others not allowing me to install it. So I had to adjust the length.

Loosened the X axis 2020 rail from the ACM parts.

Next, I got the Y axis rails down and placed the X axis in the middle, ran the bed up to near the top and tightened the t-rods.
Next, moved the X axis to the rear and tightened those and then to the front and tightened those.
Finally I tightened the X axis 2020 back down to the ACM parts.

I ran the bed up and down (especially near the top where every print must start) to ensure it was smooth. It was not totally, so I repeated the process and everything lined up. I've heard some people advising to remove the top t-rod mounts so it doesn't bind, but it you align it right, it doesn't bind. At least not on mine.

Next, I found the gantry had a slight stickiness to the rear of it's Y travel. I loosened 4 bolts on the rear of the slide rails, placed the gantry back there and re tightened. Rechecked everything, did it again on the front and I now have a Z, X and Y axis running as smooth as possible for the parts I got.

The last thing to do in this process is go back and check EVERY screw you loosened to ensure you didn't forget one, and get ready for lots of squatting up and down exercise as you loosen and tighten everything repeatedly.

Question;
How many links did you guys use on your X and Y axis cable chains?
The book says no more than 21 on the X and no more than 22 on the Y, but this will not allow full travel in either direction.

49 (edited by heartless 2017-11-03 12:54:55)

mine uses 20 on X (not counting the end links that get screwed down - just the intermediates) and 22 on Y

If you have it set up correctly, that should be more than sufficient for full travel.

http://soliforum.com/i/?QVxrFns.jpg

Oh, nice CNC add on! How do you like it?

I got my beast almost done today, I have to wire the Y motors together and plug them in, and do something with the hot end wires for securing them  out of the way. Then on to firmware, end stops and test print I guess. Then on to lights, enclosure and viola!