1 (edited by william 2017-02-05 15:19:25)

Topic: Is my feed screw too long?

I was following the assembly instructions (release rev 21).
When I got to step 9, I noticed that I cannot get the feed screw to protrude 5mm out of the barrel.
I have loosened the clamping screw on the shaft collar.
Nothing tightens the feed screw, I can pull it out.
Yet, when I push it as far in as I can, there is still a good 13.74 mm sticking out. (See attached image.)

Any ideas?

Re: Is my feed screw too long?

http://soliforum.com/i/?8jLjNB6.jpg

Could you post a few photos of the rest of the machine as assembled so far? Particularly everything from the gearmotor to the flange.

Looks good assembly wise. I think it's a combination of the barrel/flange being a little short plus the auger being a little long. I think you'd be fine as is, but a couple suggestions:

1.) Use the 4 extra acrylic spacers to move the gear motor backwards, by installing the spacers between the gearbox and chassis.
2.) Or use the same spacers between the flange and the lasercut acrylic part.

Of the two options I'd lean towards #1.

looks like this right now, but like you said, I'll probably be fine anyways, so ill proceed.

I have this same problem. I just wonder how much room I will need between my nozzle end and the end of the auger. Any specifications for this measurement?

With the assembly connected as it appears in the instructions and as William shows above, I have about 1mm or less clearance between my auger end (pushed fully forward as could be possible before pressure is applied by the plastic). Of course when underway, It would be more like 3mm clearance. However, the example shown in the instructions would have me believe proper clearance should be more like 13mm (estimated). I think having the auger so close to the end would prove to have colors not mix well, is this true?

Don't worry too much about the nozzle to auger clearance, just measure how much of the auger sticks out of the barrel. The target is around 5, maybe 10mm. If you have longer than that sticking out, use the 4 extra acrylic spacers to move the gear motor backwards, by installing the spacers between the gearbox and chassis.

10 (edited by pap4tinker 2017-02-14 04:05:24)

Ok, then I shall have to do that after I locate some longer screws. Thank you for replying.

The supplied screws are sufficiently long enough.