Topic: Supports

Hi, I know this has probably been asked 1,000 times, but I haven't been able to find the answer yet.  I have a da vinci mini and am looking to print something resembling a door handle - basically, it has 2 sides with a bridge in between.  It will obviously need support for the middle pieces, but when I select "support" in the print page, it gives what looks like a horrendous amount of pla about to be added - that would be very difficult to remove after.  Is this it?  Am I destined to never print something like this with this printer, or am I missing something?  I see other images of nice column supports on other models, but it doesn't look like that here.  Thank you!!!

Re: Supports

Different software generate supports differently. Yes that is that way that they generate supports. it is not attached as firmly and should break of fairly easy. it may leave marks on the print that will need some finishing but no print is supposed to be considered ready to use out of the printer. they all need the extra amount at the base sanded, Some may need vapor finishing or sealing and painting.

But yes they supports will waste a large amount of filament.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by sdemaio 2017-02-05 06:29:30)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Different software generate supports differently. Yes that is that way that they generate supports. it is not attached as firmly and should break of fairly easy. it may leave marks on the print that will need some finishing but no print is supposed to be considered ready to use out of the printer. they all need the extra amount at the base sanded, Some may need vapor finishing or sealing and painting.

But yes they supports will waste a large amount of filament.

Thank you, Carl.  That is exactly the answer I needed.  I appreciate the explanation.  I'm much less worried about the waste than I am the ability to finish once off the table.  I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out.  Thanks!

Is it not possible to change the orientation to avoid supports or a least minimise them ?

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

scobo wrote:

Is it not possible to change the orientation to avoid supports or a least minimise them ?

Good thinking, but unfortunately this particular one arches up and meets in the middle higher than the sides. I did print it last night with the sports and when I went to take it off the bed, the supports broke right off. In the program, they look solid, but in reality, they're very thin and flimsy. It worked really well. Glad I came here and glad I tried it. Thanks!