Topic: Filawinder Mosfet

Just got done putting my kit together, and ran across the craziest thing....... I cannot get anything to move??? Everything lights up as it should but none of the buttons or potentiometer do anything as far as getting the servo or motor to move in either auto or manual mode.

When I started testing with my multimeter I found out that touching the lowest pin on the mosfet (3 vertical pins on left side of picture) with anything conductive will make the motor come to life and spin!!!! When I check the motor pins I get steady 9v with no matter what the potentiometer position is...... I don't currently have the right micro usb cable and can't use troubleshoot mode, but my multimeter says all the other swithces/buttons work as they should.
http://soliforum.com/i/?cTStqvq.jpg

What gives???? Is it just a bad mosfet or is something more wrong with the board I got??

Please help, as I have a project at work that is being held up due to this.

Re: Filawinder Mosfet

Is the potentiometer wired correctly?  The wire should be in the same order at the pot as on the board, with the middle wire on the pot being the middle wire at the board.  Are the LEDs steady, or is one of them blinking, indicating constant reboots?

IanJohnson wrote:

Is the potentiometer wired correctly?  The wire should be in the same order at the pot as on the board, with the middle wire on the pot being the middle wire at the board.  Are the LEDs steady, or is one of them blinking, indicating constant reboots?

Yes, the pot is wired correctly(just went and triple checked)   There is one steady green led, although when I first turn on the board I see the red led flash for a fraction of a second, but I'm assuming that's normal?

I am stumped... everything else checks out w/ my multimeter....... Can I pay you guys to overnight me a new board and I can send this one back? Or can I buy just the adapter board? On the site I see a pcb kit but i dont need sensor board or laser(quite possibly don't even need the nano)....

I'm trying to source IRLB8721 (part# on the bad mosfet) but am having a hard time finding someone who can overnight one here.... Plus I'm pretty sure soldering in new components will void whatever warranty I have w/ you guys

Your mosfet is probably not broken; the motor pins are supposed to be at Vcc. The mosfet pulls one of them to ground, allowing current to flow.
Is 9V your supply voltage, or is that what is left of 12V after some other part is shorting out?

Jelle wrote:

Your mosfet is probably not broken; the motor pins are supposed to be at Vcc. The mosfet pulls one of them to ground, allowing current to flow.
Is 9V your supply voltage, or is that what is left of 12V after some other part is shorting out?

I have 12.18v across the unused fan pins........ What leads me to think that it's the mosfet is because all i do is touch ONE pin and nothing else and the motor starts to run..... The servo will not move aside from the initial "jump" no matter what i do

Email me your address at filawinder @ gmail and I will see if I can get something's my out.

IanJohnson wrote:

Email me your address at filawinder @ gmail and I will see if I can get something's my out.

email sent..... thanks a bunch

Well...... I'm back to square 1..... I soldered in 2 new mosfets this morning only to get the exact same result.....

Touching ONE INDIVIDUAL pin will start the motor...... but nothing else works..... This makes absolutely no sense...... what could i be shorting/ changing by only touching 1 pin

At least I got my usb cable delivered so we will see what the serial monitor is up to

Going to take a video now...... and hook up the lap top

Wish me luck!!!!

Once in awhile a ribbon cable has a short.  Disconnect that and see if it makes a difference.

IanJohnson wrote:

Once in awhile a ribbon cable has a short.  Disconnect that and see if it makes a difference.

I unplugged the ribbon cable and it made no difference..... Took a video if it helps.... I know my phone won't focus for shit

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8A_i … kQ0YnhzU1U

Downloaded the v11 firmware to re-flash the nano now that i have a usb cable..... but it seems to not want to compile....Even though that EEPROMex tab is clearly there?????

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

In file included from C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\FilaWinder_v11\FilaWinder_v11.ino:6:0:

sketch\EEPROMVar.h:1:22: fatal error: EEPROMex.h: No such file or directory

#include <EEPROMex.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Ok so maybe I should do a search before asking stupid questions.......

Found the #include "EEPROMex.h" fix in the sticky and VOILA!!!! I'm off to go re-flash firmware.....

Ok, on to the next problem.... apparently it might have been the uno board all along.....

Cannot get my laptop to connect to the uno no matter what....

When I plug in the usb tx and rx blink and pwr stays on as it should Arduino software recognizes the board is plugged in and selects com port 5(I have Arduino Nano and ATmega328 selected)....... so far so good

Selecting Board Info gives me
BN: Unknown board
VID: 0403
PID: 6001
SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

But everytime I go to upload I get..... avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync resp=0xd6

Anyone ever run into this? A google search turns up nada on that specific error...... Is my nano just dead?? Does that explain the mosfet behavior?

The Nano is most likely dead.  It might be the problem, or it might have been killed by a short.  Check the ribbon cable and the sensor, and maybe the buttons again.  If it is not the board, but something that plugs into it, it would be a shame to kill the new one.

IanJohnson wrote:

The Nano is most likely dead.  It might be the problem, or it might have been killed by a short.  Check the ribbon cable and the sensor, and maybe the buttons again.  If it is not the board, but something that plugs into it, it would be a shame to kill the new one.

I will re-check everything for continuity to see if there is a short outside of the boards.....

I did get my hands on a uno and loaded the firmware on to it..... is it just as simple as jumping the pins defined in the top of the firmware to the uno or is there more to it?

They are the same, just different form factor.

IanJohnson wrote:

They are the same, just different form factor.

There are a couple of minor differences I am running into:

There are only 6 Analog inputs on my uno vs 8 on the nano, thankfully it seems that you only use 5 pins...... but the trouble I run into is pin 6 does not exist on my uno so..........

int knob_Pin = 6;   // Pot that controls the fast puller speed to raise the loop

has been renamed

int knob_Pin = 5;   // Pot that controls the fast puller speed to raise the loop

also what other pins need to be jumped that are not specifically defined .... I'm assuming vin gnd rst are all mandatory? What about 5v, rst, ref, and rx tx?

It should only be 5v. The laser and VCC are fed by the Arduino. Only the servo gets power from the regulator.

I'm pretty sure I just fried my uno bench testing the adapter board........ at least I know what the culprit was...... It's quitting time for the weekend, and hopefully Monday I can get my hands on some new parts.

Until then I'm planning to drink enough beer to forget this ever happened!!!!

You are getting the exact same thing that i was getting with my winder. It is the NANO!

No movement to the Motor
No movement to the servo
I could get the motor to move when I 'touched' the pins on the board that the Nano drops on to
I couldn't get my computer to write to the Nano
Computer would compile but couldn't write to the nano
Replaced Nano and now I'm 15 pounds into extruding

I picked one up off Amazon and it worked like a champ!

Remember to wear your ESD strap, Arduinos like to die from 'shock'

Mine was a sunfounder, but I see they don't have just the nano for sale right now. Order in pairs, since the knock-offs can be a lower quality.