Topic: Looking for Simplify3D settings for solidoodle 2

Hey,

I am trying to get the best PLA prints from my solidoodle 2 and my friends say that Simplify3D is the best printer software.
Does any of you have pre-installed/saved settings for this program?

What do you use for best results?

Thanks!

Re: Looking for Simplify3D settings for solidoodle 2

There is no standard formula.
That said I only use pla well so far 90% of the time I did try some Ngen and I just purchased a roll of print2cast. Even after 2 years of printing every roll of filament can be an adventure. every roll every color every print every machine has an ideal setting.
that said IMHO 3 perimeters 3 bottom layers 15-20%  honeycomb infill is a good place to start good filament will have a temp range middle of the road is like a good starting point.
Make sure your first layer is good . you may have to start a print a few times . It is not worth continuing if layer one is not right DAMHIKT.
are you getting good prints??

The simplify 3d troubleshooting guide is your best resource. IMHO even slic3r and cura users should have this link bookmarked.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin … eshooting/
That said I have had many compliments on my prints from more experienced users.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

i am not getting good prints most of the time but sometimes it is pretty decent.

i have the z wobble effect, known issue of the SD2. i need a proper string to get rid of the issue. found this article on the workaround
http://www.thehacksmith.ca/solidoodle-a … h-upgrade/

i am using repetier host and slicer 1.2.9 most of the time and i am really not sure what i am doing wrong but sometimes the first layer just not stick at all. PLA 190, bed 65 C.

the skirt i use is just not sticking, seems that the extruder does not give sufficient stuff. sometimes its just fine.

this is why i wanted to try the simplify3d because it seems a decent software.

may i ask you to share your filament/etc settings you have.

thanks!

Post's attachments

IMG_20170129_184744.jpg 76.11 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

shomci wrote:

i am not getting good prints most of the time but sometimes it is pretty decent.

i have the z wobble effect, known issue of the SD2. i need a proper string to get rid of the issue. found this article on the workaround
http://www.thehacksmith.ca/solidoodle-a … h-upgrade/

i am using repetier host and slicer 1.2.9 most of the time and i am really not sure what i am doing wrong but sometimes the first layer just not stick at all. PLA 190, bed 65 C.

the skirt i use is just not sticking, seems that the extruder does not give sufficient stuff. sometimes its just fine.

this is why i wanted to try the simplify3d because it seems a decent software.

may i ask you to share your filament/etc settings you have.

thanks!

A better suggestion would be for you to post your settings and then we can help you figure out what to change so you can see where you went wrong in the first place.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

as far as z axis back lash the well nut is an easy solution.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Gr … ut/3012496

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/008236/008236709049.jpg

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

also for starters try booting the heat to 200. and give a try

hey everyone,

thanks for helping me out. i really appreciate it.

Tin Falcon: i try to find this well nut, but in the meantime i am lookng for something can be printed at home smile
calr_m1968: my settings as follows (attachment)

so i definitely want to fix the z wobbling and the PLA cooling.
here is a link with my latest photos https://goo.gl/photos/SNq6CzYCGmaNAZ1R6

i have this noob setup and actually worked.
https://goo.gl/photos/g8vay9QJLXo3ampU9
https://goo.gl/photos/g8vay9QJLXo3ampU9

before
https://goo.gl/photos/YH6C431JaRjJesDJ8
https://goo.gl/photos/YH6C431JaRjJesDJ8
after
https://goo.gl/photos/wYbjevRkdjkvq5By6
https://goo.gl/photos/wYbjevRkdjkvq5By6
yes it peeled itself off a bit but the print is actually usable.

used this model http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30828

settings were with simplify3d:
Fast method, for quick prints, beauty is not an option smile

nozzle: 0,35
ext. multiplier: 0,92
ext width: 0,35
bed: 60 C
extr: 200C (last successful print)

and here is a video, i dont know if you have the same issue, loose bearings or what. is it an issue or a feature at all? smile

https://goo.gl/photos/KqCTNVURERAgc14U6

Is your nozzle a .35? Most are .40, a .35 is sort of an oddball you did on purpose size. If it is .35 then your extrusion width is wrong. In Simplify3d it should be set to auto. If you want to set it for manual the a .35 nozzle if that is what you have should be set for .42 and not the actual size of the nozzle. A .40 nozzle would be set to .48.
I would also set your extrusion multiplier back to 1.00 and try a print with those settings i just suggested.

For PLA I actually run my bed at 90 with great results. On small prints with PLA a fan is a must or you will need to print multiple copies. The idea is to give the previous layer time to cool some before printing on it. Other wise the heat in the print will just keep building.

Based on your pictures I can see some shifting. That would be possibly too much or to little current to the motor on that axis.

Have you calibrated the extruder steps per mm properly? Seeing your settings in S3D I am guessing no and you are having to compensate.

Your pictures also show signs of over extrusion again a calibration issue and some areas look too hot. Have you confirmed what your actual temp is versus reported temp?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Pre about 1/2 way through 2013 SD's came with a .35 nozzle.  It would be worth the effort to verify your nozzle diameter.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

10 (edited by AZERATE 2017-01-31 04:20:10)

I agree with wardjr. I have several SD2s and know that specific printer inside and out. If your nozzle is .35mm then you want your nozzle settings to be 0.42......this adds 20% expansion for the molten plastic. You are getting close, but you need to dial it in just a little bit more.

I also have extensive PLA experience on the SD2, so I have a couple personal recommendations:
1) Get rid of that stock Solidoodle hotend. It will clog irreparably with your current settings especially with your current settings. It does not like PLA.
2) Get rid of the fan on your bed and replace it with a nozzle fan of some kind. You are currently blowing air over the heating block and more import on the thermistor which will throw off your temperature readings. There is a great abundance of fan/hotend mounts on Thingiverse, but since I am typing on a tablet it is a little difficult to give proper links at th moment. But a nozzle fan will actively cool the layers as they are being lain down.
3) Switch to glass for you bed. You are experiencing lifting which can be combated with painters tape or purple glue sticks. Aqua Net "can" be used for PLA, but the adhesion may be too strong causing damage to said recommended glass.
4) Most important.....switch to a metal hotend like an E3D even if it is a Lite6 if not a v6. With a full metal hotend, a genuine E3D, it has a properly machined and polished heat sink/heartbreak to make PLA clog woes a thing of the past. Even with the worst PLA clogs you can simply heat up to ABS temps them ram some ABSp through the nozzzle to clear said clog then quickly pull it back out.

I switch from ABS to PLA to ABS constantly, so I am speaking with empirical observation.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

carl_m1968,

i think it is .35 but i am not sure about it. i read tons of posts, reviews so i believe them.
the extrusion width. now i understand why it is set for 4.2 in the slicer (i use some profile from the net). however i dont understand the math behind the nozzle diameter and the width. could you pls explain?

PLA 90 C bed, yes i would try that also and i just printed (not nice) fan mount which goes around the nozzle but havent find the wiring diagram for it. old posts here and pics already been deleted. you guys may have schematics on your machines - i hope

extruder calibration - haven't done yet. tomorrow i try to do that based on soliwiki site. - or do you have better site?

extruder - over extrusion and temperatures - i have no equipment on second reading but the thermistor seems to be tight fitted on the nozzle.

AZERATE,

1) which kind of hotend do you prefer? where to buy? what are the catches?
2) work in progress, fan mount printed out - need wiring diagrams
3) already bought the glass - need to cut to shape
4) completely lost now, could you please explain more. i don't understand the short forms of things like E3D

Thanks guys for help again.

so today i cleaned up the machine get rid of the years of dust. the rods are a bit rusty but cleaned them and applied liquid paraffin (i had this at home) but i will buy some machine grease.

printed a little cube. eeehhh not the best. check that one corner. its just a mess smile
https://goo.gl/photos/sbYBwPBE7p67jrbL8

and then the belt tension checking device
https://goo.gl/photos/BcsSNUKCMoLCRu4N8

wasnt my best print so far but trying. smile

this week i would like to figure out how to wire up the cooling fan and get that zwobble eliminating nut.

cheers

I forgot to mention that 90c for the bed is wwwaaaaaaaayyy too hot for PLA. Try 60c. Machines that offer no bed heater are PLA exclusive printers, but with a heater 60c would be the max recommended. Also, if you still have the stock X and Y carriages then you want to use white lithium grease. 3 in 1 oil if you have linear bearings.

E3D is the brand. There are several models depending on what kind of an experience you want in printing. For single extruder machines like the SD2, you want either the v6 or Lite6. The Lite6 is more affordable, but the temperature has a hard stop at 245c. If you only expect to print with ABS, PLA, flexibles, PETG and Bridge, this may be the hotend for you. But if you foresee yourself printing in higher temp materials like most nylons, carbon fiber, polycarbonate, and the like, then you want the v6. If you chose the Lite6 then you can convert to a true v6 down the road by simply swapping the heat sink and heatbreak. The catch is that you absolutely must change a couple settings in your firmware....depending on which board you have, the process is a little different, but there is a great wealth of knowledge on here to help with that.
Printit Industries offers both kit and fully assembled genuine E3D hotends. For transparency, as you can deduce from my avatar, I am a co-founder for Printit. Other genuine resellers in the US include Filastruder and Maker Farm.
Beware of E3D clones and only buy genuine...there is a massive difference.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

yes, 90 C is too much, 60 C worked for me well.

i checked out the site, thanks. after i finished the basic mods and need improvement then i consider it smile i stopped buying stuff like this from ebay. most of them are clones.

today i try to install the fan around the nozzle. hope it helps improving the prints. for now i use a 5 V adaptor to power the fan but the ultimate solution would be to wire it up to the board. there are some sites but pictures wanished. yeah 4-5 years old tech we are talking about.

cheers

one other thing. when i am printing a circle (or tube) when it reaches the start point, it seems it jumps a bit. i can hear the sound of it and the whole extruder and XY axis component jumps a bit. is there a way to avoid this? what does this thing called?

Printit Industries offers both kit and fully assembled genuine E3D hotends. For transparency, as you can deduce from my avatar, I am a co-founder for Printit. Other genuine resellers in the US include Filastruder and Maker Farm.

Another reputable USA dealer of ed3 products is Printedsolid https://printedsolid.com/pages/catalog
He has a real show room offers Skill builder Sundays a monthly 3d printing self help group to get support from others with the same addiction.
I deal with matt as he is more or less local . I have been to his store and attended a couple events.

shomci wrote:

one other thing. when i am printing a circle (or tube) when it reaches the start point, it seems it jumps a bit. i can hear the sound of it and the whole extruder and XY axis component jumps a bit. is there a way to avoid this? what does this thing called?

Sounds like you are having a Y shift. If it only happens once then it is more than likely overextrusion.

AZERATE wrote:

Sounds like you are having a Y shift. If it only happens once then it is more than likely overextrusion.

this is where it jumps a bit, can you see the vertical line?
https://goo.gl/photos/P6D9NnMwcT6r3nJ99

another thing i dont understand, the bottom 2 mm is really nice, 1mm layers and then suddenly it starts degrading. and the top of the part is just like something printed in 0.3 mm layer height
https://goo.gl/photos/H36jr8g6NBTUB8mK8

and this is my curling filament in video
https://goo.gl/photos/pbJtN9YR6AfMzb8S9

still waiting for my digital caliper to get the filament extrusion recalibration get done.

Tin Falcon: thanks i check that out too. i will need international shipping to EU.

If you are in the EU order from ed3 direct. They are UK based.
It would really help if folks posted there location.

AZERATE wrote:

I forgot to mention that 90c for the bed is wwwaaaaaaaayyy too hot for PLA. Try 60c. Machines that offer no bed heater are PLA exclusive printers, but with a heater 60c would be the max recommended. Also, if you still have the stock X and Y carriages then you want to use white lithium grease. 3 in 1 oil if you have linear bearings.

E3D is the brand. There are several models depending on what kind of an experience you want in printing. For single extruder machines like the SD2, you want either the v6 or Lite6. The Lite6 is more affordable, but the temperature has a hard stop at 245c. If you only expect to print with ABS, PLA, flexibles, PETG and Bridge, this may be the hotend for you. But if you foresee yourself printing in higher temp materials like most nylons, carbon fiber, polycarbonate, and the like, then you want the v6. If you chose the Lite6 then you can convert to a true v6 down the road by simply swapping the heat sink and heatbreak. The catch is that you absolutely must change a couple settings in your firmware....depending on which board you have, the process is a little different, but there is a great wealth of knowledge on here to help with that.

will the lite6 fit in place of factory SD2 hotend? and voltage? also is a fan required for the shroud on it? how/where do we get one and wire it?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

will the lite6 fit in place of factory SD2 hotend? and voltage? also is a fan required for the shroud on it? how/where do we get one and wire it?

Been some time since I've seen you on, hope all is well.

The stock extruder will not accept any E3D. However, Printit does sell extruders for Solidoodle that accept E3D v6/Lite6, as well as ones for the Hobb Goblin. Further arrangements can be made if agreed upon. When I was first testing the Lite6, is was in the Beta tester portion of the program as a consumer and it was originally designed to be used without a fan....in theory. So I tested it heavily with hundreds of hours without a fan. I found the print quality was practically indistinguishable from other v5/v6 print qualities. But, it is highly recommended that Lite6 user use a fan especially when using cheap filament. Since the official Lite6 launch, the kit (and our fully assembled package) includes a fan and shroud.

As far as voltage goes, the 12v model is a drop in replacement (depending on your board), only with new wires. The thermistor sensor and Max Temp have changed, so updating firmware is still mandatory with no exceptions. Again, depending on your board, you will need to splice your E motor fan wires with your E3D fan wires unless you are skillful with soldering boards.

yeah I put all 3d printer/scanner stuff on hold over a year ago got very frustrated with multiple issues on both and to continue would have likely ended with  both in the trash lol. had lots of other life issues been dealing with since both healyh and money plus family passing on.

finally got around to thinking about getting stuff going again but very limited budget to work with (like couple bucks to rub together hehe. have decided not to mad/upgrade current printer just get it working like it was designed to again and look for better printer when funds ever come, not anything happening with online sites like 3Dhubs anyway.

I just got the original parts still on my SD2 and its board is the one with non replaceable motor pots but power tabs never burned like some. still got lawsey carriages and linear bearings and alum platform for it in box of parts. thinking my extruder clog may be due to combo of the fat filament roll last year and new hotend heater (still need to remember how to make it adjust for warmup so it dont over shoot temp. also some settings dealing with retraction length pulling melted plastic into cool zone then smushing into cavity jamming filament plus something forien in nozzle or burnt filament restricting out put at times. been fiddling with tiny rods from both ends trying to clear obstructions. got 0.02mm phosfer bronze for up backwards through nozzle, and 1.0mm nickel silver rod for feed down in barrel. have cleared both ways and still something jams nozzle upon feeding filament. getting orifice drills back out now to push what ever up then try to snatch it with rod from top like how I pull all plastic out of barrel hope to stick object with plastic and drag it out. or just spend money for good hotend and use cheap filament on weed eater as its only useful for lol.

got any Solidoodle hot ends that are working? like to at least make it pay for itself  b4 scrapping it for better lower cost make/model. I would rather mod an SD3 than redo this SD2, that way can make an Aprentice like printer with 7" build plate and duel extruder boden FrankinPrinter..

I missed the Christmas givaway and everything last year plus all the guys on here. wish my printer/scanner had stayed working. I still kept getting stl files and things for use later. if I can get things back online it would be nice.

Thanks for all your help. Mitch Garstang

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs