Topic: New filastruder user disappointment

Hey all, new user here.
I'm halfway through construction of the Filastruder, and I have to say that I am incredibly disappointed with the quality of the parts.
Nothing I got fits correctly, it's very messy with the burnt wood and metal filings everywhere, and the instructions are so incomplete that I've had to disassemble and reassemble the machine three times to add in parts that weren't mentioned in the instructions.

Of the parts that don't fit correctly, the 11mm socket would not go on at all. I had to substitute in a 7/16" of my own to make it work. Apparently this is a pretty common occurrence, just based on a quick browse through the forum. When I finally got the auger bit in place, the bearing isn't even close to being compressed, there's a good 2mm of room on either side of it, and that's with the collar moved as far as it possibly can. Then the screws to hold the stall board in place were far too short (only getting about 1/2 thread on a stand-off), and the holes would not even line up correctly. I had to fasten the board in place with some wire because there was no way a bolt was going to make it through there, even if I drilled out the holes on the board. Now I'm trying to fasten the temperature controller in place, and the plastic retaining bracket is impossible to put on without getting in the way of other components (like the switches and the bolts to hold the body together). There is no way to make this fit, so I'm having to glue the controller in place. Oh, and the black plastic braided sleeve was almost entirely frayed and unraveled.

Sorry for the negativity, but that's what I'm experiencing right now. Had I known it would be this bad, I would not have bought this. I really hope future builds will be better than what I got.

Re: New filastruder user disappointment

Tim here, from Filastruder. I'm sorry you're disappointed, and I want to make it right.

Instructions: If you have suggestions for things to add, I'm happy to implement them.

Hex socket: Yes, a batch of augers came in that were slightly oversize for a 11mm socket. If you let me know your order number, I'd be happy to refund some money to cover the socket you picked up locally.

Thrust bearing: It should be able to be compressed. I suspect you're putting the shaft collar in the wrong place - if you post a few photos I'm happy to help. Basically the position of the shaft collar should be such that when the auger is pushed towards the motor, the shaft collar bottoms out on the thrust bearing before the end of the auger bottoms out in the inside of the hex socket.

Stall protection board: Mounting has been revised. Happy to send revised parts if you'd like.

If you want to use the white plastic retaining bracket, you need to trim the "ears" of it off. This is mentioned in the instructions.

The black sleeving is purely cosmetic, and has been deleted in future versions as it frays too easily, as you said.

Hope this helps.