1 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-02-22 01:09:11)

Topic: Print2cast wax filament

Just picked up a roll  will try to give a review.
Has anyone used this stuff any tips.
I heard I may have to change the low extrusion temp in firmware. Some reports suggest paper other hair spray on glass will likely try the former first.
also slower prints to allow cooling time for layers. should be fun.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: Print2cast wax filament

Set up guide

Another issue to overcome is bed adhesion.  Some options include glues, paper, hair spray etc.  Our personal experience has had the best results using hair spray on a heated glass bed.  We recommend spraying the glass with 6 light coats, letting them dry in between coats. 
Enclosures can help increase success.

Here are a few startup recommendations to help get you started. Please keep in mind that these suggestions can be dependent on both your printer design and the geometry of the object you are printing.
a. Extrusion temperature = 135°C-150°C
b. Bed temperature = 70°-80°C
c. Shells = 2-3 (for most models)
d. Print speed is typically 20 to 70mm/s
e. Prints best when the layers have enough time to cool. This can be achieved in several ways. A skirt/brim with all layers, active cooling fan, printing multiple identical items, sacrificial pillar, or extra pause time between layers.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

I do need to mod the firmware on my I3 for this standard #define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170 .
Needs to be changed.  probably to 130.

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-02-20 21:07:40)

OK folks far overdue review. So reset the min temp to 125 in the firmware actualy  wrote a new line of code  comments for wax commented out the old mintemp and commented for regular  use.
then set up to print first layer at 140 and other layers at 135. first layer a little thin but very flat ribbon so let 'er fly.
bed temp 70 c
just used the bed as is hair spray with no precleaning and no fresh coat.
printed with 60 mm per second 3 outer shells 3 bottoms an 4 tops. I was very impressed. not the best print in the world but not bad at all.
Some minor stringing /oozing issues but an easy clean up.
I printed http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22115 at 50%

would you say it works well for casting? I'm thinking of ordering some of this to print some casting projects with.

I have not tried to cast with it it is designed for investment casting. The oscars  that were awarded this year were reportedly 3d printed in wax . whether all 60 were printed or just the prototype I do not know. Aone marine  has done a video or two on thin posted on you tube. Hopefully in the next couple month I can do more prints and maybe a casting or two.
at $50 for a kilo not a terible expense many premium filiaments are close to this price.

I am playing with Print2cast at the moment and trying to get it to work on a particular job that has big overhangs with support structure needed.  I haven't hit on the right combination of variables yet - my overhangs tend to lift and then cause the parts to break free from the bed when the nozzle hits the lifted edges.  I am using hairspray on glass and on my last attempt the base layers stayed firmly fixed to the bed but the part separated a few layers above the bed.  I feel confident I will be able to find the right mix of variables to achieve the desired result.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Maybe I will alter the design to make the overhanging parts separate and affix them after with wax.  This stuff polishes nicely and the prints are destined for castings so will be melted out.

Anyhow, I thought I'd mention that rather than editing firmware to allow cold extrusion, I just put M302 in the setup G-code in slic3r to disable cold extrusion prevention.  I now have a specific wax setup in slic3r and can revert to normal cold extrusion prevention when the printer is re-set or I go back to printing ABS,PLA etc.

I'm working with this material now but can't keep parts from curling off the bed. I'm running a FF Creator Pro with heated glass bed+hair spray @70, extruder @ 135, 20mm/s.  Brim outlines seem to help, but not with tall parts. Do any of you have any updates on what's worked for you?

First layer important. 
I just went back and looked at settings  I used a first layer temp of 140 and printed like 50-60 mm/s .3 mm layers firs layer .2
the print to cast web page suggests higher bed temp.90c

When I was printing mostly PLA, I tried hairspray at one stage and it was lousy.  It turned out I was using the wrong type of hairspray.  It needs to have the right active ingredients.  Take a look here http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?t … ully.2365/.  When I found a hairspray with the right stuff in it, I was away.  I still prefer kapton or more recently Lokbuild for most of my ABS/PLA printing but the hairspray works well for me on wax.  It is still not perfect on large footprint prints and the wax is very poor for overhangs and bridging so I still favor slicing models up so I can print in multiple parts and stick them together afterwards to avoid overhangs and bridges where I can.  This is fine if all you are going to do is use the wax for investment casting.  It joins easily with a hot knife.  For my last wax printing, I ended up using a 2mm raft to de-stress the relative shrinkage between the bed and the part. This helped minimise the effect of the slight lifting I still saw.  Hope this helps.

11 (edited by mgroom 2018-01-04 14:41:03)

Am attempting to use Print2cast on a MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer (2.6.1).
Can't load the wax filament properly, it jam and fills the print head as the drive sprocket forces the filament into the nozzle.
I suspect the firmware set preheat (LOAD temp. 215 deg.) it too high.
Any suggestions?

a...........?

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

mgroom wrote:

Am attempting to use Print2cast on a MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer (2.6.1).
Can't load the wax filament properly, it jam and fills the print head as the drive sprocket forces the filament into the nozzle.
I suspect the firmware set preheat (LOAD temp. 215 deg.) it too high.
Any suggestions?

You need to adjust the temp. Unfortunate  that is not possible on a Makerbot. I have a clone and unless the filament is listed in the compatible filament list which was is not, you cannot use it. The only way around this would be to gut your electronics and convert to an open source controller like I did. You could try flashing Sailfish as well but I don't think it allows you to make changes like this either.

Makerbots are made for the consumer who wants to hit the floor running with the filament they come with. They are made for the consumer who wants to experiment outside the Makerbot box.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.