Topic: Loose belt caused by the filament getting tangled around the holder

Hi all,

I've got a second hand SD4 for 3 months now, and I'm very happy with it, thanks to your support. I started to be enough confident to let it print without monitoring it for more than an hour, but it was a really big mistake. During the last print, the filament gets tangled around the holder for a while, causing the x belt to loose a lot.

So first question: Can I tighten the x belt ? I found a lot of information concerning the y ones, but nothing about the x belt...

Then the next ones: I read somewhere that GT2 belts are way better than the stock ones. Is-it easy to replace? Should I also change the pulleys?

Thanks again for your help!!

Re: Loose belt caused by the filament getting tangled around the holder

yes, you can adjust the X belt - there are screws under the carriage that hold the ends, the one on the left (looking at the carriage from the front) I believe is the adjusting one...

In order to change the belts to GT2 you DO have to change the pulleys as well - spacing of the notches is different.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

3 (edited by luks 2017-01-20 21:22:07)

Thank you for this quick reply! Okay, I will look at it. In the case where it's too loose to be adjusted, do you know the length of the belt I should order? I assume that I should switch the y belts as well, in order to get a good result in the "circle test", is'nt it?

4 (edited by luks 2017-01-21 08:18:30)

Thanks a lot!!! It works, it was so easy to achieve with your help!!!

http://soliforum.com/i/?SXWSVWP.jpg

glad you got it sorted out. smile

if you are really interested in changing things out, there are a lot of places that sell belt in long lengths - several meters worth - I would just buy a bunch - a 5 or 10 meter roll - and just trim off what you need (match existing, plus a little until you get things mounted), keeping the rest for later use... belts DO wear out over time.

to change the pulleys, however, the ones that will be difficult to find are the ones on the 6mm rod in the back of the machine. 5mm bore and 8mm bore are easy to find - a 6mm bore is not

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1