1 (edited by 3DudesPrinting LLC 2017-01-15 05:52:10)

Topic: Filastruder Assembly Issue [Resolved]

Hey everyone, I got my Filastruder in today and opened it up but have already found some trouble at step 1. It asks that you place the clamp on the auger big with a spacing of 84.5mm between the end of the clamp and the end of the bit. After placing the clamp on my bit there isn't enough shaft space to allow for a 84.5mm spacing and the clamp when fully tightened doesn't grip the auger bit. I have attached some photos to help show my issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Post's attachments

20170113_222724[1].jpg
20170113_222724[1].jpg 1.22 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20170113_222803[1].jpg
20170113_222803[1].jpg 1.24 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Filastruder Assembly Issue [Resolved]

The ~80mm is also acceptable. The last few v2.0 kits got some v2.1 parts, auger included. That is the cause of the discrepancy.

The shaft collar should grip the auger though, what is the diameter of the auger in the area of the shaft collar? The shaft collar is 0.500" nominal ID and the augers I've measured were all around 0.490" OD. The 0.01" shouldn't be an issue for the shaft collar, the shaft collar's tightening gap is larger than that.

Let me know what the auger ID is, if you don't mind. We'll get this sorted out, with replacement parts if needed.

3 (edited by 3DudesPrinting LLC 2017-01-14 17:42:53)

The diameter of the auger where the collar should sit is 11.9mm, the inner diameter of the collar is 12.20 fully closed.

Just went and had a measure on my personal unit - 0.490" OD of the auger. I agree that 11.9mm (0.468") is too small for the shaft collar to grab.

However since the shaft collar needs to go up against the start of the auger's flutes in your case, it isn't important that it grips the auger since the cone shaped start of the flutes will keep it in the proper position. I'd say you can proceed onward with the install, let me know if you run into further issues.

So the clamp can be free spinning and loose? The cone between the chuck of the bit and the flutes is too steep to clamp onto.

I don't expect it to spin, because the thrust force will drive the auger into the collet. There would be more friction there than at the roller thrust bearing, so I wouldn't expect an issue in operation.

The main reason for the clamping is to prevent the auger from being driven into the gearbox, as the gearbox is not rated for thrust loads. But in your case you're looking to put the collar right up against the cone anyway, so the clamping isn't needed for it to stay in position.

But I'm happy to exchange parts of you prefer, just trying to get you up and running without having to wait on shipping.

I'll give it a shot, just wanted some clarification between the product and the instructions. Didn't wanna break it day 1. I'll try it out and let you know if I have any other issues. Thanks!