Topic: Printer stopped due to errors

I really hope someone will be able to help me.  The printer has been running fine without any problems up until today.  I have a SD2 and am using Simplify3D.  My printer stop shortly after starting the print job because I keep reaching the MAXTEMP of 245°C for my E3D lite6 extruder.

RECEIVED: Error:0
RECEIVED: : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
RECEIVED: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
RECEIVED: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
RECEIVED: ok

Anyone has an idea what's going on?

Re: Printer stopped due to errors

Have you flashed the firmware for the required changes needed to properly use an E3d?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Yes I flashed my firmware.  False alarm, I got it sorted.  I forgot awhile back that I increased my extruder temperature to 230°C because the ABS wasn't getting hot enough.  I lowered it back down to 225°C and it's back to printing.

230 should not have been kicking off the max temp alarm... Have you PID tuned to stabilize the temps? If not, I would highly recommend you do so.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

230 should not have been kicking off the max temp alarm... Have you PID tuned to stabilize the temps? If not, I would highly recommend you do so.

I would agree with this.  If you indeed made the proper changes in the firmware MAX TEMP should trigger at 250 for a Lite6

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

6 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-01-15 05:24:22)

230 is the default HIGH TEMP limit in the firmware. It does need to be changed if you install a hotend that can do or you intend to do higher temps. You will need to edit the configuration.h section of your firmware and change the HIGH TEMP limit to something more reasonable like 300 to 320. Then reflash it. That way even overshoot won't shut it down but a thermal runaway will.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

7 (edited by heartless 2017-01-15 15:18:12)

carl_m1968 wrote:

230 is the default HIGH TEMP limit in the firmware. It does need to be changed if you install a hotend that can do or you intend to do higher temps. You will need to edit the configuration.h section of your firmware and change the HIGH TEMP limit to something more reasonable like 300 to 320. Then reflash it. That way even overshoot won't shut it down but a thermal runaway will.

For the Lite6 it should NOT be that high.. 250C should be the max limit, and even then you risk damaging the PTFE tubing..
Max operating temp is 245C for the Lite6

this is the line you need to edit in the firmware for Max Temp...

http://soliforum.com/i/?9ZLg5E5.jpg

(mine is set up for a full V6, thus the 300C temp setting)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Lite6 has a HARD stop at 245 . It is normal to overshoot temps when initially heating up at PTFE releases some nasty and unhealthy fumes after 250.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Sorry for the late reply guys.  My email notifications were going to my spam box.  I really don't know why my Lite6 is kicking off the max temp alarm.  I set the max temp to 245 when I installed it.

If you are getting max temp reports then you have a short somewhere. Trace your wires, attempt to reconnect, if all else fails, a bead thermistor is a $2 and 10 minute fix.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Cool thanks Azerate.

Ok I need a new thermistor. I checked the wiki and it says I need 1 x 100K Semitec 104GT2 NTC thermistor. I have a few 100k Ohm NTC 3950 thermistors left over that I bought for the original SD2 extruder. Can I use it with the E3D lite6?