Topic: Outgassing from ABS

Hi folks,

From doing some research, it seems like the filastruder outgasses styrene during operation.

Does anyone know where I can get a styrene sensor to try and measure the PPM?

I have my filatruder in its own room in my basement, that room has a window open 24/7 and a fan blowing the air out the window. The downside is that the basement window is under my bedroom. I do have an AC unit in the window but I'm guessing some outside air does leak into my room.

How much am I putting my health at risk letting this thing run? I wish there was a way to measure.

Thanks!

Re: Outgassing from ABS

It isn't that the Filastruder outgasses styrene, it is any melting of a polymer (making filament, running a 3D printer, etc) can offgass various things, including styrene when it comes to ABS.

The Filastruder operates at similar temperatures and throughputs to a 3D printer, which also should be operated in a well ventilated area. But it does sound like your area is well ventilated.

People working in say a Lego factory (also uses ABS) are exposed to considerably higher off gassing components than a Filastruder would produce due to throughput alone. Best practices would call for a well ventilated area, but everyone is likely to draw that line differently.

It is a well ventilated room, but I'm wondering if that is enough.

I started wearing a facemask when going into my 3d printing room, but I'm still concerned about small amounts of outgas floating around in my home.

I'm basically looking for some sort of sensor that can detect styrene, or any other ways of detecting harmful fumes.

Thanks!

A quick google on styrene detection yeilds all sorts of gadgets available to the consumer or professional. If it is your health then price should not be a limit. Also there are other options like PETG or PLA.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

From my research, I haven't found anything yet that isn't industrial grade, ie, my guess is it's in the $1000+ range. (No prices listed on web sites)

I'm printing mainly parts for printers and cnc machines, so PLA is out.

Do people run ABS extruders and printers in their houses? Where else would they run them? I'm guessing that people do and have ventilation, but what is the setup like?

Just trying to be cautious.

I run my printers and filastruder in my office together most of the time. Haven't had any problems besides the noise

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

7 (edited by foul_owl 2017-01-13 00:01:05)

Kronikabuse wrote:

I run my printers and filastruder in my office together most of the time. Haven't had any problems besides the noise

You run ABS only?

No respiratory symptoms at all?

How long have you been running those?

Outgassing only occurs at high temps and I don't think any of us melt ABS at the temps needed to release what little bit of styrene there is in it. I have printed inside my 630 sqft apartment with no extra ventalation of any kind with doors and windows closed for 8 years now. I have used ABS and PETG exclusively and have noticed no ill effects. I really think the conditions and temps we operate at make any styrene release near non-existent and I dont think you have anything to worry about unless you are going over 290c with your ABS.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Before I launched the Filastruder, I looked into this a fair bit. There isn't a ton of research papers, but here is a few I found and a brief summary:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178 … er1995.pdf

Exposed rats to the output from a chamber of ABS heated to ~260C for several days. Observed coughing but no deaths. Study was performed over the course of 5 days. Observed negligible CO production and almost unmeasurable HCN production.

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire86/PDF/f86017.pdf

Burned ABS, produces toxic byproducts similar to burning wood.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar … 1013005086

Melting plastic produces ultra fine particles, ABS seems to produce more than PLA, at least for the specific resins they were using.

Some other papers I found:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7236007
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15486179

My personal opinion is that if the area is well ventilated, there is relatively little cause for concern. Risk is relative, and other risks (diet/exercise, smoking, excessive sun exposure, etc) are all far greater risks as far as I can tell.

But if it is a concern, it does seem as though PLA and PETG produce less in the way of off gassing.

I did some reading research on this when I first considered a 3d printer.
I personalty chose PLA for this reason. I tested positive for asthma and am on daily med for same .
The printer has spent a lot of time in my family dinning room  right in the middle of the house or in my shop a shed room off the kitchen so no separate building.
IMHO if you are concerned about fumes purchase an inexpensive dent and bent range hood that vents to the out side and install above the filasruder or 3d printer.
the other option is a vent hose/ dryer hose with fan with on end near the filasruder the other vented out side.  As my allergy Asthma doctor used to say Dilution is the solution to pollution.
so active ventilation is the best engineering control for fumes.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

That's why we have a ductless range hood with doubled-up carbon filters, and a solder fume extractor on the printer enclosure.

Filastruder 2607 w/ Filawinder @1.75mm.
Dual-extruder MaxMicron Prusa Mendel: RAMPS 1.4 w/ Repetier Firmware+Full Graphic LCD Controller, stock hotends, 3Dator extruders w/ MK8 gears, insulated enclosure w/ 2 heat lamps, RPi 2B w/ Repetier Server.
0.1-0.2mm layer height, heated bed w/ PEI surface, inductive-sensor autolevel, 0.5mm to 0.2mm nozzle diameters.