1 (edited by Damacles 2017-01-07 18:48:15)

Topic: Severe Z Axis waves that are way beyond banding.

I am new to 3d printing and I have a problem. I have a Prusa i3 variant; the Monoprice Maker Select. I was having a lot of issues with adhesion to the build plate and installed a borosilicate glass plate. This solved my initial problem but now I get these huge vertical waves on top of a lot of banding which I have yet to address. I have read tons of post on how to solve the banding issue and will work on that soon. I'd like to solve this wave issue first as it seems I caused it when I installed the glass. To install the glass I had to create a little more space between the extruder at home and the build plate by adjusting the clamps on the 2 vertical threaded rods. I used a metal block to space them and insure they were even to each other. Then, I re-leveled the build plate. I have included photos of the rods, clamps, new build surface and a print that shows both banding and the wave issue I'm having. I also included a pic of the print how it should have come out.

Other info:

Filiment: PLA 1.75mm
Extruder Temp: 210c
Build Plate Temp: 60c
Layer Height: .06mm
Fill: 20%

Post's attachments

20170107_103030[1].jpg 3.7 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

3d Printer Adjustment.jpg 356.49 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

c2cf44163d8303aea6cb9e7659734d4d_preview_featured.jpg
c2cf44163d8303aea6cb9e7659734d4d_preview_featured.jpg 70.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Severe Z Axis waves that are way beyond banding.

Looks to me like you have a bent Z rod or Z screw and the rods are not strong enough to prevent the Z screw from moving the bed.. I would try moving the bed from bottom to top in one move through the controls and watch it as it moves. Does it move straight or does it move back and fourth like your waves.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Severe Z Axis waves that are way beyond banding.

Thank you for the reply. I placed a straight edge on the frame and set the z axis to move the carriage from bottom to top without pause. I saw no variation on either side. I don't believe the screws are bent. At least not in any way I know how to measure.

Printer: Maker Select (Prusa i3 Variant)
Filament: PLA 1.75mm
Extruder Temp: 210c
Build Plate Temp: 60c
Layer Height: .06mm
Fill: 20%
Slicer: Cura 2.3.0
Model Source: Thingiverse.com