1 (edited by heartless 2017-01-03 02:19:08)

Topic: Well and truly SOLVED! ;) Another one with WiFi connection problems.

So my Atlas scanner kit arrived Saturday - yippee! (altho I am still waiting on the enclosure kit, but it will be here soon enough)

anyway, connected the electronics up in order to get the software side of things sorted out ahead of time... and I can not get it to connect to the wifi...

Now, all things 3d printing related are in an upstairs room - the main router for internet access is downstairs... hard-wiring is out of the question to that router. My main tower computer runs on WiFi with no problems. I can connect with my phone with no problems, but the Atlas will not connect...

I tired using the USB thumbdrive method first...
thumbdrive in the Pi, wait for it to toggle lasers on, then off..
transfer thumbdrive to the PC, open the ATLAS3D_Windows.hta file, the network name was there, entered the password, and saved.
eject the thumbdrive and put it back into the Pi - wait for the lasers to toggle on, then off (and they do), waited a minute or so longer to make sure it was done...
transfer the thumbdrive back to the PC, open the .hta file again, and I got the "Error obtaining IP address for wlan0. The password may be incorrect." in big red letters at the top of the window...

Tried this method several times with the same results....

So this morning, I hooked up keyboard, mouse and tv monitor - powered up the Pi, and got to the GUI screen... input the 127.0.0.1 address per the instructions - no problem so far... get to the Network settings screen... my Network is showing in the network box, enter the password (and yes, I am positive I have the password correct) and it STILL wont connect. All I get is the message "Connecting to 'network name'...." - it never actually connects and I get no IP address. sad

At a loss for what to do next. I am not a programmer, have no clue what to do, or where to do it from here..

HELP!

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Re: Well and truly SOLVED! ;) Another one with WiFi connection problems.

ok, so some more info...

tried using a powered USB hub - same results, never actually connects..

some info on the router - it is a TPLink Archer C8, dual band wireless (both 2.4 and 5 GHz)

first, a screen capture of my phone on the same network I am trying to connect to, in the same room of the house... (note the signal strength)

http://soliforum.com/i/?mT3TsRX.jpg

and some of the router settings... (password has been blocked out)

http://soliforum.com/i/?tuNkoFP.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?vQUVmq4.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?QpBWbUD.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?hAKOBKv.jpg

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

3 (edited by heartless 2017-01-01 20:34:08)

doing a bit more poking around (i know just enough to be dangerous! tongue )

scratch this - further reading suggests it is mandatory... I think I may have discovered the issue, but I am unsure of how to fix it...

note the country designation.. I am in the US, not Great Britain...

http://soliforum.com/i/?LKWPfWB.jpg

also including the info from the ifconfig and lsusb commands...

http://soliforum.com/i/?Cjm3wSa.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?xG6RPtD.jpg

4 (edited by knowack 2017-01-01 21:20:27)

I don't know if that setting will solve the problem or not, but type this in terminal:

"sudo raspi-config"  (...without the quotes)

A DOS-looking screen will come up.  Cursor down to item #4 'Localisation Options', press the TAB key which will highlight '<Select>' at the bottom and hit your ENTER or RETURN key.

At this menu, cursor down to item #4 'Change Wi-fi Country', press the TAB key which will highlight '<Select>' at the bottom and hit your ENTER or RETURN key.

From the list of countries, cursor down to 'US United States', press the TAB key which will highlight '<Ok>, at the bottom and hit your ENTER or RETURN key.

A confirmation screen will verify your settings change.  Press ENTER or RETURN to select '<Ok>', and you will be taken back to the raspi-config main screen.  Hit the TAB key twice to select '<Finish>', select '<Ok> to reboot, and see if that solved your problem.

thanks for the info knowack - but after doing more research, it sounds like the GB is required as the location... I am just so confused on this.. no idea why this just refuses to connect...
I can do everything else - toggle lasers on/off, can see camera image, can rotate the motor, but it just will not connect to the wifi. sad

ok, so more searching and reading... could it possibly be the router encryption that is causing the issue??

according to this https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … mp;t=50312 the pairwise in the pi settings should be set to CCMP - mine has TKIP...

If so, I have no idea how to go about changing it - i don't want to completely fubar the pi.

arrgh! so confusing...

may go set up a 'guest' account on the router without the AES encryption for testing purposes...

so the guest account with no security encryption did not work either...

more searching, more reading...... found this thread https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … hp?t=44044

specifically this bit of info...

http://soliforum.com/i/?3NDxGka.jpg

note in the last line, the dongle is specified and has the 802.11 designation...

my lsusb output...

http://soliforum.com/i/?WVGmrtG.jpg

no 802.11 designation on anything here... WTH? If I am understanding correctly, the dongle is not being recognized correctly by the Rpi...

since there is ZERO documentation on the dongle included in the kit, I have no idea what the model is, so no way to find good info on it...

UGH!!! VERY FRUSTRATED!!

so after doing a lot of poking around, I started asking questions in other places (like a FB group I belong to) since there wasnt much help forthcoming here... (i understand, it was a holiday weekend and all that... )

anyway, got to chatting with a guy that is somewhat better versed in these types of things than I am, and he spent a good amount of time helping me figure out what to do to get it working...

we tried a couple of different things, including disabling the security encryption on my router - nothing seemed to work

ended up editing one of the files to force/give the darn thing a static IP address and lo & behold, it worked!

even after setting the router back to it's previous encrypted settings, it still works...

Not really sure what is actually wrong with the setup in the Pi configuration, but there was definitely something not working right.

Just now seeing this, I'll chime in and hopefully Uriah can as well.

The Realtek line is the wifi dongle, a wifi dongle doesn't necessarily have "802.11" in the lsusb descriptor field.

Looks like there can be a few different wifi issues. I know you've solved them by doing a static IP, but if not you might check this thread:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12858/wifi-not-working/

Also the ethernet port should work pretty universally.

yeah, i know the ethernet port works, but the router that has our internet access is on a different floor (directly below where the scanner will be living) - wired is NOT an option for that. Not drilling holes in the plaster & lathe ceiling, or trying to get thru the carpeting upstairs.

and I did see that thread, as well as a bunch of others, but not being a programmer, or having any prior knowledge of Linux, I had no inkling or understanding of what to do or where to do it... they may as well have been writing in ancient Greek for all the good that did me. Having someone direct me, step by step - what screen, what to type, when to hit enter, etc - was a HUGE help.

Yes, I needed hand holding for this. This is a completely new experience for me - I knew pretty much NOTHING about Linux, Raspberry Pi's or any of the rest of it. tongue
I am learning, but it is a steep curve when things don't go as expected.

Better documentation for the included parts (like the wifi dongle), and clearer, more precise instructions that do not assume the end user has even a little experience would be quite useful.

heartless wrote:

yeah, i know the ethernet port works, but the router that has our internet access is on a different floor (directly below where the scanner will be living) - wired is NOT an option for that. Not drilling holes in the plaster & lathe ceiling, or trying to get thru the carpeting upstairs.

Agreed that you should have wifi functionality as it is a selling point of the scanner. Was just pointing it out as a temporary solution in case you experience further issues over a holiday or other time Uriah is unable to respond.

hmmm. and apparently it is not completely solved...

i was able to access the the wifi and internet (even opened the google home page as a test) when I had keyboard, mouse, and monitor plugged in...

shut it down, disconnected all that, rebooted the pi, and tried to log in to the gui using the IP address assigned and no go... sad

I doubt it has to do with the keyboard/mouse/monitor, more likely the static IP and a possible conflict with the way the router is handing out IPs over DHCP.

If at a command line you type:

"sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces"

what do you see?

never mind... got it... I stuck the USB drive in again, waited for the lasers to toggle on/off, pulled it, stuffed it in the computer and opened the .hta file and connected... that worked...
closed that window, and tried to access it from FF (it opened in IE initially) hooked right up with no problem

heartless wrote:

thanks for the info knowack - but after doing more research, it sounds like the GB is required as the location... (

I'm glad it started working for you!

I set all of my Pi's to US, and set the keyboard localization to US as well;  I have a keyboard plugged into my Atlas3D for nerd reasons.

knowack wrote:
heartless wrote:

thanks for the info knowack - but after doing more research, it sounds like the GB is required as the location... (

I'm glad it started working for you!

I set all of my Pi's to US, and set the keyboard localization to US as well;  I have a keyboard plugged into my Atlas3D for nerd reasons.

I did change the location, timezone, and such using the GUI preferences in an effort to get things working (it did not actually help anything, however) Forcing the static IP address is what did the trick. That, and re-doing the little thumbdrive handshake thing once there was an IP address loaded. lol

I have since been able to reboot the Pi and log into it with no further problems. smile even successfully registered and updated. yay!

Getting excited now - just need that enclosure kit so I can get it all assembled properly and start scanning stuff!