Topic: e3D V6 + E3D Titan (bowden setup) jamming

So it's been a long while since I posted here....

Recently finally upgraded my Da Vinci to have an E3D Titan, and finally threw Repetier firmware on the printer.

Everything it setup correctly as far as printing is concerned. Repetier has the correct value for using the Titan in the firmware to ensure it should print at the correct rate.

My printer was working rather well for approximately 2 weeks now.

But now, I can't seem to get any further than maybe 1/4 inch printing before the filament jams in the hot end and causes the extruder to stop pushing filament through.

The first time it happened and I cleaned everything out, I found the filament had 'coiled' up inside the heatbreak/heatsink area.
I have verified that the heatsink fan is in fact spinning and working properly, as you'd expect.
I tried lowering the temperature of the hotend from 230C to 210C.
I tried changing filament (no-name brand to Hatchbox ABS).
I left the top lid open thinking that it would help it stay cooler.

None of these have solved the problem, and have not noticeably changed the outcome, it still jams after less than half an inch.

Any other ideas out there? Thoughts? Help?

Re: e3D V6 + E3D Titan (bowden setup) jamming

If using ABS 210 is too low, even 230 is a little cool.  I would guess the real problem is too much retraction, pulling hot filament up into the cool part of the hot end.  Do what you need to clean it and push filament through.  If ABS you can crank up the heat to help clear things out.  Hope that helps.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

3 (edited by darkhawk 2016-12-31 06:25:52)

ABS is known to work anywhere from 190C to (generally) 240C max....and again, this depends on the manufacturer as well as your individual printer. That being said, I've used 190C to 230C with this exact filament many times without issues, so I'm very certain that isn't it. See : https://www.amazon.com/HATCHBOX-3D-ABS- … B00J0H8EWA

But....in the end, my fan bit my butt. It was intermittent. When I was running the printer and actively watching it, it was always on. When I came back and a print had failed, it was still running. However, when I went down to clean it out 2 hours ago, I turned the hotend on and funny enough, the fan didn't start up (but the fan for cooling the print did...and they are run in parallel). Flicked it with my finger, and it started spinning.

Replaced the fan, and I'm happily 1 hour into a print now, much longer than I was getting previously. So I'm fairly certain I found my culprit. smile

But thank you very much for the suggestions! I do appreciate it. big_smile

Glad you figured it out.  There's nothing worse than an intermittent electrical issue.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions