Topic: [TPV] Irogran A85

TPV (thermoplastic vulcanizate) is in the family of other flexibles like TPE (ninjaflex) and TPU (semiflex). While TPE is much like a wet noodle, and TPU is a little more like a stiff boot lace, TPV is more like a rubberized noodle. I have never extruded anything but ABS until Irogran A85 TPV, so this was as fun as it was aggrivating as there is no discussion on extruding this material.

Extruder:
Mostly stock Filastruder v1.6 #1870 extruding vertically with full barrel header wrap insulation, and a Filawinder. For this material, I have to drill the nozzle out with a 5/64" drill bit.
http://i.imgur.com/5yJrPZ9.jpg

Drying:
I printed a hotbox that comfortably hold 500g of pellets, placed it on my Hale heatbed at 115c for roughly 5 hours with some dessicates, then stored them overnight for later extrusion. Drying is not an option for this material.
http://i.imgur.com/IIeyhXk.jpg
Image of drying PETG

Extrusion:
Temp: 175c
Rate: 37" per minute
Average diameter: 1.68-17.9mm.
Extrusion was a nightmare at first. The filament would leave the nozzle at 2.60(ish)mm, but only inches away would shrink to 1.05mm. This led me to wonder what was wrong: Temperature? Cooling? Nozzle diameter? Moisture?
Well, I can rule out drying since my method has been proven to work as you will see, and I will explain shortly.
I instantly started thinking of cooling, but I was dreading that fix since I dont have enough minutes in the day to design and print new fan adapters. So that was out of the question.
Temps? I played around with settings as low as 173c, nut still had an average 1.53mm diameter, so this led me to nozzle diameter.

Once I drilled the nozzle with a 5/64" bit and cleaned out the metallic shavings and TPV remnants with an overnight acetone soak and a short blast from a compressor, the nozzle was clean as a whisle. I purged any potential debris and used this at my 175c to get my average diameter of 1.73mm.
http://i.imgur.com/IuVxPmj.jpg

No matter my temp settings, STB adjustments, or nozzle diameter, I still got random "furred" filament, which acted a little like moisture, but only happened at random even in perfectly consistent filament. Only after poking my head under the nozzle did I find that balls of TPV were accumulating over time around the nozzle's exit which caused friction and dragged still-hot material causing the texture in question. With that said, I highly recommend not using a winder when extruding this specific polymer. I simply let mine drop onto a box about 24" below the nozzle and this yielded a far more consistent texture.
http://i.imgur.com/ctttk0A.jpg

Printer:
Solidoodle 2, E3D Titan, v6, Volcano, .6 nozzle, Lawsy carriages, Claghorn direct Y drive, bed stabilizer

Printing:
217c/60c, glass with hairspray
Speeds had to be slowed way down to 18mm/s for perimeters and retraction was a snail's pace at 5mm/s.
Printing was a problem for me. Of the three working printers I have, one is bowden and the other two are geared (Bulldog XL and E3D Titan). I highly doubt the bulldog would be able to reliably print TPV, so I was stuck with the Titan. The E3D Titan is capable of printing flexibles, but I haven't had much successful testing with TPE and never got around to testing TPU.
The TPV would constantly buckle in the extruder during retraction if I was attempting anything with infill, so I was only able to print a spiral vase with no bottom. And even then, I had voids popping up.
http://i.imgur.com/zPJ0aJs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nni9DMg.jpg

Comparison to available filament:
I have never used TPV filament, and I am fairly sure the only flexibles available are TPE and TPU.

Takeaway and comments:
This is not a negative review, nor am I saying it is bad. I am sure with better settings or even a non-geared extruder with some type of flexibles support it would be very reliable on a printing side, and extrusion is best with no winder. Just let it drop to the floor and you will get a much higher quality filament. As a matter of fact, I send an image to a buddy of mine putting together a Spiderman cosplay project and A85 with no colorants, twisted, and knotted up looks a lot like Spiderman's webs. So he will be making backpacks and whatnot with the filament that was too small in diameter to test with printing. I also ordered more so I can really play around with it now that I can reliably extrude it, but printing is the only hurdle. Perhaps someone will get A85 TPV to print consistently before I get one of my other printers up and running.
http://i.imgur.com/jKQBNxV.jpg

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Re: [TPV] Irogran A85

Did you have any problem with the filament squeezing out of the gap in the E3D Titan?  I ran my 80A (instead of 85A) with retraction disabled altogether.  You might try turning up tension on the Titan - too high and it will start to squeeze out of the gap, but too low and it's not pushing the flexible in.  Consider also getting some high temp canola oil, spray that on PLA, run that through, it will oil the inside of the PTFE tube going into the extruder, and it will create less friction for the flexible filament (assuming this stuff is as friction heavy as the 80A I made.)

Thanks for the tips. I've never tried the canola oil trick, so I'll give that a shot. I ordered more from Tim since I do like it and see some potential, plus I want to see how well it will or won't take to powder colorants.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

4 (edited by BurningRingOfFire 2016-12-27 03:30:49)

Question:    Why do you say "Drying is not an option?"

We dry Santoprene TPV at 180F for several hours in the molding industry...

If it comes down to not wanting to dry it in an oven on shallow trays (understandable) perhaps we the community could knock together a hot-air drying hopper apparatus similar to what industry uses.

A coffee can,  some metal tubing,  a 60 watt lightbulb and fans...  I have a sketch forming in my mind.

MonoPrice Mini Select,  Orion Delta, HeartlessTech I3 2020, TWO Taz-5,  8 Wanhao Clones
Filistruder (Operational)  (Scanners RMA'd Due To Missing Components)
Benchtop Molding Press,  Arburg All-Arounder IMM,   Bridgeport ProTrac, Monarch 10EE Lathe,  Light Machine CNC Mill & Lathe
(THIS IS JUST MY HALF OF THE WORKSHOP MUAHAHAHAHA)

By "not an option" I meant not optional.
I usually type my reviews over several days shortly before going to bed exhausted...guess I need to proof read a little more next time wink

Ha!    Wife and I were wondering if that's what you meant.  big_smile

My contact at Helve (a profile product extruder) is going to send me some information on TPV extrusion.   She says there are some tricks in regards to die design that reduce or eliminate the melt-slip wrinkling you see.

MonoPrice Mini Select,  Orion Delta, HeartlessTech I3 2020, TWO Taz-5,  8 Wanhao Clones
Filistruder (Operational)  (Scanners RMA'd Due To Missing Components)
Benchtop Molding Press,  Arburg All-Arounder IMM,   Bridgeport ProTrac, Monarch 10EE Lathe,  Light Machine CNC Mill & Lathe
(THIS IS JUST MY HALF OF THE WORKSHOP MUAHAHAHAHA)

I just got done drying, making this into filament, and printing with it and am going to be working on a full fledged review of it, but for me it worked very nicely with the 1.6mm nozzle, at ~150C, and printed with the best quality of TPE I've seen.

Here's the obligatory flexioctopus -
http://soliforum.com/i/?v23mHxH.jpg