1 (edited by TheGreenEngineers 2016-12-14 02:09:33)

Topic: Kickstarter For Plastic Shredder

hey i am working on a filament shredder to shred/pellet your plastic bottles or failed prints to be remade in a filastruder or another diy filamaker like the one i designed (Multistruder).

the shredder is 6x6x3.5 outer dimensions and is going to start out to be hand cranked with ratchet with motor expansion later. the shredder is starting at $350 shipped. check out the campaign here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 … i-shredder

Note. I will be continuously adding more things to the campaign such as media, stretch goals, and i am working on a 12x12x6.5 shredder.

any questions please post or get a hold of me and i will answer them.

Re: Kickstarter For Plastic Shredder

Or people can go to http://filamaker.eu/shop/ and buy it now smile

3 (edited by TheGreenEngineers 2016-12-10 20:08:26)

filamaker XXL shredder starts at 600 usd for 4.72 inches x 3.8 inches. great high wear alloy medium carbon steel 39-46 HRC minimum. 3 week lead time

The Reclaimer (mine) 350 usd shipped for 6 inch x 6 inch. good general case simple medium carbon steel if heat treated maximum of 58 HRC. units ship by end of January (5-7 weeks).

both are good shredders. and both will do the job. i just have a few advantages because i am ordering in bulk materials and i am post treating the metal instead of buying preheated metal. things after the kickstarter could be a different story.

4 (edited by JeremyLGSiegfried 2016-12-11 05:07:04)

That pricing for the standalone Filamaker mini XXL is only for businesses and requires a VAT number in the EU. The same requirement goes for the standalone Filamaker mini. The cheapest Filamaker available to the public is the mini with its housing, which is once again $600.

Filastruder 2607 w/ Filawinder @1.75mm.
Dual-extruder MaxMicron Prusa Mendel: RAMPS 1.4 w/ Repetier Firmware+Full Graphic LCD Controller, stock hotends, 3Dator extruders w/ MK8 gears, insulated enclosure w/ 2 heat lamps, RPi 2B w/ Repetier Server.
0.1-0.2mm layer height, heated bed w/ PEI surface, inductive-sensor autolevel, 0.5mm to 0.2mm nozzle diameters.

ahh

There is the USA made Industrial reclaimer the filabot

https://www.filabot.com/collections/fil … 3294958148

But at over $4000 USD price tag this 600lb/  255 kilo 4 HP 3 phase powered machine is hardly a home hobby tool.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

7 (edited by genesat1 2016-12-11 20:15:39)

Tin Falcon wrote:

There is the USA made Industrial reclaimer the filabot

https://www.filabot.com/collections/fil … 3294958148

But at over $4000 USD price tag this 600lb/  255 kilo 4 HP 3 phase powered machine is hardly a home hobby tool.

Sure, options like that exist out there - but I don't think $4,000, or even $600, compares to $350 at all.  Although I personally would like to see a video of a working one before I put money down - albeit I understand that since the whole method of getting the price lower is by buying a large quantity of parts all at once - I do understand why they only have a mockup there.  I'm just jittery about Kickstarter ever since the drone thing, then the Peachy printer thing, etc.  (Even the Glowforge is making me nervous having a 2nd delay and pushing back the ship date again to nearly a year later.  They technically called theirs a preorder, but if they were to go under I don't think a credit card would offer much protection with them stretching it out this long past the transaction date.)

yes i am working on more prototypes. i will be doing a scale model out of steel for the shredder. The reason why i dont have one currently is that it would cost at least 500-600 dollars to make 1 full size shredder not bought in bulk in its final configuration. That is why filamaker sells them at that price because that is how much it costs to make them one by one. so i will be making like a 50% scale version using weaker steel. also i am still going to be working on the deisgn as the campaign goes on.

the plastic version out of acrylic that i made cost me 2 dollars for material and cut. it was a great proof of concept it cut paper and stuff and that one was 65% scale.

Are you outsourcing the cutting? Back when I looked into this, I had a design for under $100 in quantity 100 or so, all parts quoted by BigBlueSaw - their water jetting service was pretty competitive.

I never ran with it out of concerns for liability, but I'd love to see one come to market! GreenEngineers, if you'd like to get in touch feel free to get in touch via email - elmoret at gmail.

10 (edited by JeremyLGSiegfried 2016-12-12 02:03:20)

Hmm...now that shredding options are getting more interesting, it may just be time to create a sticky for the different options available, especially since this one needs early attention to take off.
So far, I know (from least to most expensive):

• Meat Grinder (picky and painful, but cheapest and doable)

• Robust Paper Shredder (automatic, but coarser and weaker than above)

• This shredder (better than above, cheapest efficient design)

• Filamaker (more durable than above, more industrial)

• Filabot Shredder and industrial shredders (most expensive, highest output)

Dual-extruder MaxMicron Prusa Mendel: RAMPS 1.4 w/ Repetier Firmware+Full Graphic LCD Controller, stock hotends, 3Dator extruders w/ MK8 gears, insulated enclosure w/ 2 heat lamps, RPi 2B w/ Repetier Server.
0.1-0.2mm layer height, heated bed w/ PEI surface, inductive-sensor autolevel, 0.5mm to 0.2mm nozzle diameters.

I personally have access to a water jet so i will be cutting it myself. but yea if i could get a order of 100 that would be great. and yea liability is a big thing.

my shredder is going to be the same or more durable as the filmmaker one. Because i am doing post treatment on the steel i am able to keep the cost low and set the strength and the ductility of the steel however i want while with his pre processed steel what you get is what you get. However he is quite a ways farther along as far as the industrial design of the housing and stuff than i am.

If I could get the parts for $100, I'd be in. Maybe $200 for a kit with motor etc.. I can build/print the hopper and some other bits, but I don't have a waterjet, sadly. smile

Note that I completely understand why that may well not be a reasonable price point. smile It's just about the amount I'm willing to pay for the ability to reprocess plastic. When I buy pellets for $2-4/lb, as much as I would like to reduce my waste output, it's just not economical.

And I know who I am, a manual unit is just a dust collector for me. It must be motorized. It's fine if it's slow and takes hours to process, but it needs to do so without me turning a wheel to make it go.

As I mentioned in a PM, I want to see you succeed at it, and I wish you well. I just can't justify it vs. 100+ pounds of pellets.

I'd even collect my plastic and send it to someone to grind up, but that's a whole different set of issues with cross-contamination etc.. All it takes is one person making a mistake labeling the plastic and you get nylon mixed in the the PLA causing a host of issues.

yea $100 doesn't even cover the cut price for waterjet (it cost about 3 dollars a minute to cut)

yea i agree about plastic that really isn't very viable as i do agree as i have designed a filament maker that resign is hella cheap to get as i got my natureworks for $1.5 a pound.

however where you will make returns is if you keep recycling unwanted prints from that 1.5 to 4 dollars a lb. lets just say that you buy that 4$ lb and you never buy a lb of resin again? Generally people print the same material so it all can be recycled together however the color is a different story. For me i have a full bag of about 5-10 lbs of plastic at home that are failed prints (i print alot about a spool a month). it would be really nice to reuse that filament. and most of that is from full price filament spools.

I agree that the numbers are pretty rough and that it is difficult to get a ROI as you have to print alot. but the demand is out there seeing from this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 … le_created and also all the questions i have been asked at maker faire last year.

$100 should definitely cover it, in bulk. You can do rotor blades for $4.82 each including material, quantity 100-999. You'd be in the 1000 tier with 100 shredders, which is cheaper but requires a quote.

1/4" wide blades, say two rows of 7 blades each would get you to 3.5". That's $67 for the blades at the lower quantity discount tier. You'd still need spacers, but that should be under $40 or so. The housing doesn't need to be waterjet and the gears should be COTS. $150 BOM should do it.

I was just about to say that casting might be the way to go, since I can easily get a decent meat/bone grinder for under $75, but custom-manufactured units like industrial shredders always seem to cost a fortune. While the upfront costs are staggering, I could easily see a robust $150-$200 unit achieving a couple dozen grand on Kickstarter. Another $50-$100 for a motor, drive system, and safety housing, and it could be a winner.
Of course, it's a bit late to go this way for the Kickstarter, and the housing might be more expensive than my guess here, but one can hope...

the reclaimer 6"x6"x3.5" has over 80 pieces. 24 of them are 1/4" blades so at 5 dollars a blade so 120 right. And if it is from china from all the talking I have done with china it is 100$ shipping per unit so that's $220. the lowest I have been quoted from china is 200 dollars shipped. The most I have been quoted is $600.

18 (edited by TheGreenEngineers 2016-12-12 22:34:26)

the reason why shredders are more expensive is because of the versatility. Some industrial grade shredders are engineered with so much strength that they can shred cars. Try to do that with a meat shredder. I just did some analysis of the shredder and the max shear I found capable of 280Mpa if max hardened (this is for a not yet optimized design). That is enough to shear brass and aluminum and anything softer try to do that with a meat shredder.

sure I realize that that might not be applicable to you guys as a filament shredder. but another application that I have been advertising it as is for shredding any wood for composting and other hard organic materials.

TheGreenEngineers wrote:

the reclaimer 6"x6"x3.5" has over 80 pieces. 24 of them are 1/4" blades so at 5 dollars a blade so 120 right. And if it is from china from all the talking I have done with china it is 100$ shipping per unit so that's $220. the lowest I have been quoted from china is 200 dollars shipped. The most I have been quoted is $600.

Not from China, it would be made in the US - BigBlueSaw. It'd be less than $120, you're rounding up and not considering the discount tier after 1000 blades. I'm not sure there's value in having the shredder quite that large in terms of maximizing interested customers (if it is too large, it will be too expensive for folks to be interested). I think most folks can get their parts down to baseball size, its going from baseball size to granulate that is difficult. Remember too that the more blades you have, the more torque you need - stronger shafts, bearings, gears, and possibly motor.

The "$100" number mentioned was just for the waterjet parts.

Just trying to help.

21 (edited by TheGreenEngineers 2016-12-13 02:22:51)

yea i check it out there prices are pretty good. however i can do it cheaper on my end because of my own access to a waterjet.

I didn't know that a meat grinder was an effective machine. I watched a few videos and it doesn't look like it works. Is it a viable alternative?

If you spend $65 or more for a good one with a pulley, and attach a powerful motor to it, the grinder can actually shear larger chunks where the auger meets the edge of the "hopper." As long as the parts can get into the opening, the part gets sheared bit by bit until it reaches the cutting plate, where it is either split or shaved into pieces smaller than the holes in the cutting plate.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/15731/an … lastruder/

The main problems with the grinder are heat, input size and viable output.
Like an industrial extruder, the plastic in the grinder experiences enough shear to generate heat. It becomes noticeable after grinding for about 5 minutes by hand.
Due to the size of the opening, the grinder can only handle chunks about the size of a ping-pong ball if they have an irregular shape that catches on the auger. An actual ping pong ball would have to be split into pieces before the grinder could process it.
Finally, the grinder could only manage about a cup of shredded plastic in a minute. In the best scenario, it might make double that, but only with a strong, fast motor and "quick" pieces of plastic.

I wonder why anyone has commented about the Precious Plastic Shredder: https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/shredder/
It's opensource, laser cutting the parts costs around $350 plus gear motor and frame, it's fully documented and has a huge community of builders and helpers at https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/. The shredder proposed here would require to hook up a gear motor (add $300-$400 more) and you also need a metal frame to fix it steady. A hand crank is only feasible for shredding vegetables or plants in general, unless you are a super human with 300 kilos of muscle capable of hand shredding hard plastic.