Topic: Prints fine for 5 mins and then puffff

...and then the extruder temperature falls and a bunch of commands waiting pile up and it seems that the printer is no longer connected. Happens a lot with this SD4 on Windows 10 using Repetier Host with Sli3r. Dug up a bunch of posts in the search but nothing conclusive.

Re: Prints fine for 5 mins and then puffff

What  are you trying to print and at what temp.
I had a similar problem turns out the temp was set to high and the high limit was hit and shut things down . Maybe try a fresh usb cord.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

The cable is a good shout but it's already been replaced and I'm not touching anything when it starts to cool down. I'm printing at 208C using PLA. If it's less, the stuff won't be viscous enough.

Have you made any modifications to the printer or the computer lately?
Do you still use the stock Printrboard?
What power supply are you currently using for the SD4?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Nothing that springs to mind. Everything is stock.

A screenshot of the output log would tell us a lot.  If I were a betting man I'd say you have a bad thermistor connection.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

A temp log may be revealing as well.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

8 (edited by poulan 2016-11-10 14:20:34)

This time the temp fell 5 mins into the print but had started increasing again by the time I came back to it (usually it just falls). Which log info do you want...I'm not sure where to find it. It's weird because the temp is rock solid before it falls.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50260364/SD4.jpg

Looks like a bad connection to the heat cartridge.  Check all connections and replace or solder anything that looks suspicious.  Could even be a broken wire inside the insulation so replacing the wires may be in your future.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

10 (edited by poulan 2016-11-10 18:00:45)

Oops, I overwrote the last image but if you see the one above, the temperature was very unstable and then I got this warning when it got to 230C. I couldn't see any cable mis-plugged in so I thought I'd check that first before I replace/repair any. Does this latest error point to the same thing?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50260364/SD4.jpg

Check everything that wardjr stated above...aside from that then try lowering the nozzle temp a bit.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

12 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-11-10 19:21:46)

Unless you have changed it in your firmware,  the high temp limit by default is usually 230. If it hits 230 for more than 5 seconds or whatever the period is in your firmware it will shut the hotend down because it thinks it is in thermal over run. This is for safety and the fact that it is dangerous to heat a PTFE liner if present to that temp or higher.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Yes makes total sense. Most of the time the temperature is accurate but then suddenly falls and it won't come back up even with manual intervention.