Topic: solidoodle press board replacement information?

I acquired one for practically nothing that has a dead extruder driver on the board.  everything else works and i've tested the wires and steppers to confirm it is only that one driver output so the board is worthless.

so basically the question i have is this: does anyone have documentation or good information on swapping in a ramps 1.4 or other aftermarket board?  I've been searching for a few days now and cannot find anyone who's successfully replaced a solidoodle press board with something open source.  I'd love any links or suggestions for search terminology, perhaps there are links and i'm just not using the right word combinations.  it seems like having some sort of tutorial or information for board swap would be very valuable for a machine with so many issues, so i'm surprised i haven't seen anything yet.  Thank you all in advance.

monoprice select mini

Re: solidoodle press board replacement information?

There's a fairly lengthy thread on the RAMPS on a Press a few topics below your post.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/13089/ta … e-install/

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

You could graft a pololu driver onto it. Just need to tap into the step/dir/enable pins of the onboard driver.
Or better, approach your local maker space with a replacement driver chip and a suitable amount of beer. They may be able to swap the chip for you.

You can get a rammps package for about $30

https://folgertech.com/products/ramps-1 … 88-drivers

https://folgertech.com/products/ramps-1 … -printer-1

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thanks everyone.  I've acquired a ramps setup on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0111 … &psc=1 ) and am reviewing that thread mentioned above.  Unfortunately, there are no local makerspaces in my region so there is nobody i can throw some beer at to swap the burned out smt components.   

I'm hoping to get this thing working well enough to be a good high temp filament printer so i can dedicate my MP select mini to just the PLA based filaments that it is better at.  also plan on documenting the process and if i can get it working smoothly i'll post up the config files for others to use in salvaging all the dead/malfunctioning solidoodle press units out there.

monoprice select mini

How'd the swap go? If you have any questions feel free to drop them here and Ill do my best to help answer them.

Thank you for your offer of help, I really appreciate it.  to be frank, when the one guy never got back to me with the sample config and my work schedule being crazy busy I didn't have time to deal with it.  When I finally did the other week, I tore the machine down to make sure all was intact and properly lubricated.  I saw the lack of real bearings or even bushings, slop in construction, etc. and I decided to build a core xy printer out of the parts instead.  something like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:651117

the determining factor is that I planned on using the hell out of this machine and from what i found on the forums, youtube, etc the lifetime of this printer is limited by the metal on plastic moving parts.  with what I can scavenge from this machine and very little additional money (box of linear bearings, belts, plywood) I can build one of those core xy printers with increased accuracy, reliability and overall quality with very little effort.  thankfully my monoprice select mini is working well so i can print whatever parts I need.

do you think that is a good call or do you feel the press could hold up in its current configuration?

monoprice select mini

firestartr33 wrote:

Thank you for your offer of help, I really appreciate it.  to be frank, when the one guy never got back to me with the sample config and my work schedule being crazy busy I didn't have time to deal with it.  When I finally did the other week, I tore the machine down to make sure all was intact and properly lubricated.  I saw the lack of real bearings or even bushings, slop in construction, etc. and I decided to build a core xy printer out of the parts instead.  something like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:651117

the determining factor is that I planned on using the hell out of this machine and from what i found on the forums, youtube, etc the lifetime of this printer is limited by the metal on plastic moving parts.  with what I can scavenge from this machine and very little additional money (box of linear bearings, belts, plywood) I can build one of those core xy printers with increased accuracy, reliability and overall quality with very little effort.  thankfully my monoprice select mini is working well so i can print whatever parts I need.

do you think that is a good call or do you feel the press could hold up in its current configuration?

The biggest issue I have with the press is that its using plastic gliders. If you want a workhorse you're definitely barking up the wrong tree. I got so fed up I went and bought a duplicator I3 and put the Press in my closet. I just finished my final and have been planning on pulling it back out and rebuilding it. The only issue with doing this is that you will need to replace most components inside the machine. (at least, if you dont want to have to take it back apart again anytime soon. )  Allot depends on your budget and determination. You definitely have everything you need to build that core xy printer. It will be the cheapest alternative if you want another printer. It's almost a shame though cause you lose the nicest aspect about the press, its sleek design. If you do go this route I would be interested in the shell as long as it doesnt get destroyed in the process.

I am about to start taking mine apart this weekend and over the coming weeks I'll be rebuilding it to how I feel it should be built(with some custom modifications that are overkill but I am going to college for engineering and its what I enjoy doing) Ill be replacing the x-axis with two linear bearing shafts that are going to be supporting a custom head unit that will be removable so you can swap to things like laser engraving/cutting, light machining, easily swap-able extruders, etc.  (that's the plan atleast...my actual budget might say otherwise lol) If you want I would say you could wait till I start pulling mine apart to see how bad it actually is going to be and if you want to even deal with the hassle. I'll try to be keeping up on my thread with pictures, concepts, attempts, etc.

Having just finished taking it apart....maybe ill just sell the motherboard and put the parts into another machine lol It's worse then I expected it to be.... There's not a single metal piece in the body (unless screws and linear rails count)

that's where i was at man, once I completely tore it down I discovered all the shitty construction methods and lack of precision.  check out the corexy or c/d bot builds.  most of our parts can be used toward the build and if you use a wood frame its crazy cheap, if you use a metal fame not as cheap but still a good project.

monoprice select mini

firestartr33 wrote:

that's where i was at man, once I completely tore it down I discovered all the shitty construction methods and lack of precision.  check out the corexy or c/d bot builds.  most of our parts can be used toward the build and if you use a wood frame its crazy cheap, if you use a metal fame not as cheap but still a good project.

I have FULLY taken everything in that printer apart. I would need a few choice words to describe how terrible that machine was built.  However, after looking over everything I believe I can rebuild it into a rather nice machine and keep the outside shell. I really want something that is fully enclosed that I can use to print ABS inside.

TruFord