26 (edited by genesat1 2016-11-23 05:25:51)

Re: [Copolyester/PETG] - Eastman EASTAR Copolyester 6763 + Powder colorant

richh001 wrote:

Hi genesat1,

Thanks for the good evaluation of the PETG, I also just bought 55lb, and powdered colorant, and am now in waiting.
Questions:
How much colorant did you use to come up with that green filament?
What temperatures did you print at?

Thanks!

I used the recommended 2g per 1lb.  I vary print temperature by intended use - something decorative I will do 235C with a cooling fan on low (most well defined appearance), but something larger and mechanical in nature I will do 255C with no cooling fan (at that temperature it layer bonds so well it seems to have nearly the same strength regardless of orientation).  The original post has a link to a video on Youtube showing that layer strength vs temperature for typical PETG.

I would be interested in MAKROBLEND EL700

That PETG is awesome, it does everything better.

richh001 wrote:

That PETG is awesome, it does everything better.

How's your experience been since this - could you add any other thoughts?

All materials posted here:

https://www.filastruder.com/collections/pellets

Still need to add photos and flesh out descriptions. Remember that there's still store credit on material reviews/writeups! Doesn't have to be a positive outcome, just has to be a reasonable effort at achieving success.

If there's other materials folks would like, feel free to post here.

I make 3mm Filament.
So far, that PETG works great,  way better than PLA in most respects.
PETG has a bit more shrinkage and deformation than the PLA.
PETG filastrudes extremely fast and comes out a bit on the "fat" side of the die size, so, some users might want a second nozzle die for it.
PETG seems to be less sensitive to moisture than PLA, and requires less cooling.
My barrel is insulated about 1/2 the way up.

I bought some of the PETG from filastruder.com and couldn't get a consistent diameter out of it, winding or to the floor. I suspect it's partly the horizontal mounting of the machine. I couldn't get pellets to flow in the chute with the powder colorant. I'll have to get a vibration motor or something to help feeding.

How'd you dry the pellets before extrusion?

elmoret wrote:

How'd you dry the pellets before extrusion?

4 hours in a toaster oven at 150F. Then in a vacuum chamber for another 30 min just to see, but I didn't notice any significant difference. I'll try drying for longer before I do more testing. I did see air in the pellets I didn't dry before using to purge the old plastic out. I didn't see any in the batch I was testing with. I was using the powder colorant though, perhaps I should try again without colorant.

My stock 3mm nozzle had been drilled a little, I bumped it up to 1/8" to see if that would help, no joy. Temps from 190-225C in about 10C increments, trying to change one thing at a time. Diameter range from 2.0-2.9 with or without the winder. HIPS and ABS are consistent, so I know the setup can produce good filament. I just need to get things dialed in for this.

ttabbal wrote:

I bought some of the PETG from filastruder.com and couldn't get a consistent diameter out of it, winding or to the floor. I suspect it's partly the horizontal mounting of the machine. I couldn't get pellets to flow in the chute with the powder colorant. I'll have to get a vibration motor or something to help feeding.

I did all mine vertical.  I have seen pellet lock when using powder colorant before on other plastics, and that is why my Filastruder is tilted slightly to the left in the pictures.  You might try drying the pellets after they are coated too - the powder is in plastic bags which water vapor can penetrate. The dryer the powder the less prone it is to sticking together.  Leaving a bag of powder out in a humid garage is enough to make it a big lump of stuck together powder for me after awhile if not stored in something that blocks moisture (glass and metal lid for example).

What do you to get it to stick to the bed ?
It seems to go right over it yet sticks to the nozzle very well

To get PETG to stick to your bed it needs to be heated glass and use hairspray. I use PETG almost exclusively.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

38 (edited by tonycstech 2019-04-12 19:11:38)

I dont like spray but i tried 2 hair gels spread on a tape using razor blade.
AMERICAN CREW firm hold styling gel seems to work ok on the tape.
https://ak1.ostkcdn.com//images/products/11982972/American-Crew-Firm-Hold-Styling-Mens-3.3-ounce-Gel-f0558960-8616-4d9f-b551-b322ee488f46.jpg
The other gel did not work at all, i would assume not all sprays would either.

Am gonna try to mix gel with alcohol to make it more liquid so i can store it in a small bottle for easier use.
Bottle i use us from Keri Sensitive skin 2oz bottle. It has small hole and a cap to keep it closed. Works very well.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kloAAOxy2E1SE6lP/s-l1600.jpg

39 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-04-12 19:46:30)

The magic ingredients has to be what you find in Aquanet Hairspray.

Water (Aqua), Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40-B (Alcohol Denat.), VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Sodium Benzoate, Cyclohexylamine, Triethyl Citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance (Parfum).

The important ones are the ones in bold.

The American Crew stuff does seem to have some of the needed Copolymers.

40 (edited by tonycstech 2019-04-13 07:34:04)

The 50/50 mix of 70% isopopyl alcohol and CREW gel seems to work better then just gel its self.
In a small bottle, its easy to pour just enough needed and spread with a razor.

I still dont find it perfect like ABS juice for ABS prints or how alcohol wipe helps with PLA.
There has to be something else or i need to try another hair gel.

I tried chemically etched glass and to my surprize it works very well. Its about 95% perfect contact so i guess ill just etch some more and call it DONE DEAL !

41 (edited by tonycstech 2019-04-14 04:53:54)

After part cooled down it came off very easy but with glass.
back to the drawing board.
So far no perfect solution adhesion sad
http://soliforum.com/i/?rryG5jt.jpg

Not sure what your hangup about hairspray is but it is the best and sworn by most of us for adhesion. It is also cheap and one can last for years. If your concern is getting it on the rails and stuff just hold a piece of cardboard between the spray and the objects behind it. Or if your glass is removable spray outside the machine.

My 4MAX has glass that have this black material bonded to it that works very well and requires nothing but occasional cleaning with IPA. They call it Anycubic Black Diamond.

43 (edited by tonycstech 2019-04-29 05:44:33)

Man does this filament stink !
I have to bring a fan into a room and make it suck everything out into the window, or whole house starts to stink.
Worst thing about this smell is that it does not go away even after you stopped printing weeks ago. It becomes part of the house unless you let the house vent for few hrs.

I think i hate this type of PETG and will not buy it any more.
Even ABS did not stink that much, and ABS would vent out of the room/house much faster and would not stay embedded for weeks.

http://soliforum.com/i/?jdQ6PmL.jpg

I didn’t really notice a uniquely bad smell to it - but I have a suction hood/exhaust over my Filastruder and the only indoor printer I have (not out in garage) is in a room with a 4” exhaust as well.  Ventilation makes a huge difference - even when threading ABS over to the Filawinder I don’t really smell it now.  If at all possible try to add more forced air circulation to the room - as close as possible to the source of the smell.

"I cant smell anything because i have exhaust"
No wonder.

I purchased the 5lb bag of PETG from Filastruder and it is fantastic. Beautiful consistent filament that prints well and takes masterbatch colouring very well too.

I run it at 205c with no drying.

I didn't notice any smell

Just trying to find a UK supplier so the postage is lower.

Anycubic i3 Mega
Anycubic Chiron
Filastruder
Mahor XYZ Pellet Extruder Head

47 (edited by tonycstech 2019-09-24 06:25:26)

Did you purchase same type of petg ?
IF so then they sold me something else.
Shame on you guys !

We did not sell you anything different Tony, making accusations otherwise is not cool.

49 (edited by tonycstech 2019-09-26 17:46:04)

i dont make accusations, i posted what i experienced and how horrible it was.
If someone says "no smell" and i smelled something so bad i had to throw it away, i question what i have received.

I had same problem with wellzoom extruder on amazon.
Every buyer told me they received it with a ONE PIECE shell but i received unit which shell is composed of 2 halfs.
It was very reasonable to question authenticity of the product i received.

tonycstech wrote:

i dont make accusations, i posted what i experienced and how horrible it was.
If someone says "no smell" and i smelled something so bad i had to throw it away, i question what i have received.

I had same problem with wellzoom extruder on amazon.
Every buyer told me they received it with a ONE PIECE shell but i received unit which shell is composed of 2 halfs.
It was very reasonable to question authenticity of the product i received.

Tony my guess is that the Filastuder guys have no control over the actual material they sell. They buy in bulk from XYZ company most likely and resale it I would assume.

That being the case the batch you received may not have been pure PETG. Pure PETG has little to no smell. I know since I print with it almost all the time. The only time you get a smell is if you over heat it or you have a blend with ABS in it. I have bought some cheap PETG that did smell and I found it had ABS added. Then when I did research I found the company that made it was notorious for adding ABS as a filler to their extrusions. Seem ABS cost less than PETG so they where cutting the PETG with ABS.

The very slight smell it has is a slight synthetic smell that you have to try to detect in order to smell it. I mean you really have to try to smell anything from PETG. So again either you over heated it or the batch you got had a filler in it which would be on the fault of the vendor that E3D buys from not E3D.