Topic: (SD4)Switching from ABS to PLA. What do I need?

Greetings,
So I just about used up the last bit of my rolls of Octave ABS filament and now I want to print only in PLA. I have my reasons haha
So I have a S4 with a E3D Lite6 hotend and glass bed.
I have been doing research on printing PLA for a while I know things like i don't need my glass bed or heat the bed and just use painters tape and to run a bit cooler extruder temp.
Also planning on printing fan ducts out of the last bit of abs I have as I read they are benifitical.

But anything else I will need before switching to PLA? Any settings that would be adjusted for the switch?

2 (edited by Ski52 2016-10-20 04:22:27)

Re: (SD4)Switching from ABS to PLA. What do I need?

It's not as big a deal as folks are led to believe.  Bed temp ~75C  extruder temp ~190 I use glass & hairspray, no enclosure and fans directed at the print bed.  I have specific fans that I can control outside the printer, but you really don't need to go to that extent - until you experiment.  A small desktop fan pointed at the bed from a foot or so away will help significantly.  PLA needs to be cooled more quickly than ABS.  Sometimes, I change filament colors and type a few times a day - no big thing!  Be sure the nozzle is cleaned of the old filament and go...  ABS needs the enclosure - PLA doesn't. 
Try it, you'll like it!

Ski

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

It's not as big a deal as folks are led to believe.  Bed temp ~75C  extruder temp ~190 I use glass & hairspray, no enclosure and fans directed at the print bed.  I have specific fans that I can control outside the printer, but you really don't need to go to that extent - until you experiment.  A small desktop fan pointed at the bed from a foot or so away will help significantly.  PLA needs to be cooled more quickly than ABS.  Sometimes, I change filament colors and type a few times a day - no big thing!  Be sure the nozzle is cleaned of the old filament and go...  ABS needs the enclosure - PLA doesn't. 
Try it, you'll like it!

Ski

Thanks! My printer does have an enclosure. Would it be more benifitical without it? Or will it negatively effect pla prints with the enclosure?

Thanks! My printer does have an enclosure. Would it be more benifitical without it? Or will it negatively effect pla prints with the enclosure?

I have a mostly stock SD4 i have always printed PLA. Keep the glass bed spray with hair spray lower the heat. lft the lid and open the door  if you like .  As you say a nozzle duct is beneficial. but i still have not added one.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

keep the glass - make sure it is clean and free of fingerprints (rubbing alcohol is great for this).
PLA should stick to clean bare glass just fine heated to about 55-60C (75 is too much IMHO)

If you find you have problems with the PLA sticking to bare glass, use just a light dusting of hairspray.

for the hotend - between 190-210C - kind of depends on the exact material, but most of my PLA runs quite well at 200C through my E3D hotends (both v6 & Lite6 models)

If you have an enclosure - at the very least, open the top and one side to allow excess heat to escape.

A layer fan (duct pointing at the layer being printed) is an excellent idea, but even a small fan pointed at the print will help. How much fan is needed will vary with the item being printed. simple shapes with no overhangs can usually be done with very little to no fan. Complex shapes with overhangs, and small areas, will greatly benefit from the use of a fan.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

One thing you will want to know is to make sure you clear your nozzle of the ABS first. Since it melts at a higher temperature, little bits will remain in the nozzle and color your print. I have a specific model (the octopus) that I run at ABS temps with PLA filament when I switch between the two just to make sure I get all of the ABS out. Just FYI.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

+1 for layer fan and hairspray. And for removing the top of the enclosure when printing.

Almost all PLA has run great at 200C on my lite6 and v6 also.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi