Topic: Showing your printer

Had a blast yesterday. Over the past 10 plus years I have exhibited my mini simple "Steam engines" at various model engine shows .  Yesterday rather than my engines I took my  Prusa I3 and a bunch of stuff I 3d printed.
I felt like the exhibit was well received and well attended  even by fellow exhibitors.
Many people had never seen a 3d printer before. and  it was not uncommon for folks to stand and watch for 15 minutes.
So lots of fun.
A young college student that I have seen at many shows and is from the area volunteered to help. He is a member of the Make 717 group out of Lancaster PA  . That makerspace has  IIRC, 5 printers and uses simplify 3d . So my setup was a little different . But Steve has a keen eye and a love for 3d printing and was a great asset  to have available . And he had lots of fun as well.

And I did display a 3D printed engine . It needs a heavier fly wheel to run .

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: Showing your printer

fantastic! glad you had a good time.

Did you get any pictures? would love to see some. smile

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

sadly did not take any photos but here is a link to a bunch of the days events.

http://www.roughandtumble.org/viewalbum/212/

tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

looks like a fun time.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Last year i took my solidoole 4 to the same show.  I feel like this year got more attention. The I3 is open easier to see the print bed . I hd more on the table to interest people and a had a key fob designed for the venue a 20 minute print.

So a something that prints fast that folks can identify with and variety to relate to a variety of interests.

tin

I think a 3D printer would be a boon to model railroaders. Make all your own buildings, streetlights, etc. esp with something like the new Prusa four-color unit. Even print your own RR cars. Or it that already well in hand? Can you download all those kinds of objects already?

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Well i think that is starting one gentleman I talked to had just picked up an order of 3d printed parts for his HO set up.
An on line friend from another forum  is making  up 40 miniature cases of micro brew ale  each case is aprox 1.5 x 2 x 1 inches . He is using a 30 watt home laser and a to make the crates and a cnc lathe to make aluminum bottles.
Tin

8 (edited by n2ri 2016-10-11 20:58:15)

that's Great Tin,

I got mine mostly to use making scale model railroad items with the rest of my equipment I have been making for over 20 years now. I model in N scale myself and make items from 1/12th scale down to 1/220th plus some full size wigets and have sold many different items, with several hundred in my list of available products and over 10,000 different items for custom orders if asked for. just a way to support my hobby/habits on low fixed income while retired/disabled. plus some gifts for friends & family or trading. I have several posts/topics on here about this. I love not only sharing my Hobbys but showing others how to enjoy some old school Art forms they can use to create useful items and have fun. after all a Hobby of any kind is only enjoyed when shared with & appreciated by others.
Mitch/N2RI

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Well Done Tin.

I am a member of two r/c boat clubs as well as a model engineering club and have been asked to display my machine next year at a couple of the shows that we do.

What engine did you print out? I am working on a printed Stirling  engine at the moment.

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

I did it again . I took the MP Mini to the big show that I do. It is called Cabin fever Expo. For whatever reason it was the only 3d printer on display at the whole huge show.
That little printer generated lots of enthusiasm and created the understanding of the availability of small printers.

For those of you who like pics her is a link of the 2010 show every year is different of course but enough to  give the idea of the show.
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102 … source=pwa
Enjoy

I take parts I have printed to my local Meccano (Erector for those in the states) show, some are direct copies of meccano parts that are no longer obtainable, others are parts of my own design, that are compatible.
so far I have received good feedback, and have printed some special parts for various people, if my printer was smaller, I would take it and demonstrate it- but its a bit big to be moving around a lot.

Several years ago I took some printed parts to a small ME show in Lowel Mass. It was at the National park there.
I had taken a handful of prints from the SD4  . One of the visitors asked me if I built the printer. The obvious answer was that I have not. then they accused me of displaying things that the computer had done all the work on and said I had no right to show it. I was so unprepared for such a statement I did not know what to say.  In retrospect I should have asked them what printer they owned.

I think a 3D printer would be a boon to model railroaders.

I did have a lot of cool conversation with folks . I did meet a guy that built his own printer. He is currently building a model Wal Mart for his layout. 
Another couple of people a father and daughter. The daughter has some tinker cad experience.and has some 3d printing experience through school. She had mentioned 3d printers to him but he was thinking they were   large industrial machines and expensive.  He offered to buy her a printer if she can do IMHO very doable project for him.

Tin

Tin, I think they misunderstood what you trying to show. They think you are trying to show the machine, but you are showing how to use new tool to prototype (or something like that).

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I think they were caught in the Hype of the time. the media was telling people they could make anything with the press of a button. If they had any real 3d printing experience they would have appreciated the items on the table .

Tin Falcon wrote:

Several years ago I took some printed parts to a small ME show in Lowel Mass. It was at the National park there.
I had taken a handful of prints from the SD4  . One of the visitors asked me if I built the printer. The obvious answer was that I have not. then they accused me of displaying things that the computer had done all the work on and said I had no right to show it. I was so unprepared for such a statement I did not know what to say.  In retrospect I should have asked them what printer they owned.

I think a 3D printer would be a boon to model railroaders.

I did have a lot of cool conversation with folks . I did meet a guy that built his own printer. He is currently building a model Wal Mart for his layout. 
Another couple of people a father and daughter. The daughter has some tinker cad experience.and has some 3d printing experience through school. She had mentioned 3d printers to him but he was thinking they were   large industrial machines and expensive.  He offered to buy her a printer if she can do IMHO very doable project for him.

Tin

the answer to that is that you have had to create the design for the printer to print, there is every bit of skill involved inputting a 3d design into CAD as there is in constructing an item.

the answer to that is that you have had to create the design for the printer to print, there is every bit of skill involved inputting a 3d design into CAD as there is in constructing an item.

Well at this point I can honestly say I have built two 3d printers. And i have made several designs With CAD as well.