Topic: Solidoodle 3 Heatbed No Longer Working

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted. I haven't been printing much, but decided to hook everything back up and give it ago since I need a microphone mount.

I noticed that my heatbed was no longer reading that it was heating up in Repetier Host, while my extruder was at perfect temperature. I felt around, cold to the touch. It didn't heat at all, after 15 min, so I knew it wasn't just a read error. Heatbed previously worked perfectly a couple weeks ago.

Attempt at solution
: Restarted printer, re-connected, nothing.

Where I am now:

I have disconnected both the hot wires and ground wires from the CB, I have found that the hot wire seems to have burnt on the outside casing (See Photos). What are my options to getting this fixed?

Any help appreciated.

Connor

Post's attachments

14454122_1808161402735279_779783938_o.jpg
14454122_1808161402735279_779783938_o.jpg 251.9 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-09-27 

14522286_1808161369401949_1725950982_o.jpg
14522286_1808161369401949_1725950982_o.jpg 180.16 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Solidoodle 3 Heatbed No Longer Working

Also, could not get a reading on my meter since the probes are too small to get into the connection points - in hopes to find someone with a smaller one.

You should upgrade to the hale bed by printitindustries

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

@Kronikabuse, I really don't use my printer enough to justify throwing more money to upgrade it, being at college as is I have access to much much better printers. I just wanted to print something up in my apartment instead of having to go to Campus, but now I am thinking about just selling off the machine after I fix this issue anyways since I have one around me pretty much all the time that is much better and around the same cost to operate.

How much

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28

Depends, if I can get it fixed, I'll probably sell for right around $300 I think. $375 with the Z-bar and all the left over filament I have (3 rolls), Kapton, and the metal case.

http://soliforum.com/i/?M9JGWR6.jpg

Bumping, pulled the board out, burnt tip on the connection. Can't get a reading from any of the wires. Going to try and clean it and replug in, but, will keep updating and checking for suggestions.

Ground wires plugged in on the opposite side when plugged in translate the temp to Repetier, I can get a true reading of (currently) 26.8C, but when heat quest is sent, I still don't have an increase, so it's definitely dealing with the hot side, my guess where they connection fried anyways. Just narrowing it down and using this thread to document my progress.

gonna throw my 0.02 cents worth in here - the stock bed heater is not worth trying to fix. it is too small for the bed size and will never be able to heat the whole bed evenly.

Upgrade the bed heater to the Calidum Hale heater by PrintIt Industries and the printer will be worth the asking price.

I have 2 of the SD4s, and both have been upgraded to the Hale heat bed. I bought one when they were first introduced and was so impressed I bought the 2nd one. My heat up times have been cut by more than half, and the heater works so well that I have actually reduced the bed temp (making heat up times even shorter) and STILL get good ABS adhesion - all the way to the outer edges - yes, it is THAT good and worth every penny.

https://www.printitindustries.com/produ … -8-heatbed

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I ended up fixing the issue, it was the plug that had burned up. I got a replacement and have it up and running. I've made the choice to upgrade printers entirely. I do not have the time to fool around with this one and with such little support online for Solidoodle products, I've decided to change. big_smile

you have all the support on this board

This board has been the best source of support & help for Solidoodle printers since it's inception - even when Solidoodle was still in operation.

Regardless of what you decide to do, all printers are going to need calibration, maintenance, and even repairs at some point. Doesn't matter where it comes from, or who makes it.

good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Hi

Mine also is faulty.

Is the Calidum Hale heater by PrintIt Industries easy to install.

I don't like to fidle the firmware so ...

sigiel wrote:

Hi

Mine also is faulty.

Is the Calidum Hale heater by PrintIt Industries easy to install.

I don't like to fidle the firmware so ...

yes, it is very easy to install but does require a small change in the firmware - changing the thermistor table number - for accuracy in temp reporting.

heartless wrote:

yes, it is very easy to install but does require a small change in the firmware - changing the thermistor table number - for accuracy in temp reporting.

Changing to a type 5 sensor to be exact.
You could also jack the temps higher in the firmware if you wanted. I would recommend setting Max Temp to 135c if you were to try it, though it is UL recognized up to 150c.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I also just discovered a failed print bed heater on my SD3. If I move the wires leading into the heat pad, I can sometimes get the temps to start rising, but it does not last long. So definitely a bad heat pad. Dead in the water until I get this fixed.

The Calidum Hale heater sounds great, but how do I update my firmware? Is this a simple step-by-step process I can do on a Windows machine? Is there a guide that shows exactly how to change the thermistor table number in the firmware?

If this is a more involved step than a novice is prepared for, does a heat pad exist that is a direct swap-in, no firmware change?

Thanks!
Steve

Depending on which board you have, firmware can be a rather simple thing to change.
If you need help identifying your board, post a picture of it here.

http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

http://soliforum.com/i/?iphY3n7.jpg

Thanks for the link. Attached is the board pic, I can see that it has the word "Sanguinololu" on it, so I'm guessing it's that board? Thankfully, that seems to be the easier one to flash!

Is it obvious where to make the change for the thermistor type? Is it in the Configuration.h file?

Steve

So I just checked that Configuration.h file in the firmware. Please confirm I got this right:

Change this line:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 6 //{SD Patch}
To:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 5 //{SD Patch}

And change this line:
#define BED_MAXTEMP 110 //{SD Patch}
To:
#define BED_MAXTEMP 135 //{SD Patch}

And make these changes in addition to the other directions in the link.

Correct?

Thanks so much for your help! I'll go ahead and order the bed heater now.

Steve

Yep, looks like you've got it.  That board should give you no problems.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Received the new bed heater, installed it, compiled the firmware update and uploaded it. I'm back up and running, and the bed even heats faster. Thanks a ton for the help. It was easier than I expected. The hardest part was getting the leftover adhesive goo off the bottom of the plate from the old heater.

Glad to hear you got it working.

Greetings sfgorman. Good to hear you got the Calidium heated bed going. I am also about to plung into changing mine on  original SD3 with E3d v6 and sanguinolo v1.3. Can  ask you to share the steps involved. I have the heating pad and am waiting on a new 12v PS. Will the new pad fit directly into the aluminum bed? will the 3 alignment screws get in the way?
Mostly I am confused as to what it take to adjust the firmware. Do I have to download a program to do it? Iv been looking for the configuration.h file on my computer as described on a few websites. I assume its on the SD and I have to open it to change, then overwrite?
The directions are a bit overwhelming. Python, host, etc.
Any help in simple steps would be appreciated.

Very appreciated.

The Sang is very easy to flash.  Follow the steps and you'll be changing the bed thermistor to "5".
http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

Ok Iv followed as many tutorials and instructions as I could but am not sure if anything was updated. The following is the process I followed on my 3 year old SD3 with stock Sanguinololu(sanguino) v1.3. Since I assume it was flashed with the first factory firmaware I hope that anything other than my attempt to flash for the E3D and  Calidum HALE Heated Bed wont be affected.
I downloaded "Solidoodle-arduino-1.0.5-windows.zip", since it had "sanguino" in its hardware list I was able to select and use without using the "Sanguino-0101r1.zip". I opened adriuno loaded "Marlin.pde", set #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 5 // and #define BED_MAXTEMP 135 //. I then sketch verify/compile. No errors. I then saved, pressed the button on the sang board let go then uploaded from the adriuno. Seem to go ok but ends with "avrud: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xd7". I don't know what is missing.
Does the solidoodle have to be on or off? Do I press and hold the button, or press and release? I see the led is lite but no flashing. Doe I press befre and after or just before? The header pins have a jumper on it by default so from what ive read this is ok.
My unknown is a "bootloader? Is this an extra program I am supposed to install? or does the arduino-1.0.5 include one.
Any advice would be helpful.
I can run the solidoodle but I noticed that using a  Infrared Thermometer the bed temp is 10deg higher than what repitier reads. I also have to calibrate the feed cause I getting lots of blobs on the vertical layers.
In the past with the original SD3 hotend and bed I was able to print nice parts. But since it melted after 3 years of service Im of course upgrading.
Any help would be appreciated

http://soliforum.com/i/?IQbmHz9.png.

Victor