Topic: All Metal Hot End

I am contemplating the first mod to my Duplicator I3 Plus. I would like to try some different filaments that seem to need an all metal hot end. I have done some research and at the moment it seems to come down to two ... The Mark10 (direct replacement) and the Promethius V2.

The Mk10 of course is pretty much plug and play and gets rid of the PTFE tube. The Promethius is a one piece tube that seems to be adjustable to several set ups.

Not sure which one would be best.

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

Re: All Metal Hot End

the e3d chimera is a good choice too

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

The chimera seams to be a dual head and I only need a single.

sorry about that I misread

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Then the E3d V6 is pretty much the gold standard.  Don't take my word for it, ask around.

http://www.printitindustries.com/produc … -assembled

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

You could take a look at Tom's Guides on  You tube he has dona review of a lot of 3d printing products. 
The only complaint I am aware of with the ED3 is the older models reqired the installation of a thermocouple a bit fiddly to say the leaste. But the new versions have a cartridge thermocouple that solves the Issue.

Also consider how you will mount the new hot end to the extruder you may want to add a titan as well as an ED3v6

I added an ED3 and titan to one of my machines.
You will have to mod the firmware for any similar mod.

Tin

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thanks for the replies. For now, I am going to go with the MK10 for the convenience of it. I am, however, going to build a new machine over the winter and it will have the E3D and Titan combo.

What is/ or is there any advantage to using 3mm filament over the 1.75? I need to start making some of these decisions so I can get all the bits in.

Tom

3mm filament will decrease your max printing speeds for one, and some users have reported more problems with the 3 over 1.75 filaments such as hollow core in the filament, though this is exceptionally rare from what I understand.

3mm filament was kind of a standard 5 or 6 years ago, but most companies have already swapped over to 1.75 last last few years.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Tin Falcon wrote:

thermocouple

Thermistor smile

Thanks for the info.

The E3D's must be popular as they are out of stock in most places just now.

Tom

if you are going to buy an E3D, PLEASE, make sure you are getting the real deal - there are a lot of clones on the market that are not made to the same exacting standards as the real one.

check this page for authorized resellers: http://e3d-online.com/Genuine-Check

For US based outlets, I can highly recommend either PRINTiT Industries (fully assembled) or Filastruder (diy kits).

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Want to get to the All metal Hotend PLA Print?

Then there can be independent of the manufacturer problems with the Jam, that has not been satisfactorily resolved. We therefore now use Coated Heatbraks and nozzles minimize this problem. But this is only necessary in the processing of PLA.

I'm likely getting it from E3D themselves, unless Printit get's the 12volt ones back in stock soon. I am assuming that the Wanhao is 12 volt, just in case I decide to put it in there.

Tom

This is what I am looking at getting. It should work on what I have now if I want, but it will also work on what I want to build over the winter.   http://e3d-online.com/Prusa-i3-Upgrade-Kit

Tom

Actually ... I just realised that this machine is still under warranty so I won't be doing anything to it for now.

Tom