Topic: Painting embossed (inset) letters

I would like to fill my recessed text with paint. You'd think you just glob on some acrylic or whatever and wipe off the excess but it is a little trickier than that. It's hard to get all the excess off the surrounding material (ABS) without some getting in the texture crevices. If you scrub too much you pull the paint out of the lettering.

Any tips?

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Re: Painting embossed (inset) letters

spray paint?

fine paint brush and a lot of patience. wink

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Masking and airbrush..... Or if your good enough with an airbrush, no masking..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by Claghorn 2016-09-26 23:18:18)

Paint everything, then sand off the flat part. You could even deliberately model the top layer a little thicker to give you something to sand off.

Or get really fanatical and make two separate prints. One for the top that has the letters completely cut through, and a separate layer with the structure you want for the letters. Paint the letters, then insert them in the top layer :-).

Good ideas. Claghorn, I arrived at the sanding one myself, works fine as long as you have a flat surface. A variation on your "fanatical" idea would be to print the two pieces in different colors and use no paint.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10