Topic: Fried my controller board, now what...

So I had an issue where my Press would shut off just after coming to temp and initiating the print.  Like as soon as the bed and extruder hit their temp and it started to home the axis the printer would just shut off entirely.  Unplugging and plugging the PSU made no difference.  I assumed this was an issue with the PSU so I bought a replacement.

When the replacement arrived, I popped open the old PSU and desoldered the plug to use on the new PSU.  This is where it all went down hill.  The wires in the connector were colored white and black.  I don't know what possessed me but I hooked up white to negative and black to positive and then didn't bother to use my multi-meter to verify the ground plane.  Maybe I secretly just wanted this thing to die.  Idk...

There was no puff of smoke or any noise to speak of, it just didn't turn on.  That's when I rechecked everything and discovered my mistake.  I swapped the leads and hoped that there were some diodes protecting the board but when I pressed the power button I got nothing.

So that's where I'm at.  I fried the board and I'm considering next steps.

Is there an easily replaced part to bring this board back to life?  Should I buy a cheap SainSmart RAMPs 1.4 kit for $40 and convert it to 24v?  Should I splurge on a Taurino Power?  Or just give up and buy a Maker Select Mini?

2 (edited by TruFord93 2016-12-16 02:28:00)

Re: Fried my controller board, now what...

Hey cptskippy! Sorry to hear about the board, I took mine out and dont use it anymore. I'll sell it to you if youre interested in replacing it with an OEM.

TruFord

Re: Fried my controller board, now what...

Oh so many options.
First of all sorry for you loss of the board.
As far as sainsmart I have a couple of there ramps boards but have not used them yet. Microc enter want crazy prices for the drivers. I would probably go folder tech  for a ramps .

There are guys here who love there press and have offered to buy others that are no longer wanted by the owners.  And there are certainly nicer boards than the stock or ramps. 

Converting to 24v you will need to replace the hot end heater and the heat bed as well as the board.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura