Topic: Workbench Refurb

Hi, I have a SD Workbench , could anyone point me to some link or pages where I can found how to update/refurbish the workbench? My main issues are the extruders and z axis (first layers not moving down properly),  thanks all

Re: Workbench Refurb

This is a bit of an open ended vague question.

People here have completely rebuilt printers. so if you can search for and find a project log that would help you. 

main issues are the extruders and z axis (first layers not moving down properly),  thanks all

What  problems are you having with the extruder / hot end.
What are the issues with the Z axis.

Do you have any prints to show  good bad or ugly can you post photos of the print(s)

Th machine may just need a good going over . tighten the grub/set screws adjust tighten the belts.  level the bed adjust the z stop,
calibrate e calibrate xyz   and get a good set up in your various config files. IE adjust software settings.  You may also need to ajust your v ref pots on the board.

tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thans, your right, now that I read is hard to get a specific answer.

The problem in z is basically the first layers, they are really squished , it seems the motor is not turning to move the 0.3 mm of the layer; i already move the vref for Z and check the rods , but haven´t been able to get this to work properly (main issue) ; in regards of the extruder how to replace (with what) or get some spare parts ... hope this is better .... thanks,

The Z axis on a Workbench is finicky to say the least.  The root cause lies within the cantilever design.  Couple that with bushings on rods that may not be true and you have a recipe for failure.  What you're experiencing is what I call bed hop.  Basically the motor and rod are turning properly.  Because the tolerances of the nut on the threaded rod are loose, it can turn a couple layers without the bed actually moving.  Once the rod turns enough to force the bed down the bed platform pops loose and falls until the weight is once again resting on the nut.  With this system having no backlash nut, it relies on gravity to do the work.  The motor and threaded rod should not be pulling the bed down (on this specific machine).  Gravity should smoothly pull the platform down as the threaded rod allows.  The issue is resistance of the bushings on the guide rods.  Particularly the space between the uppers and lower bushings create a situation where instead of sliding they are really trying to bend the guide rods.  The more weight and resistance the bigger the problem becomes.  The good news is, there's a few things you can do to help.  First would be the obvious, clean and oil the rods.
Second, actually rotate the rods in place and watch to see if one is bent.  Sometimes simply rotating a rod will free things up.
Thirdly would be to come up with a way to actually pull straight down on the platform at the very rear or even behind the rods.  (Think small doubled back bungee cord material). Attach one on each side of the platform right next to the guide rods at the top of the platform.  Then go through some sort of loop hook on the bottom of the machine that the cord can slide through.  Then run back up and attach to the top of the frame of the machine.  This will help keep the force consistent through the entire range of the z  axis.  Alternately you could hang some form of weight at the same location as I described above.  One on each side, farther behind the guide rods the better.

Either way, been there and done that.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Thanks , will try

Once turning the rods, how it feels to know is bent? What should i look for?

One last question, what about the aligning ? there is this metal plate where the rods are inserted and is screwed to the machine body, any tips on those?   thanks.

You'll be able to see the rod wobble as you rotate it.  You would also feel (if bent) a spot where it doesn't want to turn.  There is no way to align the rods as their position is fixed by the frame.  If you want to visualize the end result, picture sliding the platform up and down with the threaded rod removed.  The whole thing should slide nice and smooth.  On mine that is exactly how I did it.  But that gets fairly involved and really shouldn't be necessary.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions