Re: [HOWTO] Convert Da Vinci Jr to RAMPS 1.4

I have gotten RC8 config working on my git based on this writeup (Thanks so much for the start!) It works perfectly and have been printing for a while with it. Now if Marlin will get manual mesh bed leveling working properly i would love it! My bed is skewed by like .15mm on the left side and it makes it virtually useless to print on that side.

mysticmixles wrote:
willthiswork89 wrote:

Sounds like you may not have your hot end hooked to the right port. Fan control wont be there since you turned on Auto Fan Control on D9 (if you followed the full setup). Fans will only come up when thermistor gets to > 50 degrees C.

Heating failed i think only happens when there is no load from the hotend (which should be plugged into D10).

Is your thermistor reading properly? at ambient should be reading about 28 degrees or so.

Ambient temp is reading at 28 C on the dot.

And I never would have guessed that auto fan disabled manual controls, thanks. The hotels is plugged in to D10. Guess I'll recheck my connections now, but I'm pretty sure they're solid. I'll post a picture shortly.

If you have a Digital multimeter you should be able to test the connection to the hot end. and if it seems solid then try checking the voltage at D10 when you kick the heat on.

How are you testing temperature? GCODE? or through the screen?

willthiswork89 wrote:
mysticmixles wrote:
willthiswork89 wrote:

Sounds like you may not have your hot end hooked to the right port. Fan control wont be there since you turned on Auto Fan Control on D9 (if you followed the full setup). Fans will only come up when thermistor gets to > 50 degrees C.

Heating failed i think only happens when there is no load from the hotend (which should be plugged into D10).

Is your thermistor reading properly? at ambient should be reading about 28 degrees or so.

And I never would have guessed that auto fan disabled manual controls, thanks. The hotels is plugged in to D10. Guess I'll recheck my connections now, but I'm pretty sure they're solid. I'll post a picture shortly.

If you have a Digital multimeter you should be able to test the connection to the hot end. and if it seems solid then try checking the voltage at D10 when you kick the heat on.

I'm checking it on screen. I'll go grab my multimeter and read voltage when I turn up the temp.

54 (edited by ednunez1200 2016-12-29 02:24:42)

I converted one to RAMPS 1.4 over the last week. My son got this printer for $20 from Craigslist because it was not working. The hot end had been taken apart and was missing pieces, the heater block connection was torn off the PCB, the hot end fan was missing. A replacement hot end from XYZ was $90 so the conversion to RAMPS was a better plan.

I ordered a cheap RAMPS 1.4 kit through AMAZON. Also ordered a Dupont connector kit and a crimper. I initially planned to use the existing optical end stops and add the resistors to make it work wit the RAMPS kit but after looking at the mountings for the existing end stop I went another route. I purchased a set of RAMPS compatible optical end stops and modified the existing end stop mounts to accept then. This is a one way modification so there is no going back to the original end stops. I can provide details if requested.

I took apart the DV Jr. Removed all the plastic housing except for the bottom, removed the controller board, removed the spool holder, removed the ribbon cable from the controller to the hot end/fan, and the end stop cables. The new end stops came with cables with single Dupont connectors on the RAMPS end. I cut off the 2.0mm JST connectors from the stepper cables and replaced them with 4-position Dupont connectors with new crimped on terminals using the same wiring pinout as the original connectors. I am also using the original DV Jr power supply which seems to be adequate since there is no heated bed to power.

I printed an E3 V6 holder from Thingiverse and I am using a cheap E3 V6 clone from Amazon. The thermistor that came with the E3 V6 had the right Dupont connector to plug into the RAMPS. I connected the end stops per the correct pinout to the RAMPS. I am using D10 and D9 for the hot end and hot end fan respectively. I flashed the Ramps with the firmware linked to by Anthem (Thank you!!) with a couple of minor adjustments for home position and LCD type.

So far everything works as expected. I need to do some serious wiring management, mount the RAMPS where it is safe and see if I want to put the housing back on. I also want to modify the DV Jr LCD panel to accept the new LCD display/SD reader. I also want to replace the extruder with something better (but low cost). I still need to do more tuning of the printer and print settings to get everything working to my liking. I also need to hook up the LED light strip.

Here is a picture: http://soliforum.com/i/?y9gsLcX.jpg

Adding pictures of the end stops:

X axis: http://soliforum.com/i/?a1KImrx.jpg

Y axis: http://soliforum.com/i/?K0DYDFd.jpg

Z axis: http://soliforum.com/i/?N9t33te.jpg

The end stops are held in place with a dab of hot glue on the bottom side of each PCB.

I am trying to get this completed and closed up by this weekend before going back to work. It has been a busy but fun few days working on this project and I learned a lot. This is the first time I used and flashed any type of Arduino board. I may add a Raspberry 0 I have to run Octorpint to control the printer. I use another RPi0 running Octoprint to control my Monoprice Select Mini.

looks great! Ill get some pictures of my build when i get home.

willthiswork89 wrote:
mysticmixles wrote:
willthiswork89 wrote:

I'm not getting any volt measurement from D10 when I turn the heat up. Any ideas? Bad board?

can you post your configuration.h and configuration_adv.h for me?

does a red light come on when you set temp? on the top right side of board

willthiswork89 wrote:

does a red light come on when you set temp? on the top right side of board

Configs :
          Configuration             http://pastebin.com/aByd7SCY
          Configuration_adv     http://pastebin.com/gKYZKUzd
Where is this light supposed to come on? Upper right side of the board, if the screen connector is on the right?

Redlight is above the d10 terminal in that corner. When you turn on heat it should kick that on. Do you have both positives and both negatives connected to the ramps board?

Configs look good I don't see anything wrong. If you don't see the redlight something is definitely strange. I would open the Arduino serial monitor and see if the printer is kicking back and error message through the serial console

willthiswork89 wrote:

Redlight is above the d10 terminal in that corner. When you turn on heat it should kick that on. Do you have both positives and both negatives connected to the ramps board?

Configs look good I don't see anything wrong. If you don't see the redlight something is definitely strange. I would open the Arduino serial monitor and see if the printer is kicking back and error message through the serial console

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Arduino, unfortunately. The light isn't on, so I'm checking the serial logs. I opened the arduino program, went to tools, then clicked on serial monitor. Some strange characters were there. I raised temp, it failed, and nothing printed to console. I'm assuming I need to enable some form of verbose logging, but I don't know how. Can you give me a quick run down?

when you open the serial monitor you will need to adjust the baud rate to 250000 at the bottom left hand corner of the serial monitor. That should fix the strange characters. Once you do that try raising the temp again when you are seeing realy human readable stuff come out.

Im not sure if i asked this but make sure that the power connector has TWO positives and TWO negatives connected to it. These power the different mosfets. Can you take a picture of the board and where you have things connected (top down would be great)

also did you buy the same exact osoyoo ramps board from the write up?

64 (edited by mysticmixles 2016-12-29 19:04:04)

willthiswork89 wrote:

when you open the serial monitor you will need to adjust the baud rate to 250000 at the bottom left hand corner of the serial monitor. That should fix the strange characters. Once you do that try raising the temp again when you are seeing realy human readable stuff come out.

Im not sure if i asked this but make sure that the power connector has TWO positives and TWO negatives connected to it. These power the different mosfets. Can you take a picture of the board and where you have things connected (top down would be great)

Yeah, it's the same board. I definitely didn't wire up two positives and two negatives, as I've got no clue what you're talking about. Sorry for the awful picture, my desk is a disaster right now, so I can't position it well. They're attached. If it doesn't work, I've uploaded to imgur as well : http://imgur.com/a/WqsQZ
The two sets of wires in the D9 spot are for the two fans - I started to prep wiring for other parts.

As for the log, setting it to 250000 baud worked. A few seconds after setting the temp, it failed as usual, and the log read : 

Error:Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0
Error:Printer halted. kill() called!

Can you, or someone else, post an image of their board so that I have something to work off of? It's unfortunate that Anthem didn't take more than 1 picture, or post a wiring diagram yet. Thanks!

Post's attachments

IMG_20161229_015106.jpg
IMG_20161229_015106.jpg 2.59 mb, 3 downloads since 2016-12-29 

IMG_20161229_135338.jpg 2.95 mb, 2 downloads since 2016-12-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

see the green plug where you have your power adapter going? d10 and d9 are powered by the RIGHT two (the ones you dont have plugged in). When looking at the green plug where the power adapter goes in, you need to wire your power adapter to the two connectors closest to the end of the board.

http://imgur.com/cXIPNwX

there. the ones you have it plugged into right now are only used for the heated bed. move that and youll get heat.  i drew arrows where to plug it in

willthiswork89 wrote:

http://imgur.com/cXIPNwX

there. the ones you have it plugged into right now are only used for the heated bed. move that and youll get heat.  i drew arrows where to plug it in

Are you sure? The image provided by OSOYOO shows that I've got them correctly wired : http://osoyoo.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … 568768.jpg

Are they supposed to be hooked up to both the terminals they're currently connected to, and the green terminals?

Can you send a picture of your board?

Thanks a ton for the help by the way.

im 100% positive those are the only ones i have plugged in. I bet you dont get power to the LCD screen without USB right? thats because the right hand side drives extruder + LCD. just try it. Ill get you a picture of my board when i get home (im at work )

I have it plugged in to the wall right now, and the LCD is fully functioning. I'll try green ports now.

http://soliforum.com/i/?8cDMe6j.jpg

i forgot i had one on facebook there you go.

you can actually see the little red LED in the corner there too by the USB

you can actually see the little red LED in the corner there too by the USB

Ah see, I've got a regular power cord connected, not one cut up and plugged in to the green terminals.

Post's attachments

IMG_20161229_165108.jpg
IMG_20161229_165108.jpg 3.05 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

74 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-12-29 21:56:27)

mysticmixles wrote:

I have it plugged in to the wall right now, and the LCD is fully functioning. I'll try green ports now.

The wall wart only supplies power to the arduino board which is the one on the bottom. The LCD is powered by the Arduino as well. The wall wart or adapter as you call it will not power the system. This means unless you hook a power supply to both side of the green connector as shown in the osooyo pic then there will be no power to the motors, heater, bed, or lights. Also if you hook the power supply up correctly then the Ramps board will also power the Arduino board and you will not need the wall adapter. I converted my Da Vinci 1.0 to Ramps so I have lots of experience as well.

You will need a supply like they have pictured in their drawing. It needs to be able to supply 30 amps and a wall adapter cannot do that.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

aha that definitely wont work since the mosfets need direct current from the green connector above. What i did on mine is went to radioshack and got a female jack and soldered leads to it so i didnt have to hack up my davinci power cord.