Topic: Noob question - temperature settings in Repetier-Host, and start print

Hi all
I just bougt a used 'Solidoodle 2 Expert' that have been used for only one prototype, so it is like brand new. This is my first attemt on using a 3D printer, and I have in fact not printed anything yet - hence this noob question.

To start with, I am using latest version of Repetier-Host. In this software I have configured Solidoodle specific settings (printer and slicer settings) according to suggestions found in this forum - so far so good.

Some of these settings are in 'Printer settings' where I can set my default extruder/bed temperatur. According to my logic, when I start a print, the printer should first start when these temperatures have been reached. However - when I uploaded a sample STL file, and pressed the start button, the printer startet to print immidiatly. At that time the extruder and bed were still on room temperatur.

What am I doing wrong here? How do I start a print correctely to ensure that the temperatures have been reached?

Br
Lemme

Re: Noob question - temperature settings in Repetier-Host, and start print

This can be a little confusing you can add the propper m codes to the start g code file these are in slicer settings  . or an easy fix is just use the manual mode to pre heat the nozzle and bed extrude a little if you want to insure plastic flow then hit start.
On my sd 4 i just preheat
My prusa has  a preheat though the lcd menu and there is preheat code in the slicer.

A matter of preference It is nice to know when the thing will start and not have to wait.  but YOu need to remember to preheat.
Auto g cde is nice as yu will not forget to turn the heaters on but IMHO waiting for it to start can be unsettling.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Hi Tin
Thanks for replying, and yes, it is a little (very) confusing. For now I will focus on the manual heat mode. And I need to understand a little more about the pre-heating concept.

1)
So I always need to pre-heat before printing (either by g-code or manually)?

2)
Why would I want to only pre-heat a little (not meeting target temperature)? If I pre-heat a little and start printing, I assume the printer starts printing before meeting the correct temperatures and giving bad prints?

3)
Should I in fact pre-heat to the desired temperatur, and then start printing?

4)
If I use manual heat to reach the desired temperature, what is the temperature settings for in the printer settings? Aren't they overruled by the manual settings?

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-07-31 19:55:49)

1) yes you always need to preheat
2&3)  If you use manual pre heat alone preheat to the desired temp. .
4) If you use a manual preheat  when the g code(mcode) kick in it will override the manual settings. the manual settings can then override the auto settings if needed.  Hope this is not confusing but think of it as a stitch or two people at a stove. A person and a robot .

In a perfect world everything can be programmed in with g code and it will work fine.
Manual overrides are something from the machine tool industry. The machine is dumb and will do what it is told. So the programmer does his or her best to program the machine. In the days of old cnc machines were operated by experienced machinists who could hear and feel if things were going the way they should. So the ability to increase or decrease feed rates and spindle speeds is a good thing. 
The same with.3d printing  we are programming our printers in g code via a CAM program we refer to as a slicer. We do our best to put in the best info possible for the best results.  Now we run the print we as the operator can see how the print is coming out. the machine has no idea. so the ability to adjust flow rate of plastic speed of the movements and nozzle and bed temp can come in handy.
Experience  is needed to know what a good print looks like. And there are limits to the manual control  for instance one number of perimeters are set  and infill is set and the slicer does its magic these can not be changed unless you go through the whole slicing process again.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

That is a good explanation, I think I get the idea now.

I just loaded a sample STL, and run the Slic3r. In the G-Code editor I found this code:
M190 S115 ; set bed temperature
M104 S200 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
M109 S200 ; wait for temperature to be reached

Is it correct, that this code will take care of pre-heat (no manual setting)? I mean, M190 and M104 will set the temperature, and M109 will make sure that the print starts when the temperature are reached?

Looks ok without pulling out the "Books"
Tin

Lemme wrote:

That is a good explanation, I think I get the idea now.

I just loaded a sample STL, and run the Slic3r. In the G-Code editor I found this code:
M190 S115 ; set bed temperature
M104 S200 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
M109 S200 ; wait for temperature to be reached

Is it correct, that this code will take care of pre-heat (no manual setting)? I mean, M190 and M104 will set the temperature, and M109 will make sure that the print starts when the temperature are reached?

yes, that should work, but the temp settings themselves should be specific to the material you are using

M190 S115 ; set bed temperature - this is setting bed temp to 115C

M104 S200 ; set temperature - this is setting hotend temp to 200C

The problem I have with using g-code to set preheat temps is that it starts both the bed & hotend at the same time, but the bed usually takes much longer to heat up, leaving your hotend hot and waiting (and drooling filament) for extended periods - this can, and does, lead to clogging.

I, personally, prefer to preheat the bed manually, then load and slice my model(s) while the bed is warming. Then, once the bed is hot, heat up the extruder and then hit print. But to each their own.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

The problem I have with using g-code to set preheat temps is that it starts both the bed & hotend at the same time, but the bed usually takes much longer to heat up, leaving your hotend hot and waiting (and drooling filament) for extended periods - this can, and does, lead to clogging.

I, personally, prefer to preheat the bed manually, then load and slice my model(s) while the bed is warming. Then, once the bed is hot, heat up the extruder and then hit print. But to each their own.

+1

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

widespreaddeadhead wrote:
heartless wrote:

+1

++1

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Many thanks for your answers. They were very usefull for a beginner. I now feel ready to start my first print in the right way.