Topic: Shining 3D Einscan-S scanner

I recently bought and Einscan-S scanner, and got it Monday.  Tonight I got a chance to test it, and frankly, I think this is the best scanner for under $5K.

Functionally it's the same as the $5K David SLS scanner.  It uses structured light projector for scanning.  The software requires a calibration after the hardware setup.  The scanner comes with a mat with outlines for the scanner stand and the tunrtable.  Once everything is hooked up and place on the mat, the calibration needs to be performed.  As long as the scanner is not moved, it doesn't need to be calibrated again.

The scanning process couldn't be easier.  Place the model on the turntable, click scan.  It takes about 3-4 minutes to get a scan.  Once the scan is done, you're prompted to complete the scan, or to continue.  Continuing allows you to preposition the model on the turntable so you can scan it from a different angle.  After each scan, the meshes are automatically aligned and process pauses so you can inspect the model.  Once you decide it's good, click the Complete button to finish.

Additionally, after each pass, you're prompted with an option to simplify the model.  A relatively small model (like an action figure) could have in excess of 2.5 million faces, so simplification could be useful.

Anyway, Once you complete the scan, you have the option to save it as OBJ or STL.  The resulting mesh will be watertight.

So here are the pros and cons so far:

Pros:
Very fast
Dimensionally accurate
good detail
Watertight models
No texture information, the scans are mesh only

Cons:
Way too many wires
Requires calibration if you move the turn table or the scanner/projector
Can't resolve very small details
The software fills in all the gaps, and sometimes that's not desirable

So these are my first impressions with this scanner.  A I continue working with it, I'll post more information.  Meanwhile, Here is a reduce mesh of my very first scan.  The original mesh has 3M+ triangles.  This one here is <100K.  BUt most of the detail was preserved.

Post's attachments

Iron Man_100K.stl 4.5 mb, 23 downloads since 2016-07-28 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

2 (edited by scobo 2016-08-05 20:12:58)

Re: Shining 3D Einscan-S scanner

Hi Pirvan, totally agree with your statement about this scanner being the best under $5k.
I tried the trial version of David with a cheap webcam and 2nd hand projector, the results were pretty damn good but it would have cost more than the Einscan-s to buy the full version of the software and the turntable.
The Einscan-s (mine is rebadged as Afinia ES360) is every bit as good if not better imho and certainly way easier to set up and calibrate. Alignment is much less hassle too being fully automatic in turntable mode and pretty straight forward in free scan mode.
I uploaded a few of my scans here ....http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs/page:1

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

3 (edited by pirvan 2016-08-06 16:16:42)

I'll upload a few things here in the next few days. 

As you've probably seen already, I've been pretty active on the Atlas 3D scanner forum, so I did quite a few scans with that, and it helped me learn and understand how these things work, their shortcomings and such.  The Atlas scans in particular needed some "retouching" work, and it pushed me to learn things like MeshMixer, and MeshLab.

I can apply the knowledge here, since the scans I get from the Einscan are 90%, and they only need a little retouching work.

Right now I'm working on a scan of a Mickey & Minnie music box. and It's coming along nicely.  I'll post some shots later, and maybe a simplified mesh later.

4 (edited by scobo 2016-08-06 16:30:19)

Cheers Pirvan, look forward to seeing your results.
Doesn't seem to be a particularly big user base for this scanner yet (probably as it's a bit more expensive than some of the cheaper laser scanners) so any feedback is welcome.
I don't usually find the need for much post scanning work either. A little smoothing in Meshmixer, here and there. It usually produces teriffic results straight off the bat.

Here is the raw scan of the Mickey & Minnie "Rock Around the Clock" music box.  The only that that was done here I cut the ragged parts at the bottom off, and reduced the mesh from 8Million triangles to 4million.  This mesh is currently 200MB in size.

At this moment I'm retouching it to remove some of the filled in blobby areas (where the hands and feet touch), and smooth out some of the areas on their heads, where it looks gritty, which is an artifact of the talcum powder I put on the black areas so it can scan properly.

This mesh is the result of 4 separate scans (upright, laying on its side, and 2 30° tilted views).  They were done in auto/turntable mode, and the software did all the auto-aligning.

Once I have the final image retouched, I'll post a couple more shots.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=10044

Post's attachments

Mikey & Minnie Music Box Raw.jpg
Mikey & Minnie Music Box Raw.jpg 345.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

6 (edited by scobo 2016-08-06 17:03:36)

Nice job !
Regarding black/shiny objects, I've been using this chalk spray lately .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331257984374? … EBIDX%3AIT
Gives a nice smooth coat that scans well and wipes off easily.