1 (edited by n2ri 2016-07-20 20:01:20)

Topic: Slic3r has perm bugs in every version

I have been using Slic3r since I started 3D printing and now even latest version on one laptop. I cant slice some files no matter what config I use it keeps ignoring support where needed and set, no infil and erases thin walls/objects, no raft or it puts extra support material 4mm from object and places that need none. its crazy and driving me same!

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Re: Slic3r has perm bugs in every version

What exact version of Slic3r and RH are you using?
Take some screenshots of your settings and post them here

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

used Cura Engine instead to slice files. only Cura has no way to set angle of support like Slic3r.

I cant get good screen shots of how crazy Gcode looks but my older versions would not slice one of the models without error 'out of memory' and another stl file wouldnt do support right. so I tried my other laptop with newer versions and it was worse on support and infil on both files so I installed the latest version of RH with all new slicers and still had to use Cura due to newest Slic3r just messed up infil and walls too, instead of helping. I tried hundreds of settings the last 2 days and never fixed Slic3r issues but 20mins in Cura did it and I never used it b4 lol. if they would add a couple features Slic3r has Id switch for good. been working with Reem from 'make it printable' lately (there app is on Thiniverse now for repairs) I signed as beta tester and he's been helping me test bad files I have for repairs with his software. these files are the ones had issues with so some of it may be file errors hidden that even Netfab dont see but seems Slic3r has a couple bugs that have given me problems since the 1st version once in a while and it seems related to its bad habit of Caching old Gcode/settings and mixing them in with next couple slice attempts til over writen a couple times like most users have noticed. hence lots more slicer apps trying to do better. Slic3r acts like it has ghost settings left even after saving new settings. it causes some very odd results as posted in OP. the support shelves as I call them are very odd mostly like fender extensions on cars plus some stray mid air support around model even at top of models. then deleting thin peremeters not just windows but walls etc and not making any infil no matter how hard you set it to do so it wants to make whispy shells with large holes and details missing. cant take that BS anymore. I did not get into 3D printing so I could redesign all apps that are needed to just use printer. at that rate only Rocket scientists should consider a 3D printer as viable hobby.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

my usual Slic3r setting profiles that worked fine on hundreds of N scale cars regfused to even add the normal under body Support and Raft on these mdels so there is something unknown about some stl files that effects Slic3r bad and causes it to ignor several settings, but Netfab nor any other file fixing app show any errors or abnormal parts. yet Slic3r ignores manifold solid models as if they have gaps/holes or parts too thin to print when none are that thin.
then it insists hollow areas (which are really solid) are bridges instead of needing infil or support. this behavior may work in an SLA/DLP/powder type 3D printer if detail items are not needed. but FDM 3D printers require support for parts above print surface. I would love to be able to print cars with open interior details and no support material to remove post print but its not possible with injector/extruder printers. and these slicers are setup for our type printers yet they dont act like it at times.

nobody has a clue why or what can cause this in an STL file even if damaged since repair tool apps cant see the Error causing it.

I broke down each step of slicing starting at bottom (Raft) and tried lots of settings one at a time and could not find one that worked as it should and has with past models/stl files. then done same for peremeters, layers, infil, support etc. only got a few worse results but none that could be printed correct if at all using any version of Slic3r for these repaired files.

but within 1st 30min of use of Cura Engine and a couple setting tweaks got great Gcode results.

that tells me Cura knows something about stl files that Slic3r still dont. now if we just knew what that is.

Post pictures of your current prints.

What Z height/resolution settings are you using?
When was the last time you calibrated your extruder?
After the update, did you spend time to confirm your actual nozzle diameter matches the profile? An inaccurate nozzle setting will throw performance off. And, at times, make supports impossible.

There is a catch 22 with all slicers. So you need to combat each one differently in settings to gain maximum efficiency.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

7 (edited by n2ri 2016-07-21 08:47:11)

I cant get Slic3r to make usable Gcode to print.
yep done printer and nozzle sizes.
I dont understand how support and raft can be ignored or extend support beyond model like it trys to do with only these repaired files. also infil is ignored and parts of details and walls deleted during slicing, just on files that had errors and dont now. same for old versions saying 'memory full' what memory? files are not that huge must be an error acting like unmanifold object trying to map entire print area or something. had these same issues b4 on a few files but mostly thoughs still with errors showing in Netfab etc. odd how repaired files cause this only in Slic3r all versions. some error invisible to repair apps and Slic3r must be doing it but Cura has no problem with it some how. seems Slic3r has a bug that never got fixed after all the updates same as the changed settings being forgotten for a couple trys on half the old versions.

just when you get comfortable using an app they "update" part of it and have to learn again how to use but still has some old bugs.

wish I could post a 3D movable image of the weird Gcodes it makes. cant see it good in still image the Support once you force it looks like a short wall around areas that use it and its about 4mm-6mmbeyond outer edges of model. plus some in mid air like odd shaped towers to top of model but not connected to model in random spots not where any is needed and some spots its needed get none. there is no way to make this happen in settings. saw similar once on a bad file with unmanifold item where short boxes on model got extended to top layer height. but never on repaired model & never away from model body where nothing is above or below the excess material. it looks like material is even laid on top of brims.

its not my computers or anything as I can still slice other files just fine same as b4 with same apps. just this type files are too much for Slic3r to handle, and Myself nor Reem (make it printable) nor Netfab can see any reason for these files to cause it. that only leaves Slic3r as the issue. is there a beta library running in back ground for Slic3r that may have corrupted data in all versions packaged with install maybe? I am sure I am not the only one to have these issues even if most likely never had a bad file repaired b4 or at least not very bad multiple errors. maybe they just trashed the file giving issues instead of working through it. I am sure Slic3r has a small glitch causing this rare freak event. and after installed complete all new version which also packaged other slicers which do the job fine and on a PC with up to date Comodo security, all else is ruled out.

sounds more like an issue with the model than the slicer to me, but what do I know?

Here is a thought... maybe post the stl file and let one of us try slicing it and see what happens...

FWIW, I use RH version 1.0.6 still - the version immediately after that caused me no end of headaches so I stopped updating it for now.
and I use Slic3r version 1.2.9 - haven't had any problems with it yet.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

RH 1.6.2 is the newest ver I just installed and used for this, it comes with the Slic3r ver 1.2.9 and all prev vers on web site say they have bugs not fixed but I also have used most versions with no real issues except for some of these bad files even after repaired to Netfab satisfaction.

how do I upload an stl?

I would like to try having somebody slice it with Slic3r and see how it goes. its for my SD2 with .35mm nozzle, rectilinear support 1.5mm spaed angled 20 degrees plus 1 layer raft and brim. 30 percent infil

n2ri wrote:

how do I upload an stl?

The same way you upload anything else, pictures, PDFs, etc.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10026

Post's attachments

upload.jpg
upload.jpg 72.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

mine only has "upload image"

ok gotta do post reply, not quick reply. now it says file too large so...

maybe a zip

Post's attachments

N1974econoline.zip 3.43 mb, 2 downloads since 2016-07-22 

n2ri wrote:

maybe a zip

I took a look at your model.  The problem is that this model is hollow, and some of the walls are too thin to be printed.

I did a cross section of your model in both the X and the Y axis to show you some of the areas that will probably not slice, or if they do , they will most likely not print at all.

Take a look below at the areas circled in pink.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10028

If you want to fix this, you should completely remove the inside walls, and make it solid, then let Slic3r or Cura define the wall thickness.

Post's attachments

too thin.jpg
too thin.jpg 443.12 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

excellent work, as usual, Pirvan

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

16 (edited by pirvan 2016-07-23 12:46:17)

This model has other issues too.  Even though NetFabb says it's OK, it's not OK as a printable model.  There are dis-contiguous faces, and areas that simply have bad structures.  Just for fun I tried slicing the model with both Cura and Slic3r.  For clarity sake, I omitted the supports.

Take a look at the image below.  Cura, couldn't even slice the model correctly, because the lines would be thinner than the minimum extrusion thickness. 

Slic3r on the other hand, did manage to lay a single path down, but some of the paths are broken and would create free floating pieces.  In the circled areas you can see gaps, especially between the windows and doors, there are bad surfaces near the corners, where the side markers would be, the mirrors don't slice, the ladder on the back is missing the vertical bars, but has the horizontal rungs, etc.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10029

Post's attachments

too thin slice.jpg
too thin slice.jpg 372.42 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

17 (edited by heartless 2016-07-23 18:12:11)

Seems pretty obvious to me that there are some major problems with that model - and not the slicing software... hmm

One would think that if you keep having the same errors with different versions of a software one might actually consider the model as the source of the problem, not the software.  Or at least investigate the possibility a little more.

Just because something is manifold does not mean it is suitable for 3d printing.

but hey, I am not an "expert" by any means...

18 (edited by n2ri 2016-07-23 21:14:50)

I knew it was based on something in these models that slicers did not see nor Netfab and other repair apps.
but the shot posted of Cura leaving holes near windows etc was not how Cura sliced for me but rather how Slic3r did. also Slic3r would not make support under model like normal and if forced to, it added support where nothing needed supporting, which has nothing to do with hollow model. I have sliced hollow models lots of times with fine results. have also used Mesh mixer to either thicken walls or make models solid or make the hollow models with interior details open by cutting window out which can eliminate support inside but not under models.

so while Pirvan done a great job here, several issues are still UN-explained as to why Slic3r finishes slicing without errors listed yet support etc are omitted. that is very UN-acceptable performance for even use by experienced 3D modelers.

and also brings apps like Netfab into question as to their performance/abilities if they think a model has no errors when it still has many. I already had issues understanding what errors are with Netfabs color coded messages just making all types of errors Red/yellow with no way to see or deal with each type error separately or learning what errors still need attention after repairs. now even when all is Green its in question as to if its sliceable/printable.

I want to correct this behavior in these repair aids once and for all, instead of just skipping half the issues or updating apps that still havnt fixed their bugs.

how can we expect new people to our 'hobby' to learn to turn it into a viable industry when we give them broken tools and copies of broken tools to do so? we must deal with all these "minor" errors in all repair related software until they are history before expecting to 'move forward'. either files are fixed completely are they cant be and need deleted and redesign new file and remove any that fail such tests from sites like Thingiverse. instead of running new comers off thinking thats the best they can expect or its their fault and not the designers or tools used to double check files.

also the thicker perimeters your printer makes as thinnest capable the more holes there will be in Gcode since it cant print that thin. and 1mm thin walls are useless as model anyhow. but if repair apps nor slicers dont see or show this and why its so, how can we know what needs done to fix it?

n2ri wrote:

I knew it was based on something in these models that slicers did not see nor Netfab and other repair apps.

You "knew" there was most likely a problem with the model, yet you slam the slicing and/or repair software as the root cause of all your problems?
That makes absolutely NO sense what so ever to me. roll

I am sorry, but it seems to me that you tend to go off half-cocked over things with very little provocation. You did something very similar over the windows 10 update thing not that long ago.

and also brings apps like Netfab into question as to their performance/abilities if they think a model has no errors when it still has many. I already had issues understanding what errors are with Netfabs color coded messages just making all types of errors Red/yellow with no way to see or deal with each type error separately or learning what errors still need attention after repairs. now even when all is Green its in question as to if its sliceable/printable.

I want to correct this behavior in these repair aids once and for all, instead of just skipping half the issues or updating apps that still havnt fixed their bugs.

to start, Netfabb is spelled with two b's, not one.

As for what the different colors mean? easy - click on "Settings" in the menu bar, then "settings" again in the drop-down menu. About halfway down the window that opens is a "Colors" listing (it is under "General" settings if the menu tree is not open already), click the little + sign and it opens and lists all the various aspects and the color associated with it - you can even change the colors to something you like better by double clicking on them.

Perhaps you should address your concerns with the program and it's shortcomings to the authors of said program? Posting "alarmist" threads such as this one does nothing to help improve anything. (and the title of this thread is exactly that - alarmist)

how can we expect new people to our 'hobby' to learn to turn it into a viable industry when we give them broken tools and copies of broken tools to do so? we must deal with all these "minor" errors in all repair related software until they are history before expecting to 'move forward'. either files are fixed completely are they cant be and need deleted and redesign new file and remove any that fail such tests from sites like Thingiverse. instead of running new comers off thinking thats the best they can expect or its their fault and not the designers or tools used to double check files.

See my comment above regarding contacting the authors of the program(s)...

As for new people being "run off" because of a few setbacks and/or crappy models? To me, those that are that easily discouraged don't really belong in the industry to begin with.

The people that really want to change and/or improve the industry will make an effort to do so in one way or another, with things like innovation and ingenuity. New programming, circuitry, hardware, software, and yes, even better models themselves. Not alarmist threads claiming bugs in software that aren't really even there...

Well thought out and well written tutorials/instructions are also a way to improve things.

For me, as a beginner a year & a half ago, trying to find solid, useful information that I could actually understand was like trying to find a needle in a haystack - it is so scattered or written with assumptions of the reader knowing what the author is talking about when, more often than not, a "beginner" most likely doesn't have a clue.

21 (edited by n2ri 2016-07-24 19:12:51)

I said the apps dont see many of these errors nor do they let user know why commands or errors did not get done or why app failed to slice/repair. it does not mean model is the reason for said failures just because app did not see/fix/report them. your taking it out of context.

and as for " address your concerns with the program and it's shortcomings to the authors of said program" I tried that but never get reply likely due to being free apps. or in the case of Skeinforge there is nobody to contact and hasnt been for at least over 2 years. thats why most dont use it like myself.

and statements like this "As for new people being "run off" because of a few setbacks and/or crappy models? To me, those that are that easily discouraged don't really belong in the industry to begin with. " is why 3D printing will NEVER be user friendly/plug N play as many printer makers try to sell it. also why your last comment of troubles faced by yourself at the beginning.

We (users like on this forum) are not responsible for apps made/sold by makers of said apps that have short comings, as to files with errors on depository sites those are the responsibility of designers of said files if they will take that responsibility (not likely).or moderators of said sites to delete bad files so others dont waste time with them.

as to Win10, thats another issue that has lots of documentation online to support my posts and my position on it and MS. there are many thousands of people that feel the same or worse about it after trying it. its a very bad security risk to say the least.

not going off half cocked, I been working on these issues and researching the route causes for a couple of years and this topic is my conclusion of those findings. and I still dont see anything to explain it or prove my conclusions wrong. these apps are supposed to do the job intended and they have short comings in several areas of this. seems I am one of the few to discover them and say so. its not unreasonable to ask the makers of these apps to correct them to do as designed. even if just telling user "file is damaged or improperly designed beyond repair/use". instead of pretending to repair/slice and give an UN-useable file or Gcode to waste our time and material on.

22 (edited by n2ri 2016-07-24 19:24:22)

the title of this thread simply states the fact that even after several years and updated versions these issues/bugs still exist in each version as if they never found them. each new version dumbs down the process yet they dont truly address issues less knowledgeable users face nor do they keep features experienced users like. so why change anything if nobody gets improvements wanted? even competitors do this to the point we are limited by what the app can or cant do sufficiently for all printers.

also this is the largest active 3D printing forum online (navigable) and any company in the industry watches its users posts. and my past experience with business economics/sales/marketing etc has shown both the old adages still holds true "the customers always right" and "the squeaky wheel gets the lube". I think this is the quickest way to get issues corrected.

as for misspelled company names, not a big deal long as readers know what your talking about, and less chance of any lawsuits also;^) besides spell check dont catch names.

n2ri wrote:

the title of this thread simply states the fact that even after several years and updated versions these issues/bugs still exist in each version as if they never found them. each new version dumbs down the process yet they dont truly address issues less knowledgeable users face nor do they keep features experienced users like. so why change anything if nobody gets improvements wanted? even competitors do this to the point we are limited by what the app can or cant do sufficiently for all printers.

There's old adage among programmers that says that the day a program is bug free, it's the day it's obsolete.  There's no such thing as a bug free program, and complex programs such as Slic3r or Cura do an excellent job of making printable code out of "questionable" models.

The problem you have has nothing to do with Slic3r or Cura or NetFabb.  The problem is with the model.  Not because it's "defective", but because it's not printable.  The reason it's not printable is because it was most likely designed to be printed at a larger scale.

You are getting yourself very frustrated trying to print very small models, using a printing technology that's simply not meant for that type of work.  Then you download models with fine details, scale them down, and expect them to print, and when they don't you get frustrated and blame everything, except ... your common sense.

I would expect that by now you're aware of the capabilities of your printer.  So it should come to no surprise that some of these models will simply fail when scaled down to such small sizes, that your printer cannot resolve their features.

NetFabb did not find any problems because there were technically no problems.  It has no way of knowing what you plan to do with the model, it has no idea you're trying to print it at a scale the printer is not capable of printing, so as far as Netfabb is concerned, the model was fine.

The you brought it into RH, and sliced it with Slic3r.  I don't know what your settings are, or what your printer setup is like, but Slic3r did the best it could.  It even ignored the minimum line width (0.42 or 0.48mm), and created a path.  But there are details that were simply too small even for it, so they were ignored.

So it's not a problem with Slic3r either, it did the best with what it was given (another adage, GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out).

This is where your common sense should kick in.  These models are too small for your printer to produce a good print.

To prove there's nothing wrong with Slic3r, enlarge the model 3x, then take a look at the code.  Below is an image of the model sliced @ x3 scale.  You can see that all the details are there, including the ladder.  The yellow represents the support.  As you can see, it supports the bottom of the van, the mirrors, the wheel arches and the ladder.

BTW, this is the original model, with the inner shell removed, to make it solid, but didn't do anything else.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10031

Post's attachments

too thin larger scale.jpg
too thin larger scale.jpg 665.22 kb, file has never been downloaded.