Topic: how do I

well I got replacement driver files for my printer from the supplier of the kit. They have been very good to deal with except the Chinese language problem. I asked but they were just too hard to understand when I needed to know how to put the files into the printer. I'm a bit long in the tooth so I need some help. I just don't know how to put the files (firmware) into the printer and am worried I will brick it. My google fu is weak so I am not finding the solution there so please advise how to do this.
Pete (totally confused)

Re: how do I

First we need to know what kind of printer you have and what kind of board it has. What host software are you using. Pictures of the board will also help.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by Pete49 2016-07-19 13:54:23)

yes it was a bit terse. Its a generic copy of the prusa I3 apparently the kit version of ctc and its a gt2560 board using marlin. I think the greeetec is similar. I'm a bit lost as to how it all works as my old brain is having trouble absorbing it. I replaced the old board as it stopped working, I think the mosfets got zapped. The new board works well but has no screen support and I have no idea how to add it so asked the guys I got the printer from (eBay) for the firmware files and have them just can't work out how to get them onto the board.
Pete

(totally confused)

Not a problem Go to the arduino  Page and download and install the arduino software. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Probably should make sure you allow it to install the 2560 driver.  then copy the firmware file to where you are keeping arduino files or make a file folder. Open your firmware file with arduino then upload it to you board . Should be easy just make sure your board is not connected to your host program or you will have issues.
If you need to edit or tweak the firmware do it in arduino save under a revised name then reload.
IMHO open the cofig .h file this is where your settings are view and review to get an understanding of the correct settings and have an idea of what may need changing.

Hope this helps

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Not to confuse him more but the current version of Arduino is not compatible with the old LCD's that printers use. He will need version 1.5.5r2. He may also need an additional library for LCD support.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

He should be fine with 1.6.7
that is what I have and used to set up my FT prusa I3 2020.
Looks current version 1.6.9
tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

7 (edited by Pete49 2016-07-20 03:51:11)

Thanks guys I will have a go later today and hopefully report back a success story....or be crying my eyes out  lol
Oh where do I find the config.h file?
Pete

A caveat  my lcd does flicker when printing from the computer  but not when printing from the sd card .
I wonder this could be a minor issue with the newer firmware/arduino.
That said i have made quite a few prints with my prusa both off e sd card and the computer.
Tin