Topic: Another Newbie

Hello To All

I am a total newbie to 3d printing. I play at making model steam and stationary engines and I have a modest shop with two milling machines and two lathes. I play with r/c stuff ... sail boats and scale electric boats.

I need to keep my mind going and to this end I want to learn 3d cad and also learn to use a 3d printer.

I have 1.7 million questions.

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

Re: Another Newbie

Welcome aboard Tom, lots of very knowledgeable and helpful folks here so ask away.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Welcome!
you have 1.7 million questions - the great people here should have 1.7 million answers (or more, lol)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thanks for the welcome.

Question #1 ... I am considering pulling the trigger on this machine. It has an all metal frame, seems to be open source and adaptable as far as heat, speed, and filament is concerned.

A bit more than some starters, but this is Canada and we get used to paying a bit more for technology. Also, I don't want to be looking at upgrades in two weeks if I don't need to.

From what I can see, this would keep me well occupied for a while.

http://spool3d.ca/wanhao-duplicator-i3-plus/

Tom

Tom Welcome to the forum .
I have not seen that Itineration of the prusa before but looks like it will do what yo want it to . It has a layer fan as well as a cooling fan for the Hot end  has the mark 10 (latest os hotend extruder) Should do well with PLA, specc say it will do nylon  this is great if you want to or need to print gears.  this free software will generate a file to print gears http://gears-3d-printer.en.softonic.com/

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thanks Tin. I grabbed that gear file as that is one of the projects I would like to try to print.

Tom

Well, for better or worse, a machine is on it's way to me on Monday. I got some PLA and a length of spare belt as well.

Tom

Congratulations on your first machine. Now you are required to do a review thread when you get it LOL.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

I will try to do that. It will be interesting since I have never touched any 3d printer, to see how long it takes and what kind of hoops and hurdles I have to go through to get it going.

It is all going to be a very steep learning curve for sure, and I am both excited and scared to death. My 70 year old brain does not work quite like it used to and I am hoping that some of the grey matter still functions.

I did some calculations and this one only cost about $125.00 more than the kit one, since there was free shipping (Normally $65.00 from the West).

Tom

with a pre built unit hopefully you will just need to verify the calibration.
your first task will be to make sure the proper driver is in your computer.
then connect with host  software  . once you have communications verify that the motors move and then make sure the heat.
I would hope the unit comes with configurations that will get you started.
I prefer to print on glass so you may want to pick up a piece of glass plate a box of binder clips and a can of aquanet or equivalent hair spray. the hair spray helps the plastic stick to the glass. 
You will need to level the bed and make sure the nozzle is about the thickness of a piece of paper off the build late use a feeler gage if you have one. then heat the extruder and run about  50mm of plastic through mark the plastic so you can measure how much comes though. The adjust the extruder steps if needed.  The seller should be able to provide setup documentation to follow.
once the extruder and bed are set run a test print of a 20 mm cube and measure it.
No need to be scared  a lot less to go wrong with  a 3D printer than a cnc router that can destroy itself if you tell it to.
Take one step at a time  ask questions . we will help you.

Tin

Thanks Tin

I understand everything but the binder clips ... don't know what they are.

Thank You for the step by step ... I will print that out.

Tom

Binder clips
http://soliforum.com/i/?8kx1Oxr.jpg

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

well fancy meeting you here Tom. Enjoy and ask away there are some very clever people here. I wonder if Chuck will be here soon as well
Pete

Hi Pete ... I can run but I can't hide I see. Good job I didn't go on about Z's cookies!

I will have many questions, I'm sure. I went to the local library yesterday and got all the books they have on 3d printing. The librarian said I should be careful that my head doesn't explode!

Tom