Topic: No output from filastruder

Hi folks,

I'm not getting output from my filastruder anymore. I checked to be sure that the pellets are feeding correctly....they are.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks!

Re: No output from filastruder

Do you have a melt filter?  If so, I'd check to see that it is not full of debris.

-os3dp

I do not have a melt filter. My filastruder did not come with one. Is that a required part?

A Melt filter is NOT required.  It can help get rid of contaminates in your final filament and when full of contaminates will stop extruding.

What were you doing just prior to it stopping?

Do you have any colors added?

What type of pellets are you using?

-os3dp

PA 747, no colorant.

It was extruding as normal prior to stopping, nothing unusual as far as I can tell.

Should I try taking the end cap off? You heat it up to take it off and to put it back on, correct?

Also thank you!!

What version do you have?
If you have a stall protection board on the unit, you may need to tweak it a hair.
Other than that, it sounds like the thrust bearing isn't properly compressed.

If it is debris (and even if it isn't), you can remove the nozzle and either:
1) Soak it in acetone overnight then thrust a 1.5mm hex wrench through to clear any possible plastic or obstruction.
2) Hit is with a torch for a few minutes then attempt a similar clearing process. However, I never recommend other users to use the torch as bad things can happen; getting burned is the most prominent concern.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

8 (edited by genesat1 2016-07-15 02:09:18)

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they sell a heat gun for under $20 that is dual mode - personally I think those are a little bit safer than blowtorches (I'm a little bit clumsy at times), and at 1500 watts it certainly can soften up any plastic in the nozzle enough that you should be able to push it out if needed.  Try the lower setting first, and if you can't run a small wire through the hole then try the higher setting.

Also, if you have it vertical you might try switching it to horizontal momentarily.  Just to really be sure the pellets are feeding in right (since you can use the soda bottle threaded hopper, leave the soda bottle off, and just dump pellets directly in and watch them fall into the augur)

Good advice so far. Occasionally plastic will stick to the auger and form a plug that rotates with the auger instead of sliding out.

How many hours do you have so far on it?

Hi folks,

Sorry got a bit busy at work there for a bit! Not sure what version I have, but there is no stall protection. It's at least two years old.

Hmmm, not sure how many hours I have on it. I've probably made 40 1kg spools or so.

I got the nozzle off and will be unclogging as instructed. However I am a little concerned about what the inside looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/Nz3SsxJ.jpg

Here is my theory: there isn't enough flow around the sides of the pipe, and over time the plastic has hardened around those areas.

If this is the case, how do I resolve that? I have no issues with removing the pipe and auger and soaking in acetone and such, but what's the correct procedure for such an operation? Should it be hot or cold when attempting that?

I'm going to try simply clearing the nozzle first and see if that does the trick. Otherwise I might need some assistance with cleaning out the pipe.

Thanks!

Welp. The end of the auger shaft is broken. So the motor turns, but the auger doesn't. I never ran the thing cold so not sure how this happened.

I'm guessing I need new:
* pipe
* auger
* coupler
* nozzle (maybe)

I'm also guessing that there is no procedure for disassembling this thing completely. The auger is the only thing fried, but I'm guessing I won't be able to remove the auger from the pipe when cold, and probably too dangerous to do when hot.

Anyone have anything like this happen before? Can I even buy just those replacement parts? Time to email support I guess.

Also, how in the hell do you get the kapton tape to stick to the nozzle? I had to take the kapton tape off to remove the nozzle and thermistor, and now the kapton tape won't stick to it. It would be nice if there was a mechanical way to hold the thermistor in place, since I don't want to rely on quality of adhesive to keep my house from burning down, haha.

The auger is broken? That would be a first - that's ~1/2" thick hardened steel! Do you have a picture?

Are you sure it isn't a failure of one of the gears in the gearbox?

Yes, we provide replacement parts.

If Kapton isn't sticking to the nozzle, then you should probably clean the oils or whatever else off the nozzle. Acetone should work for this. Also there shouldn't be enough heater power to start a fire, I designed things with that in mind. Maximum temperature should top out somewhere around 260C.

I got my thinking backwards before I disassembled. Looks like the auger is intact, but the 7/16" socket is completely stripped.

Let me try replacing that and see if that gets me back up and running!

The nozzle has been freshly cleaned with acetone and steel wool, but the kapton tape does not feel like sticking to it. Not sure what's going on, maybe the tape itself is bad.

Ah good to know!! I hope I didn't sound rude either, just a bit stressed with the issue. The filastruder is a pretty bad ass product so thank you for your work and support of it!!

7/16" bit has been replaced.

Filament is now coming out the nozzle, although very slowly (1 inch per minute or less) and the filament has a very rough texture. The filament that used to get produced was extremely smooth.

What should I check now?

Thanks!

Just to clarify - was it the socket or the auger you replaced?

If the auger and it didn't come from Filastruder, it may not be a good match for the barrel.

Just the socket. The auger seems to be fine. The hex shaft of the auger looks a little bit stripped, but it turns fine with the new socket.

Hmm. What else changed since successful extrusion?

Rough indicates either high temperature or moisture content. Did anything change with the thermocouple, possibly?

18 (edited by foul_owl 2016-07-29 00:02:35)

The thermocouple kept falling off the nozzle, but I got it to stick. (I only started to run it once I was sure it would stick)

The filament is also a medium grey color, it used to be an off white.

The insulation was destroyed accidentally when removing, but I figure that's only for safety and to prevent heat loss. Could that be the issue? Running it without the insulation?

Why do you think the output is so slow also?

Thanks again for providing excellent support for your product! I have been very happy with it overall, I just need to work out these kinks.

Medium grey indicates over temperature too.

Slow output can be a number of things, I would recommend inspecting the thermocouple for damage. I think temperature sensing may be one of the culprits here. Eliminating that will help the troubleshooting.

The thermocouple looks ok. No physical damage is apparent.

How do I test the thermocouple? Is there a test procedure? I have a multimeter.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on how to test the thermocouple?

Thanks!

If the thermocouple looks OK, then it probably is. You could try to test it using known temperatures, like boiling water is 100C.

I'd also recommend adding the insulation back. It is not only for heat loss, it lengthens the melt zone of the barrel which results in more pressure internally.

Still having problems here.

I tried higher temperatures, and I'm at least getting output now, but it's still very very slow, and the texture of the output is rough.

Also, where can I buy replacement fiberglass? I have found it at hardware stores in sheets for like attic insulation, but nothing curved like that which is needed for the filastruder.

Thanks!

With 40kg and two years old, the best bet might be a new barrel and/or auger. It is possible there is so much internal wear to the barrel that it can no longer build pressure.

Replacement parts are available by using the contact form on the Filastruder site.

It is certainly 2 years old, but keep in mind it has only run for a total of 320 hours. (8hr/kg*40kg)

This is the same as running for 2 weeks straight.

Are you telling me the expected lifespan of the product is only 320 hours? o_O

Thanks!