1 (edited by AZERATE 2016-07-12 11:06:57)

Topic: [ABS-MG94] Powder colorant - Red

I recently got my package from OS3DP.com  which included pretty much much all the powdered colorants they offer. But for now, I will cover the red powder and base any other powder reviews off of this.

Extruder:
Mostly stock Filastruder v1.6 vertical extrusion with full barrel insulation, header wrap, melt filter, Filawinder
http://i.imgur.com/5yJrPZ9.jpg

Extrusion:
Temp: 189c
Rate: 6-9" per minute
Average diameter: 1.73 +/-.02mm

Printer:
Solidoodle 2, E3D Titan extruder, E3D v6, E3D Volcano w/.6mm nozzle, direct Y drive, Lawsy carriages, DRV8825 driver on E,  mirror and Aqua Net.

Mixing:
2g of powder per 500g of virgin MG94 is recommended, so I went with about 450g virgin/2g powder. The powders contain a few pellets which aid in bonding the powder to the virgin pellets, so keep them in there and let them fall as they may into the batch. If you do small batches at a time, try not to let them all fall in at once.
http://i.imgur.com/V9uR5XK.jpg

Next, pour it into a glass jar. A cleaned out pasta sauce jar will work just fine for this. Once dumping it all in, I was still a tad skeptical on the end result as I am used to masterbatch, but I was willing to make the plunge.
http://i.imgur.com/ls07mwz.jpg

Close the lid and shake the jar. The longer you shake, the better the powder bonds and evenly distributes itself among the virgin pellets. I believe I shook for 20 minutes while singing along to Mary Poppins with my daughter. Don't we all lose track of time while singing with Julie Andrews?
http://i.imgur.com/e25IGt0.jpg

The pellets seemed extrusion ready after 10 minutes or so, but I always get sucked into Dick Van Dyke's rendition of "Stepping Time".

Back on a non-Disney related topic, the color was extrordinarily true to its description. It came out a touch too light for me as I like very bold colors, so maybe a touch more powder next time.
http://i.imgur.com/WoepIxU.jpg

Printing:
The rear bearing holder for Lawy's carriages is pictured. It came out a little too light for my taste as it looks a little more strawberry, so maybe about .2g more powder next time. Nonetheless, it looks great.
http://i.imgur.com/rHh1qmz.jpg

Printed .2963mm height
2 perimeters, 100% infill
232c for extruder, 97c for bed

Comparison to available filament:
I've bought red ABS and PLA from Octave and Makerbot, and this really printed more like Makerbot filament. I'm unsure of the polymer they use, but it behaved a little more like the MB red PLA as it lost a little bit of gloss and an ever so slight amount of color while printing. The Octave red of course acted more like ABS and requiring the same settings as the home extruded red powder MG94. This extruded material and color consistency is as pleasing as other filament I've bought before getting into home extrusion.

Takeaway and comments:
First of all, hats off to Jonathan from OS3DP for top-tier customer service! He responded quickly to any of my questions and we even talked over text and phone call as well as email, which is almost unheard of with internet-based companies.
When using masterbatch, I either had color banding or slow extrusion. For some print jobs, the banding was unacceptable, so the powders sounded like a good solution. As I extruded, I noticed a drop in production speed until I fire/acetone cleaned my nozzle and filter. I am purging the red to test other colors and I am confident in using the red powder at around 1% or less per 500g to yield a reliable pink as this completely demolished color banding. This would be a cool experiment with mixing ratios.
http://i.imgur.com/NBiTeBi.jpg

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Re: [ABS-MG94] Powder colorant - Red

Good review - I'm waiting for him to add the new colors (save on shipping by ordering a lot at the same time), but I am glad To hear that you had no color banding with it.

genesat1 wrote:

Good review - I'm waiting for him to add the new colors (save on shipping by ordering a lot at the same time), but I am glad To hear that you had no color banding with it.

You'll love the powders, I'm sure! I noticed last night that the new colors are now available, though the pictures haven't been added (at least in my browser).

I would like to add a couple other notes since the is the first powder based colorant review on Soliforum.
*These powders can be used for PLA, ABS, HIPS, PC, and Nylon.
*Be careful with the powders as they will stain anything they touch. In my case, "She Who Makes Me Sandwiches" was mad when she saw the sink. But a little dish soap/diluted bleach and elbow grease gets it all out just fine, even days after sitting. The hardest part of cleaning is on your fingertips.
*If you have less color in the pellets (clear), then you get transparent colors.

The latter is a very interesting fact as I have tried many spools of PLA, and nearly all but Makerbot are transparent.....just an observation.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Nice work!

I got my order in for one of every color (enough to color 45 pounds of plastic, that should last awhile).

One thing I was wondering - could you try mixing two colors and seeing the results?  Eg, if you mix this red with the blue do you get purple?  When it comes to plastic one thing I've learned is don't assume colors work like you'd expect and sometimes to get say orange, you have to find something that actually is orange already instead of just adding a bit of red and yellow.

genesat1 wrote:

I got my order in for one of every color (enough to color 45 pounds of plastic, that should last awhile).

One thing I was wondering - could you try mixing two colors and seeing the results?  Eg, if you mix this red with the blue do you get purple?  When it comes to plastic one thing I've learned is don't assume colors work like you'd expect and sometimes to get say orange, you have to find something that actually is orange already instead of just adding a bit of red and yellow.

I have tried to make orange before I had that color (it mostly worked) and also tried to make purple but it seems like I had too much blue for the purple so it turned out a deeper blue.  You can mix colors, but with the amounts that we usually mix, it becomes interesting.  Mix the color BEFORE adding the pellets.

-os3dp

7 (edited by ttabbal 2016-11-26 20:26:16)

I'm trying to use the powders and ran into a problem. The extrusion stopped completely. I thought it was a filter issue, so I fire cleaned everything with the filastruder disassembled. Ran plain pellets fine, then added some with red. Slowed then stopped completely. Any idea what I might try?

ugh... Think I got it. I tried again with the same pellets. The colorant is just sticky enough that the pellets don't feed reliably anymore. I need to throw together a vibration motor for the feed tube to keep things flowing.

I've noticed that if you don't mix long enough, you get a drop in extrusion. Imagine dropping say 100 pellets directly into the auger, then drop 1g of straight powder...once it hits the hot end, it will significantly slow and cause a backup.

The duration in which you mix powders is key to efficiency. Check my post on mixing powders with a drill if you have not already done so.

How easily is it to switch from one color to another without cleaning the Filastruder ?

Pretty easy! I usually use anywhere from 50g-100g of virgin pellets before switching colors.
If you use 20-40g while making a roll you can get a insistent multi colored roll.

The powder will stick to the auger but rub off over time, yet I have not noticed it to contaminate natural colored filament.

11 (edited by ttabbal 2016-11-28 01:48:28)

I managed to extrude a batch nicely. I switched to horizontal to correct the feed problem, and with the winder managed 2.75mm +/- 0.06... That'll do fine.

As an experiment, I ran a small batch (8oz) of Yellow after the red. I ended up with a nice light orange color as a result. I knew going into it that would likely happen, so it's all good. Need to run some natural through to clean it out and try to get normal yellow this time. It was also partly due to re-using the same mixing jar without any real cleaning between. It collected more red powder than I expected when I did that. Again, not really a bad thing, just something to be aware of. I think I'm going to use ziplocks for the mixing, cheap and easy to just use one per color. I have one of those paint mixing blades, all metal. If you have a good way to clean up the powder it might be worth trying that way as well. Rinsing the glass jar with water did not remove all of the pigment, soap didn't help much either. I was too lazy to go look for acetone etc....

A couple posts up I linked to a thread on how I'm using an empty paint can with a mixing bit instead of shaking....I highly recommend considering this approach!
Some powder colorants (red included) stain more and are harder to get clean. To clean the red for the jar, I dropped in some Dawn and filled it with hot water about 1/3 of the way then shook. This got most colorant out, so I used some paper towels to wipe down the inside. While it didn't completely get rid of the staining, I used some virgin pellets and shook in an attempt to create contamination, but the virgin pellets did not seem to have been colored in any visible way.

Water and a little elbow grease will clean it out as long as you don't let it sit for too long. Add a touch of soap if the staining is significant or it sat for awhile. I start cleaning once I dump the pellets into the hopper.

I can see how the paint can would be easier to clean. I'll have to give it a go. Using plain pellets to clear the color out worked out great.