Topic: SD3 help...please...

Hello everyone. I Have a Stock SD3 the only upgrades and changes Ive made are the Power supply upgrade, added the glass plate, made the encloser,  and printed all the parts that i need to do the linear 8mm bearing carriage upgrades, & some basic Calibration(circles aren't oval) and extruding 100mms is accurate. everything i was working on had been put on hold since Late 2014. I Have the E3D V6 assembled, just waiting to be put to use. As of now the only thing i am missing is ordering replacement 8mm SS rods, so i am able to remove the OEM Setup and a whole unit.  from my understanding after i get the 8mm rods and red and blue wire connectors its just plug/tune PID settings & change the Speeds and Feeds? Correct? What i have not found out is what plugs into what. when doing upgrading the Hotend. Can someone Please Pm pictures or a install video if there is one for Carriage swap and Hotend Change...I know i am WAY BEHIDE everyone else...I am sorry to bring back old memories lol...Hope i am not asking to much...Thank in advance as always...

"SD3" 5/02/13 03943, RAMPS 1.6+, Enclosed,  360W12V30A PSU, E3DV6(new model), Nema17 .9 (E)  Over kill Y brackets, Y drive Bearings, Y-Direct Drive, Hale bed heater on 3/16 aluminum, Lawsy Carriage upgrade, gt2 20T Pulleys.

2 (edited by AZERATE 2016-07-10 04:30:44)

Re: SD3 help...please...

When upgrading to the E3D v6, you will not need terminals depending on your board. If you are running the stock Sang or Printrboard, you just need to cut the wires 6" or so away from the plug to the board, then solder and heatshrink the heater wires...polarity will not matter. However, the thermistor wires should have come with a 2 pin female plug, so no soldering is required here, and once again, polarity does not matter.

In terms of your board, it is crucial to verify which type you have for the firmware.
Slicer changes or remarkably simple, usually nozzle diameter, retraction, and speed are all that need a quick lookover. When upgrading from the PEEK to E3D, you will find a wavy pattern we call moire. This can be combated many ways, but the first line of defense is by adjusting your E VREF.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

do not use the red & blue plugs up near the hotend - pull those out of the harness and forget about them - they are a source of potential failure.

Use the wiring that came with your E3D as far back to the board as possible (should be more than enough for an SD3).
As AZERATE noted, simply cut the stock board end of the old heater wiring about 6 inches long and attach the new E3D heater wiring to it to plug into the board.
The thermistor should plug in with no additional work needed.

Firmware will need to be updated with the new thermistor table, and max temp adjusted, then flashed to the board for the E3D to work properly. How to flash will be decided by what controller board you have.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thank you Both again, this is a true and huge learning curve for me. I ordered replacement 8mmx330mm X rods Yesterday, I dont want to destroy the OEM carriages. And my only concern is cutting the wires coming from the (SANG REV 1.3a as stated on board (SD REV 1.3C sticker)<--on memory chip) and not having the ability to easily return to OEM setup if something Fails or what not. (am i over thinking this) However I have Seen Lawsy upgrade prints are available now in days if i have any problems...I Suppose i can also just rewire & splice the old if i need too. I'll answer my own next question (Where do the new wires plug into on the board. (ill find out when i unwire the Old HUH;)...)   the thermistor wires did come with 2pin plug(I was real worried not to damage it while wiring that fragile thing)...

"SD3" 5/02/13 03943, RAMPS 1.6+, Enclosed,  360W12V30A PSU, E3DV6(new model), Nema17 .9 (E)  Over kill Y brackets, Y drive Bearings, Y-Direct Drive, Hale bed heater on 3/16 aluminum, Lawsy Carriage upgrade, gt2 20T Pulleys.

It finally happened the epic stock hot end clog from hell...leaving me no choice other then disassemble everything...Hope my replacement 8mm x rods get here soon so i can reassemble, tune and start printing again...so here goes nothing...Hoping for nothing but success...

it will be fine, there are plenty of folks here that have been in your shoes before and can help you with any issues you may run into.

note my signature (two SD4s - both upgraded) the SD4 is pretty much the same as the SD3 but came with side panels stock. Both of mine have been pretty much completely rebuilt - there is very little "stock" left in these machines aside from the cases and motors, and I am not the first, or only one to have done this wink

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Heartless, thank you for the reassurance of rebuilding my SD3. Project is on hold until the mail arrives tomorrow. I will know more too, once i start reassembling everything. My biggest worry is the replacement X&Y carriages that i had printed with a stock machine. I will post progress update tomorrow. Once the machine is reassembled i imagine the first step would be to slide carriages by hand to insure there are not any binding issues. Then, connect and have it move under its own power...Is there a link to after reassembly and start up procedure list.?

I am having a real rough time with this rebuild...i was just about done until it came down to reassembling the parts to the extruder...all i needed was two M3-.5X30 screws...unfortunately home depot only had 20mm lengths...hope ace is the place tomorrow...Hope all goes well after its fully reassembled...

If you have an hobby shop that deals in RC stuff nearby, you may have some luck there if you cant find what you are looking for at the hardware store. They usually have a pretty good selection of metric screws

otherwise, online is the way to go but it does mean waiting for shipment...
Printit Industries has metric hardware, http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … l-hardware

I found the screws...i have every thing back together...now i need to?flash new firmware or can i run A m303 S280 for e3d v6? and i hope i dont have any more problems... im feeling i may have taken on a bigger project then i may have been ready for...i really want to learn how to maintain and tune my own printer  by asking everyone the right questions...it would be cool if someone close by was able to hang out none of my "friends" are into this field of "hobby"

It always feels like a big project until you've done it. Through preventative maintenance and tweaking, you will find the second rebuild (should you ever have to do one) will be much easier and quicker. I've done the upgrades to 5 machines, and it keeps getting easier.

If you have not yet updated the firmware for the E3D, you must do so. This is not an option!! If you do not, you will experience very odd behavior and will not be able to replicate results for very long, especially with long prints.
Upgrading to the Lawsy carriages will need no updates aside from recalibration and belt tension checks.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I pretty sure i made the right changes to firmware change temp_senor 0 1 to 5 and change the max_temp to 310...seems to upload...when i open repetier the extruder temp is reading 738.5 before i even turn it on, i get a high temp warning and it says to fix the problem and restart with M999...change printer setting in repetier, gave the M999 code, still didnt reset exturder temp...what am i do so wrong:(??

sounds like short in the thermisitor. check the wire insulation

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

YEP SURE WAS... i unscrewed the thermistor it hung there by one wire and the other some how got severed...must have happened when assembling it...NOW I am REAL upset with myself...:( I live in PA is there someone close by i could bring my printer or ship to that would be willing to help...i might need more then just a new themistor...this is really bothersome now:( i thought i would have been a good idea to learn how to assemble the hot end too and not order it done...(FAIL) Also, noticed the fan is pulling air away rather then pushing air over the (guess i could turn it around?) OH SO BUMMED...

I was Really looking forward to the educational part of rebuilding/upgrading this printer, until i just failed...:(

order some new thermisistors and replace it. its a simple job. not a bad idea to have a few extra on hand. they do wear out occasionally.

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

I will be placing a order for new thermistor other needs from www.filastruder.com . I made one heck of a hack job:( And learned how not to do it = more money...also  had not imagined it turning into such a nightmare...i hope i can start printing again soon...

hammade90 wrote:

I will be placing a order for new thermistor other needs from www.filastruder.com . I made one heck of a hack job:( And learned how not to do it = more money...also  had not imagined it turning into such a nightmare...i hope i can start printing again soon...

Welcome to the world of open source 3d printing.

Yes, it can be quite frustrating at times, but patience and perseverance can, and will, pay off in the long run.

Take your time with installing the new thermistor, triple check everything as you go, and you will be fine.
read through the instructions again, paying special attention to the thermistor section:
http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly

for the fan, it is simply a matter of unscrewing, flipping it over, screwing it back on. easy fix.

don't get frustrated and give up, if you are frustrated and/or tense, walk away for a while and come back to it when you are calm and relaxed. it isn't going anywhere and it wont feel bad if you leave it for a bit. wink

@heartless Thank You for your recurring reassurances. I will most certainly reread the thermistor install intructshions when the new one gets here...

I just upgraded to new Cartridge Style Upgrade for e3d v6, cant find the firmware settings for this...can someone link me to right spot please, open repetier and says fix errors, temperature is reset, Min_temp reached...

21 (edited by heartless 2016-07-22 13:19:05)

Min temp errors usually indicate a wiring issue...

Cartridge Style Upgrade for e3d v6

i am assuming you are referring to the new cartridge type thermistor here?
It is possible that there is a problem with it - make sure the wires are fully insulated (no exposed wires touching metal) and nothing is shorting out, and also that it is fully connected to the board.

for the adjustments needed in the firmware, please see the E3D assembly guide: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_ … Easy.21.29

22 (edited by hammade90 2016-08-02 05:23:13)

I got the printer up and going again, FINALLY! Lawsy 8mm linear bearing Carriage upgrade(Check) E3D V6 with the upgraded cartridge type thermistor(Check) Special Thank you To the Folks@filastruder!http://soliforum.com/i/?NinLChn.jpg(received my replacement fan & Fan Shroud today) i need QC to help me dial in some numbers now:)http://soliforum.com/i/?2bI6o1F.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?SQWcaJI.jpg 

I am using repetier, running the e3dv6 with the .4 nozzel. What are some new speeds & feeds to run at, that will get me dialed in closer. Another question i have is how do i calulate the difference from the dimention the part is blueprinted at as to what is being printed?  Maybe a cheat sheet on some SD3 Gcode would be a huge help too. 

THANK YOU ALL WHO HAVE BEEN OF HELP THUS FAR, & got me to the stage I am at now.

before you go making other changes, you need to re-calibrate your feed and flow rates to make sure they are correct.

start here:
http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fil … ion-part-1

then here:
http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-fl … coming-out

Once you have those complete, and correct, you should find that things are much, much closer dimensionally, and your prints will be smoother as well.

Thank you for those two links heartless, Not so difficult once you have the know how. My wall thickness started at .68 now its hitting .48+.02-.01. 100mm Extrude was about spot on from before rebuild. Now what?

now print something of a known size and measure to see where you are.

I prefer to do something a bit larger on the X & Y axis as sometimes small discrepancies dont show up on small pieces...

the attached is one of my test designs - it has multiple sizes to verify... the larger base is 75mm square, the upper level is 50mm square and the center hole is 25mm square. The steps are 5mm each (total height should be 10mm)

print it out, and mark X (left/right) and Y (front/back) directions before you remove it from the bed. then measure with your calipers.
It should fall within 0.5mm in any given direction

Post's attachments

accuracy test 75x50x25x10h.stl 238.38 kb, 5 downloads since 2016-08-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.