Topic: Where to find a Solidoodle 3 compatible motherboard

The USB port on my Solidoodle 3 had a bit of an accident, I'm not comfortable enough with my soldering skills to desolder the existing one and replace it, my brother is too busy to do it for me, and it seems Solidoodle is now out of business so I can't count on getting the replacement I ordered at the end of last year (that they kept saying would be there by the end of the week for every week since November)

My brother said I can just get any Rep Rap mobo and it will work. I've been looking at some and I'm not sure about them. The ones I've found so far it seems you have to assemble yourself. The main board and then three separately purchased boards for each axis, meaning drilling into the case of my machine to mount them, which I'm not comfortable with.

Basically I'm looking for something I can mount on the case without making any modifications to it, plug all of the cables (stepper motors, heaters, lights, etc.) back in, hook it up to my computer via USB, plug it in (preferably using the power cord I already have, which came with the gen 3 Solidoodle), and get it up and running again. Absolutely no drilling or chaining boards together required.

Is there any board I can get like that or do I just have to take the loss on my existing machine and empty out half of my bank account to get the stuff to build a new printer?

Re: Where to find a Solidoodle 3 compatible motherboard

Well your brother is correct . any of the popular  Reprap boards will do the job.
IIRC  the original board was a sang http://reprap.org/wiki/Sanguinololuand some used  printboards http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrboard
the Ramps with mega boards are very popular   the rumba is well liked the azteeg is a good board. 
IMHO the drivers used on most of these boards are a bit sensitive so having a plug in driver board is a feature I like.
My prusa has a ramps setup  works well. I had no problems with it but I do work with electronics on a daily basis.
a upgrade power supply will only run you about $30

I did a kit build for this very reason  I did not want to fear having to replace the main board on my SD4 .

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by pirvan 2016-07-02 14:11:10)

Re: Where to find a Solidoodle 3 compatible motherboard

One note here.

Whatever board you decide to get, unless you get on original Solidoodle board, you will not be able to simply plug it it and go, you'll have to flash the Solidoodle firmware in it.  Most Sanguino and Printrboards do come with a bootloader, but not with firmware, and when they do have some firmware pre-installed, it usually a generic Marlin variant.

So if you're not willing, or capable to flash the board yourself, I wouldn't get a board from the open market 'cause it would be useless to you, I'd look for one here, from someone who already upgraded their Solidoodle 3, and is willing to sell the old board.

So first, take a look at your current board, to see if it's a Sanguino, or a Printboard, then go to the BUY, SELL TRADE forum and put a wanted add there.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.