1 (edited by wiley 2016-09-15 18:42:46)

Topic: E3D Titan + V6 Direct Drive "Coyote" Carriage BETA

I printed, assembled, and set up the latest iteration of my carriage design today, and while there are a few things I'd still like to tweak, it's entirely functional. It has a few benefits:

- cool totally random name
- extruder and hotend are accessible from the front
- lots of space for assembly
- lightweight (I don't have numbers for this specific iteration - last I checked it was ~300g assembled with a pancake stepper, and it's definitely lost weight since that iteration)
- reuses factory bushings
- built-in cable chain mount (although I'm happy to revise it to have a bar at the top for zipties instead)
- good airflow through the v6 heatsink (I'm not sure how this compares to the adapter for the factory carriage as I haven't built it)

... and probably a few others I don't recall because I've been slowly iterating on this for a while now.

It's worthy of note that I don't have a layer fan design for this. It's on the list to happen at some point, but it's definitely going to be a different design iteration.

This design should be printed in ABS or similar with high infill. Mine is printed in E3D Edge with 90% infill (not 100% to reduce plastic buildup on the nozzle), and I did 90% and ABS for most of the earlier iterations. DO NOT USE PLA - IT WILL WARP OVER TIME.

Thingiverse page here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1634298
Fusion 360 design here: http://a360.co/29WxhqY

I'm putting this up now because it's become clear that the next iteration is going to take a while. I design using Autodesk Fusion 360, which represents the design as a series of operations that can be edited. This is tremendously powerful because it means I can essentially take the model backwards in time and edit some early step, then jump back forwards to see the results after later operations. It also means that if I don't design carefully, the model becomes a several-hundred-step monstrosity. That's the stage I'm at now, and I'm probably going to redesign the same part from scratch so it goes back to being something I can edit.

I haven't figured out how to get Fusion 360 to give me a public link to the source files, but I know there's a way in there somewhere. If you want to take a look and don't mind wading through the mess, feel free to ask.

Normal warnings apply: I can't promise this won't break your printer, insult your mother, or cause you to break out in a nasty rash. It works for me, though.

Re: E3D Titan + V6 Direct Drive "Coyote" Carriage BETA

It looks really nice Wiles! 

I showed it to my mom and she was insulted, though.

And i broke out in a nasty rash!

smile

Share some more pics here pls.

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

Telemachus wrote:

smile

I'll try to come up with an assembly pictorial, but it might take a few days. Last night my crappy crimping job on the thermistor connector came back to haunt me. It turns out that poor thermistor connection -> higher resistance -> lower registered temperature -> PID raises actual temperature -> burnt plastic and sadness. And unfortunately it wasn't a poor enough connection for Repetier to decide the heater had decoupled, so it kept trying to print at temperatures that were definitely above 300 degrees. I'll have to take it apart this evening and see if everything is alright. Might need a new thermistor.

I am currently using an m3 type screw in thermister.  I've used it for about 100+ hours, and it is working great.  Super easy to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Modular-Thermist … B00THZJIY8

I hear the epoxy is only good up to 270'C, so I just don't go there!

wiley wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

smile

I'll try to come up with an assembly pictorial, but it might take a few days. Last night my crappy crimping job on the thermistor connector came back to haunt me. It turns out that poor thermistor connection -> higher resistance -> lower registered temperature -> PID raises actual temperature -> burnt plastic and sadness. And unfortunately it wasn't a poor enough connection for Repetier to decide the heater had decoupled, so it kept trying to print at temperatures that were definitely above 300 degrees. I'll have to take it apart this evening and see if everything is alright. Might need a new thermistor.

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

5 (edited by scobo 2016-06-22 07:30:02)

Telemachus wrote:

I am currently using an m3 type screw in thermister.  I've used it for about 100+ hours, and it is working great.  Super easy to replace.

That certainly looks a damn sight easier to fit than the E3D thermistor !
I'll definitely be trying one of those if mine fails.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

6 (edited by Telemachus 2016-06-24 05:56:48)

scobo wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

That certainly looks a damn sight easier to fit than the E3D thermistor !
I'll definitely be trying one of those if mine fails.

I was getting decoupling, so I decided to check all of my connections.   Trying to get the original E3D thermister out, it pretty much just fell apart.  A buddy of mine gave me the M3 scew in option, and it was just a breeze to install. 

I also resoldered the dean's connectors powering the heater cartridge on the hot-end.  Not sure which one fixed my problem, but it's been working great.

Only thing I have noticed is it takes longer than it used to to get up to printing temp.  I might just need to try PID tuning, but I'm not quite sure how to do it, and I't been printing fine, so why mess with it?

7 (edited by scobo 2016-06-24 06:17:15)

The stock connector for the heater is one of the weakest parts of the davinci.
I ditched mine and soldered it permanently a while ago. Heats up much quicker now.

scobo wrote:

I ditched mine and soldered it permanently a whole ago.

When I was rewiring for the v6, I couldn't figure out what that connector was and replaced it with an XT60. Definitely overkill for the application, but it's been working well.

9 (edited by Telemachus 2016-06-24 06:59:00)

wiley wrote:
scobo wrote:

I ditched mine and soldered it permanently a whole ago.

When I was rewiring for the v6, I couldn't figure out what that connector was and replaced it with an XT60. Definitely overkill for the application, but it's been working well.

Good old Hobby King!  Doesn't sounds like an overkill at all to me.

Is this ready to print and go? I would love to try it. I bought an original Prusa MK2 and would like to use my Da Vinci as backup and to print ABS.

11 (edited by wiley 2016-07-14 07:39:34)

I put up a new iteration today that shrinks the mounting holes for the stepper/extruder assembly so they're snug around the screws and expands the left side to get a bit more rigidity. It looks a bit funny (-er?) now because I had to cut away part of the left side so you can still get the bushings out if needed, but I think it should be ready to print and go. My print quality is better than I was getting with the factory extruder and much slower speeds.

One note - don't slice it with Slic3r. I spent a week or so pulling my hair out because tolerances on my prints kept being all over the place and I could actually see walls getting pushed outward as if the printer was massively overextruding inside them. It turns out Slic3r has a lovely bug in gap fill in 1.2.9 where it's basically using a table of preset values and guesstimating which one will be best rather than actually calculating the size of the gap. This means that for specific gap widths, it will massively overestimate the gap fill volume and screw up the print. You can turn off gap fill to get around this, but doing so will structurally compromise most prints.
See https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/2960 for more. There's a fix that will be released in 1.2.10 one day, but until then I've pretty much switched to Cura (which is a shame because Slic3r is otherwise an excellent piece of software).

12 (edited by etboots 2016-07-14 23:44:51)

Awesome job Wiley. This (slightly modified for 2 hotends) works great for my Duo.

13 (edited by wiley 2016-07-14 23:50:57)

Aye, I thought that remix was interesting (although really, I just don't know much about the Duo). Glad it's working for you. Does it pretty closely match the width of the factory carriage when you just double mine like that? How did you aim your extruder cooling fans?

And why the giant shelf in back? Does the Duo have something else on the carriage that lives up there?

Wiley, are you Scottish by any chance ?
It's just that I've noticed you say "aye" a few times. big_smile

15 (edited by etboots 2016-07-19 01:12:46)

wiley wrote:

Aye, I thought that remix was interesting (although really, I just don't know much about the Duo). Glad it's working for you. Does it pretty closely match the width of the factory carriage when you just double mine like that? How did you aim your extruder cooling fans?

And why the giant shelf in back? Does the Duo have something else on the carriage that lives up there?

The shelf is for the daughter board. Its slightly longer than the stock carriage since I had to ensure space for my 1 and 1/2 Titan. I'm still testing the cooling fan directions but right now they are facing left blowing right but most likely sit on an angle like the left is in the picture.
http://soliforum.com/i/?a9GXRAF.jpg

I'm working on modifying the single-extruder design to work with a mk8-style extruder.

I think this might work printed separately, but I might try to build the parts directly into the carraige (I got the files from wiley).

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:450159

wiley wrote:

I printed, assembled, and set up the latest iteration of my carriage design today, and while there are a few things I'd still like to tweak, it's entirely functional. It has a few benefits:

- cool totally random name
- extruder and hotend are accessible from the front
- lots of space for assembly
- lightweight (I don't have numbers for this specific iteration - last I checked it was ~300g assembled with a pancake stepper, and it's definitely lost weight since that iteration)
- reuses factory bushings
- built-in cable chain mount (although I'm happy to revise it to have a bar at the top for zipties instead)
- good airflow through the v6 heatsink (I'm not sure how this compares to the adapter for the factory carriage as I haven't built it)

... and probably a few others I don't recall because I've been slowly iterating on this for a while now.

It's worthy of note that I don't have a layer fan design for this. It's on the list to happen at some point, but it's definitely going to be a different design iteration.

This design should be printed in ABS or similar with high infill. Mine is printed in E3D Edge with 90% infill (not 100% to reduce plastic buildup on the nozzle), and I did 90% and ABS for most of the earlier iterations. DO NOT USE PLA - IT WILL WARP OVER TIME.

Thingiverse page here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1634298

I'm putting this up now because it's become clear that the next iteration is going to take a while. I design using Autodesk Fusion 360, which represents the design as a series of operations that can be edited. This is tremendously powerful because it means I can essentially take the model backwards in time and edit some early step, then jump back forwards to see the results after later operations. It also means that if I don't design carefully, the model becomes a several-hundred-step monstrosity. That's the stage I'm at now, and I'm probably going to redesign the same part from scratch so it goes back to being something I can edit.

I haven't figured out how to get Fusion 360 to give me a public link to the source files, but I know there's a way in there somewhere. If you want to take a look and don't mind wading through the mess, feel free to ask.

Normal warnings apply: I can't promise this won't break your printer, insult your mother, or cause you to break out in a nasty rash. It works for me, though.

Love the design and the name!  I asked about the filament cooler and I am working on a remix of your design that will utilize upgraded bearings.  I'm thinking of lifting the left brace between the front and back rails to allow a access for a cooler from the left side.  I have currently created a clip on fan with duct that attaches to the front of the carriage, but it floats just barely over the print surface (1.5mm?) and I'm not sure I'm cooling the laid down filament (maybe just the nozzle). I found this (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1688224) and am tempted to see it it will either integrate currently into the design or see if it will fit after the fact.

I would love to get your thoughts/design feedback on filament cooling for this carriage.  Thanks!

18 (edited by wiley 2016-09-15 18:43:31)

tomasro wrote:

Love the design and the name!  I asked about the filament cooler and I am working on a remix of your design that will utilize upgraded bearings.  I'm thinking of lifting the left brace between the front and back rails to allow a access for a cooler from the left side.  I have currently created a clip on fan with duct that attaches to the front of the carriage, but it floats just barely over the print surface (1.5mm?) and I'm not sure I'm cooling the laid down filament (maybe just the nozzle). I found this (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1688224) and am tempted to see it it will either integrate currently into the design or see if it will fit after the fact.

I would love to get your thoughts/design feedback on filament cooling for this carriage.  Thanks!

Sorry, I've been neglecting this project because I started building a delta printer and I can't tear apart both printers at the same time big_smile . I'll get the Fusion 360 link posted on Thingiverse, which should make remixing simpler.

EDIT: Fusion 360 link is up on Thingiverse and in the first post.

As for the cooling fan, the problem you're going to hit is that there's <5mm of available clearance on the left side of the carriage before you start losing build volume on the positive end of the X axis. I struggled with this while designing because making the Titan face the front of the printer also means the hotend must be to the right of the center of the motor, which constrains the design pretty severely. XYZ's hotend was left of center. The right side may be a bit easier - it's pretty easy to see how much clearance you have because the optical endstop needs to access the first few mm of that flag. It's still only enough for a duct and not a fan, though.

I think you're best off working from the front, and it's worth pointing out that the front of the carriage doesn't really need to cover up the front X-axis rod like it currently does. The bearings are still the only pieces making contact with the rod - the rest of the cover really just makes printing it easier because you don't need supports and your right bearing holder can't come out wrong if the supports don't work properly. There's also quite a bit of clearance in front.

It's always possible that you'll see a possible tweak I missed, though, so if you have an idea of how to use the left side, don't let me discourage you. One idea I had but never really tried was that the left side brace could move inward and integrate with the hotend fan (possibly replacing the entire fan shroud), which would definitely improve clearance in that area. The trick would be doing so without making assembly impossible because you still need enough clearance around the heater block and heatsink to pop the hotend into the extruder. If necessary, though, the Titan mounting screw that goes under the hotend could be omitted, which would allow the extruder and hotend to be installed as a single assembly. I believe the adaptor plates to install a Titan on the factory carriage omit this screw, and it doesn't seem to have caused them any problems.

wiley wrote:
tomasro wrote:

Sorry, I've been neglecting this project because I started building a delta printer and I can't tear apart both printers at the same time big_smile . I'll get the Fusion 360 link posted on Thingiverse, which should make remixing simpler.

EDIT: Fusion 360 link is up on Thingiverse and in the first post.

As for the cooling fan, the problem you're going to hit is that there's <5mm of available clearance on the left side of the carriage before you start losing build volume on the positive end of the X axis. I struggled with this while designing because making the Titan face the front of the printer also means the hotend must be to the right of the center of the motor, which constrains the design pretty severely. XYZ's hotend was left of center. The right side may be a bit easier - it's pretty easy to see how much clearance you have because the optical endstop needs to access the first few mm of that flag. It's still only enough for a duct and not a fan, though.

I think you're best off working from the front, and it's worth pointing out that the front of the carriage doesn't really need to cover up the front X-axis rod like it currently does. The bearings are still the only pieces making contact with the rod - the rest of the cover really just makes printing it easier because you don't need supports and your right bearing holder can't come out wrong if the supports don't work properly. There's also quite a bit of clearance in front.

It's always possible that you'll see a possible tweak I missed, though, so if you have an idea of how to use the left side, don't let me discourage you. One idea I had but never really tried was that the left side brace could move inward and integrate with the hotend fan (possibly replacing the entire fan shroud), which would definitely improve clearance in that area. The trick would be doing so without making assembly impossible because you still need enough clearance around the heater block and heatsink to pop the hotend into the extruder. If necessary, though, the Titan mounting screw that goes under the hotend could be omitted, which would allow the extruder and hotend to be installed as a single assembly. I believe the adaptor plates to install a Titan on the factory carriage omit this screw, and it doesn't seem to have caused them any problems.

Awesome! Thanks for the files.

My add-on cooler currently mounts to the front of the carriage and fits in that very short area between the bottom of the lower belt and the bed.  With the remixed carriage, I won't have the same mounting structure for the Igus bearings, so I'll need to create some soft of cooler built into the structure around the nozzle, but somehow leave enough room for the mounting of the E3D v6.  Should be a fun remix and still make sure it doesn't require supports.  Challenge accepted!

I cannot for the life of my get my stock extruder to print anymore and I was wondering if someone can print wiley's design for me and ship it for a fee. I have paypal. Please let me know. I have been ripping my hair out and upsetting the entire family messing with this thing just trying to get a good print to upgrade it. Thank you in advance. I am in Suffolk, Va

Hi Kastengeist, I'm in Scotland and would be happy to try printing it for you, although it might be a day or 2 before I get round to it.
Do you need the cable chain mount ?  If not, I can remove it in Meshmixer and it would save on a fair bit of support material.

http://soliforum.com/i/?sYtH5pb.png

... and so it begins anew...

wiley wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?sYtH5pb.png

... and so it begins anew...

Wiley, is this your new design? Is this up on Thingiverse?

Thanks.

Is that a blower fan?

25 (edited by wiley 2017-04-30 01:46:40)

genesat1 wrote:

Is that a blower fan?

Yup.

Thingiverse listing just went up: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2284110

Sorry this took longer than it should have - life happened and this project ended up on hold for a while.

The listing is a bit bare at the moment, but I should have some pictures up in the next day or so. The current model mounts a 52x52x15 blower fan, but I intentionally made the blower mounts all removable, and I plan to come up with alternative mounts for the same carriage that let you use a 40x10 or 30x10 blower, because the duct for the 52x15 is so restrictive that I suspect I'm getting a lot more noise for not much air.

I made the wire rack attachment at the top removable - I don't have any current plans to make a cable chain attachment for it, but I figured I'd leave the door open for anyone who does want to.

I also made a bed probe mounting point that I use for a BLTouch sensor. Most folks here probably won't want it because you can't use a BLTouch with the factory board, but I use it because I switched and rewired for a Replicape, which has made my printer tremendously quieter. Quite pleased with the end result.

Let me know what you think!