1 (edited by neiledit 2016-06-13 18:32:47)

Topic: Extruder Stepper Motor Broken?

Last night i was having trouble with my prints and found out the extruder was not extruding.  Thinking there was a jam, i pulled out the filament and replaced it only to have the drive gear twitch as i tried to feed it back through.  Click forward, click back. No smooth forward motion.  Even if i pressed on the filament to assists the drive gear feeding it through still clicks.   I have been printing all weekend a few 7hr prints. Is  it possible i burned out my motor? I did notice some weird blobbing on a few parts i'd never seen before.  Other than that nothing unusual.  Loose connection maybe? I checked all the connections to make sure they are secure and there was no change to the extrusion.  Any ideas?

Re: Extruder Stepper Motor Broken?

Sounds like you have a hard clog. Try pushing filament through at your max temp, or with a guitar string. The best method is letting it sit for a couple of hours in acetone if you were using ABS.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I thought it was a clog too but the motor was twitching without the filament even in the extruder so there was no load on it.

Probably a broken wire right near the connector on the stepper motor. Jiggle the wires, see if that helps. Searching the forum should turn up a lot. Easily fixed if you can solder.