Re: FormLabs Form 1+ - More prints and some observations

Question Pirvan.

Am I right in thinking that Preform assumes all objects to be printed are solid unless made hollow during design? I assume that this is to avoid trapped resin.

So if I wanted to print an item on my 1+ using Preform and wanted a 50% infill I woild have to design that into the model during the design stage and add drain holes to drain resin from thosr voids as well.

So I guess for bery small objects of an inch or so it would be best just to print them solid even at a greater resin cost.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

There is no infill option with Preform, so if your model is solid (as most models are), it will be printed solid.  The reason for hollowing out an object is primarily to save resin, reduce weight, and to reduce the contact surface during print. 

Load up a (relatively) large object in Preform, and it will tell you how much resin it will take (Volume).  Hollow out the object in MeshMixer, then reload it in Preform, and you'll find that more often than not, the volume dropped by half or more. 

If the model is solid, you don't have to worry about trapped resin, but if it's hollow you should provide some drain holes.  Trapped resin might never cure.

If you're thinking about doing 50% infill for strength purposes, I wouldn't bother.  This stuff, once fully cured is solid, however it can shatter, it doesn't have the tensile strength of ABS.

Besides, how do you plan to create a 50% infill inside your model, without creating hundreds of closed pockets.  You might as well print it solid, because every one of those pockets will trap a little resin, and unless you plan on designing drain holes in every one of them....

Speaking of hollowing out an object, The general consensus is that a wall thickness of 2mm is more than adequate for medium size models.  Models with a large cross section should have thicker walls.  The thinnest wall that is reliable is about 1.6-1.7mm.  Thinner than that, and you could end up with holes.

So as you have already surmised, small objects should be printed solid.   Put it this way, if the cross section is about 4mm, Meshmixer would be able to hollow it out anyway.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

I am not impressed with Formlabs as a company. I am told by their supervisor of support that they can not sell the cover to a consumer. They have a contract with the maker of the cover thst says Formlabs can only order the covers for installation by Formlabs employees only. She said she would see if they might have an in house unit or a used uhit they can pull the cover from and sell as used or a refurb. I told her I am fine with scratche as long as it does not have an 8 inch hole like mine. She told me if thry can make the exception it would $150 shipped. Otherwise I have to pay to ship it back and have their engineers temove two screws,replace the cover, then put two screws back in. All at my cost now including their engineers labor.

DO you still have a recourse with seller of the printer (return it for a refund)?

If you can return it, I'd do that.  I know you think that was a good deal, but I think you can do better. 

If you can't find really good deal on eBay, I would look at the buy/sell trade section on the FormLabs forum.  There are many users there that are selling their Form 1+, because they're upgrading to Form 2.  I've seen deals for less that $1500 with lots of extras.

Here is one with extras for $1600.  No takers, so I'm sure you can work out a deal
http://forum.formlabs.com/t/form1-for-sale-florida/7991

Here is another for $1000
http://forum.formlabs.com/t/form-1-for-sale/7643

They found a cover for $150 and the seller has agreed to pay for it so I am cool now. For the time being I just put Kapton tape over the hole. It keeps out dust and also blocks out UV light as tested by another UV laser I have that will not pass through it.

It looks ugly as sin but functions.

They are sending a new cover.. Made an exception, sure..  Well I have found watching this printer is less yes less exciting than watching paint peel. But I am learning that there are limitations to the actual resin. My Makerjuice SF that is supposed to be formulated for the 1 and 1+ cannot do less than .025 and even then is iffy. My two year old bottle of Makerjuice G can do .025 and maybe .01, have not tried yet. I also find the G is very brittle while the SF is sort of rubbery but still  hard. The printer came with a partial bottle of clear Formlabs resin, but I am not sure there is enough in the bottle for even one vat.Plus unless you have more than one vat, changing resins is a pain in the asterisk.

carl_m1968 wrote:

They are sending a new cover.. Made an exception, sure..  Well I have found watching this printer is less yes less exciting than watching paint peel. But I am learning that there are limitations to the actual resin. My Makerjuice SF that is supposed to be formulated for the 1 and 1+ cannot do less than .025 and even then is iffy. My two year old bottle of Makerjuice G can do .025 and maybe .01, have not tried yet. I also find the G is very brittle while the SF is sort of rubbery but still  hard. The printer came with a partial bottle of clear Formlabs resin, but I am not sure there is enough in the bottle for even one vat.Plus unless you have more than one vat, changing resins is a pain in the asterisk.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing less than 0.025, or doing 0.01

There's no option in FormLabs to do a layer smaller than 0.025.  There's option for 0.025mm, 0.05mm, 0.1mm and for certain resins 0.2mm.  But not anything smaller than 0.025mm.  That's 25 microns, 1/4 the smallest layer (0.1mm) we usually print with an FDM printer. 

Nor do I see a point in printing anything even that small.  All my prints are done at 0.1mm, and unlike an FDM, it's almost impossible to see the layer lines, especially after the model is painted.

I haven't yet tried the MakerJuice resin I bought.  I probably will in the next week or so, from what I read it's less brittle than the FormLabs.

You mention a Makerjuice G, and maker juice SF.  Only MakerJuice SF is formulated for the Form 1/1+.  MakerJuice G is NOT.  Also how do you know it 2 years old?  Unlike FormLabs resin, MakerJuice doesn't have any production or expiration dates on the bottles. 

BTW, resin that is 2 years old is probably not going to work well, if at all.  Resin is good for a year after it's made, and maybe another 6-9 months after that.  That's the reason all Formlabs bottles have either a manufacture date or a an expiration date.  With MakerJuice, you basically use the purchase date as your start date, and use it within a year.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Plus unless you have more than one vat, changing resins is a pain in the asterisk.

I run a separate resin tank for each type of resin for this exact reason...

Saves me a ton of time as well.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

pirvan wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by doing less than 0.025, or doing 0.01

There's no option in FormLabs to do a layer smaller than 0.025.  There's option for 0.025mm, 0.05mm, 0.1mm and for certain resins 0.2mm.  But not anything smaller than 0.025mm.  That's 25 microns, 1/4 the smallest layer (0.1mm) we usually print with an FDM printer. 

Nor do I see a point in printing anything even that small.  All my prints are done at 0.1mm, and unlike an FDM, it's almost impossible to see the layer lines, especially after the model is painted.

I haven't yet tried the MakerJuice resin I bought.  I probably will in the next week or so, from what I read it's less brittle than the FormLabs.

You mention a Makerjuice G, and maker juice SF.  Only MakerJuice SF is formulated for the Form 1/1+.  MakerJuice G is NOT.  Also how do you know it 2 years old?  Unlike FormLabs resin, MakerJuice doesn't have any production or expiration dates on the bottles. 

BTW, resin that is 2 years old is probably not going to work well, if at all.  Resin is good for a year after it's made, and maybe another 6-9 months after that.  That's the reason all Formlabs bottles have either a manufacture date or a an expiration date.  With MakerJuice, you basically use the purchase date as your start date, and use it within a year.

It 2 years old cuz I know when I bought it thinking I was going to get a peachy in a few weeks. I also neant .025 does not print well using Makerjuice SF grey. It leaves holes in the model. The G stuff works very well, it is just very brittle and scratches very easy to. I might try the clear that was left with the printer but I am not sure there is enough to reach the fill line. Also has anyone tried replacing their silicon layer with sylgard? There are discussions that say it works great and is much cheaper than a new vat.

I plan on doing a few Sylgard vats.  I bought a few used vats from a FormLabs member, and I plan on buying some Sylgard on eBay.

The cost is roughly $60 (including shipping).  From everything I've read, if you do them one at a time, there will be some wasted material, so you'll probably do, at most, 4 vats, but if you plan on doing multiples, you can do 5 if you do them all at once.

At the moment, I have 3 new vats in the closet, so I'm good.

36 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-26 02:39:37)

Tried my luck at printing in FL clear an elvish ranger at 37mm tall printed at a .1 layer. Turned out pretty good, can even see some face detail. It looks almost like he is wearing some sort of optical camouflage. That is 3mm graph paper just to give you a size reference. So far I am liking this printer and might just be able to recover it's cost.

http://soliforum.com/i/?jqyZrDk.jpg

very nice!

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Oh, yeah....  I got to try me some clear.

BTW, have you guys seen the War Machine print they did with the Form 1+??  Absolutely insane. 

http://3dprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/warmachine6.jpg

That's next on my menu.

Dwarvin War Hero at 18mm tall. Think I am getting close to my .1mm limit. But still looks good.

http://soliforum.com/i/?a3wog2T.jpg

you guys need to stop... now I want one! LOL

some very nice prints from both of you... and that War Machine print is nutz! OMG, the details! tongue

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thought I would post my recent prints.

http://soliforum.com/i/?nN9f2u0.jpg

Are you planing on using any of your other printers ??????

pirvan wrote:

Are you planing on using any of your other printers ??????

As my sig says and listed in the buy/sell/trade section both the CTC and near finished Kossel are for sell. I have no need for them as my potential clients all complained about the lines  and I was never able to tune an FDM to print less than .15 and even then the lines still showed si doubt it was printing that low.

With this Form 1+ I am virtually line free. If I can't sell the CTC I might keep it for larger rough jobs that don't need an SLA finish.

44 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-31 21:23:33)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Thought I would post my recent prints.

http://soliforum.com/i/?nN9f2u0.jpg

Which resins are you using here, from what I can see it appear to be at least 3 different ones.

P.S.  Love the bear.

Just Makerjuice Grey for the Form and then Formlabs clear. The yellowish ones are from over curing but still FL clear.

What would you estimate the respective costs of these prints?

-Kevin

47 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-31 23:38:21)

knowack wrote:

What would you estimate the respective costs of these prints?

-Kevin

A liter of resin is $56 in the grey, the vat is $65 and good for about two liters of resin if you move your prints around. The vat gets burned by the laser over time and the bottom gets cloudy to a point it can no longer shine through enough to cure the resin properly. So just these prints I would say about 15 bucks. I don't count time since I let my printer run while I do other things. The only thing that consumes my time is stirring the resin in the vat to get the pigment suspended again (5 minutes) and topping off the vat if needed. The post process is time consuming as you have to put the print through multiple Alcohol washes to get the uncured resin off.. Then you have to bake it in a UV oven for an hour or so to cure the resin fully. Depending on your preference you then have to remove the supports before cure or after cure. I prefer after as the part is a bit sticky before when I use the grey. Depending on the size the support removal could take 30 minutes. Again I surf the web or whatever while I clip support branches. Of course I already have a few people willing to pay 3 times that for the bear alone. So I guess it depends on your market and what value it sets on your prints.

I am throwing in the towel for SLA. The post processing hassel is just not for me. See my listing in the buy/sell/trade section.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I find that the post processing work is not that bad, especially considering the output.

I suppose that if you're planning on making money with this, and you're looking at the time required for the finished product, then perhaps that might be an issue, but then again, maybe you're not charging enough

Once you get better at this, you should be able to estimate the amount of time required to produce it, and charge accordingly.  You have to remember that this is not for making bits and pieces people can buy in a store for a couple of dollars.  It's for making one-offs, that would be impossible for the customer t buy over the counter.  As such you can charge more.

Anyway, good luck with the sale, and I hope your experience doesn't scare other possible buyers away.

I agree with Pirvan. this is a unique industry not like many think a cheaper than Dollar store factory. I do miniature scale details, Vehicles etc that cant be found at all for the most part in a retail store and much of these models the buyer prefers to paint and finish themselves to taste even modify. same for the one off items I have done and sold. you can recoop your time also beside profit on materials. only people that have no clue about 3D printing or what is available in stores for cheap will balk at what we make. and I dont want them as customers anyway. just like the ones that ask on 3dhubs type web sites to create a copy of an item they saw at a store for $10 from a photo they took of it and want it just as fast but for less money and just as good of quality. ROFLMAO I just ignore such queries. they dont even think its a copywrite infringement in the 1st place much less not feasible or worth wile request. then you have people that saw like Jay Lenos garage show how easy he 3D scanned then printed a working part for a Stanley Steamer without showing all the prep work or costly tools required and think "hey I can have a rare part done like that by anyone with a 3D printer for a few bucks".

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs