1 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-11 05:50:16)

Topic: FormLabs Form 1+ - More prints and some observations

So here are a few more prints done with my Form 1+ printer. 

Considering how detailed this printer can get, I thouugh I'd try a few prints of something small, and highly detailed.

One of the things I've always enjoyed has been painting game miniatures.  I'm a big fan of Warhammer series, primarily Warhammer 40K Space Marines.  So Lately I've been searching for detailed models, and I came across a few of them.

The first one is a Dark Angel Space Marine.  The print is about 50mm in height, which is 80% larger than the standard Warhammer miniature, but I'll eventually print some at the proper scale.  The model was spray painted in flat black, but under the flash it looks like metallic grey.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9884

Next up, I found an absolutely fantastic set of characters on Thingiverse, modeled by a guy named Phillip Turz:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1536561

These are a Chaos Warrior and  Bretonian Knight.  Considering the detail on these models I felt I needed to print them at a larger size just to get the full effect.  The model including the base is about 105mm high.   I will eventually print them at the 28mm scale, but these can really be appreciated at a larger scale, and of course they need to be painted. 

So far I only printed the Chaos Warrior, but I should be able to print the Knight tonight or tomorrow.  When I do, I'll post the photos.  Open up and zoom in one the photo to get a full closeup of the model.  The only thing that I did to this was to remove and clean the little nubs left behind by the supports.  No sanding required, this is ready to be primed and painted.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9885

Some observations:

The best orientation for this type of print is to manually orient the model at a 30-45° angle, then let the program generate the supports.

PreForm has a few advanced options for supports:

Point Size.  This controls the size of the contact point between the model and the support (the diameter of the tip).  This is similar to the support to model spacing options in Slic3r or Cura, but here the support do touch the model.  Theoretically you would want the smallest point size possible ( 0.40mm), but I found that at that size some supports fail.  For models such as this, a 0.50 to 0.55mm point size is good.  If the model had a large cross section, I would make the point larger (maximum allowable is 1.3mm).

Another control I used was the Slope Multiplier.  This controls the support spacing on a slope.  In general, for a lope of 45°, a multiplier of 0.8 to 1.1 is good.  The steeper the slope, the lower the number you can enter (min. 0.25).  The shallower the angle, the higher the number (max. 4.0).  Using the wrong multiplier (as in too low for the slope), will generate sparse support on the sloping surface which could result in poor quality surface or a holes.

Base Thickness controls the thickness of the base onto which the supports are built.  You can control the thickness, and in theory, you'd want as little of it as possible, considering this is wasted material in the end, but making it too thin could result in failed supports, or warped supports and model.  For these type models a 1.5mm base works well.

Height Above Base refers to the height at which the print starts.  Again, the instinct would be to make it as short as possible to prevent waste, but I found that when you make the height too short, it get really hard to remove the model from the base, so a vale of 4.5 to 5mm is about as low as I would go.

Last but not least, you can edit the supports to add or remove as many contact point as desired, but in general the supports generated automatically are pretty good, and will produce a valid print.  Removing some is not always a good idea, so I suggest leaving this alone.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9886

Post's attachments

Dark Angel Space Marine.jpg
Dark Angel Space Marine.jpg 578.06 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Supports.jpg
Supports.jpg 178.71 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Warhammer Chaos Warrior.jpg 2.2 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: FormLabs Form 1+ - More prints and some observations

very nice results for new user. have you used this type printer b4?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

This is my first SLA printer, and now that I've had it for about 3 weeks, I can say that if you can afford one, and you like to print highly detailed models, this is the way to go.

Much as I like my FDM printer, and as much as I tweaked it to get good prints, FDM printing just can't hold a candle to an SLA in terms of detail.

To be sure FDM still has some advantages over SLA (more flexible materials, more colors, larger size prints), but not when it comes to detail and resolution.  Mind you, these prints are done at the coarsest resolution (0.1mm), and I can go down to 0.025mm, but I see no reason to do so.  This looks great to my eyes. 

Oh, last but not least, it's substantially faster than my Solidoodle, almost silent operation, and can be left to print overnight without fear of setting the place on fire.

The drawback is the cost of materials.  The Chaos warrior takes about 50ml of material, so I can get about 20 of them printed from a $150 bottle of resin, bringing the cost per model to $7.50.  Then there's the cost of the Resin tank, which is a consumable.  A tank will last about 2 bottles of resin before it needs to be replaced, the cost for a tank is $60, so if you add that to the equation, the cost per print is $9.00

The FDM variant would cost about $0.50-0.75.

4 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-11 12:14:47)

pirvan wrote:

This is my first SLA printer, and now that I've had it for about 3 weeks, I can say that if you can afford one, and you like to print highly detailed models, this is the way to go.

Much as I like my FDM printer, and as much as I tweaked it to get good prints, FDM printing just can't hold a candle to an SLA in terms of detail.

To be sure FDM still has some advantages over SLA (more flexible materials, more colors, larger size prints), but not when it comes to detail and resolution.  Mind you, these prints are done at the coarsest resolution (0.1mm), and I can go down to 0.025mm, but I see no reason to do so.  This looks great to my eyes. 

Oh, last but not least, it's substantially faster than my Solidoodle, almost silent operation, and can be left to print overnight without fear of setting the place on fire.

The drawback is the cost of materials.  The Chaos warrior takes about 50ml of material, so I can get about 20 of them printed from a $150 bottle of resin, bringing the cost per model to $7.50.  Then there's the cost of the Resin tank, which is a consumable.  A tank will last about 2 bottles of resin before it needs to be replaced, the cost for a tank is $60, so if you add that to the equation, the cost per print is $9.00

The FDM variant would cost about $0.50-0.75.

True about cost but with the SLA you get a product that is near injection mold quality that could be sold for near double the cost of production while the FDM version would be a hard sell due to the layers and lower quality..

So with an SLA the chance of selling products to recover cost is much higher and viable. I am getting ready to by a Form 1+ myself. Checking out a few now.

You can also use Makerjuice resin which is $65 per Liter and Sedgwick Resin which is also $65 per Liter.. Maker Juice come in clear that you add pigment to which is in about 8 different colors. Sedgwick comes in amber only.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

wow! the amount of detail is staggering! I would love to get one of these machines (have had several people approach me about doing small items for gaming, but they are simply too small for FDM type printing).

maybe someday...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

6 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-11 14:00:49)

carl_m1968 wrote:

You can also use Makerjuice resin which is $65 per Liter and Sedgwick Resin which is also $65 per Liter.. Maker Juice come in clear that you add pigment to which is in about 8 different colors. Sedgwick comes in amber only.

I already bought a 1/2 liter bottle of MakerJuice in grey ($39 + $12 shipping), and I'll give it a try after I run out of the current resin I'm using.

I'll post those results as well.

Haven't seen or heard anything about Sedgwick resins.  I'll look into that.

pirvan wrote:

...  Mind you, these prints are done at the coarsest resolution (0.1mm), and I can go down to 0.025mm, but I see no reason to do so.  This looks great to my eyes.

Form labs Clear Resin will let you print up to .2mm layers

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Have you had any issues with part resolution where supports make contact? I've been encountering this on a few prints.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

9 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-11 15:54:31)

Assuming that by "resolution" you mean surface quality issues, the only place I'm having some issues with is the near flat (horizontal) areas close to the base, or facing down but just above another surface.  If you were to look close at the upper back of the Chaos warrior, you'll see the surface is not as smooth as the rest of the model.  That was the surface it was resting on.

The trick is to orient the model to minimize any surfaces like that.  That's why I printed the Brettonian Knight with the base down, that way, the body comes out really clean.  Alternately you can manually add additional support.

Edit:
One other thing I thought of.  I found that if your walls are too thin, you end up with that type of surface.  Depending on the size of your model, your walls should be any thinner than 1.5mm.  These models have 2mm thick walls (I use MeshMixer Hollow function to hollow out the model).  Larger models should have thicker walls. 

Also when cleaning the model in IPA, don't leave it in there for too long.  I usually put the part in the first tank for about 5-6 minutes and agitate it for 2-3 (close the top and swirl it around), then I put it in the second tank for no more than 10 minutes, again swirl it around a few times, then take it out and blow dry it with compressed air.

UPDATE:

I just got a chance to check out the Sedgwick web site.  Yes, they have a UV cured resin, but it's primarily formulated to use the UV light from a DLP projector.  I don't know how it will react to a UV laser, which cures much faster.  Their resin contains photo inhibitors, much like the FormLabs resin.  This prevents resin from curing too deeply, and controls the layer thickness, but whereas a DLP takes 3-4 seconds to cure a 0.1mm layer, a UV laser takes a few milliseconds, so I'm not sure if this formulation would work correctly.

I sent them a support question about this, so hopefully they'll answer.  When they do, I'll post the the info.

yes DLP is what the former ibox Nano cube used. this is a very informative topic and sure to get lots of followers as few sites have such info/reviews on these type 3D printers. Thanks so much for sharing Pirvan!

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Here are the photos of the companion model, the Bretonian Knight.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9889

As I'm posting this, I'm printing a set of these at the original Warhammer scale.  We'll see how they come out (or IF they come out).

Post's attachments

Warhammer Bretonian Knight.jpg
Warhammer Bretonian Knight.jpg 1.9 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

13 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-13 02:28:17)

Check this one out !  smile

And yes, that's Quarter it's sitting on, just to give an idea of the scale.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9890

This afternoon I painted the little guy flat black to accentuate the details

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9895

Post's attachments

Chaos Mini.jpg
Chaos Mini.jpg 206.88 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Warhammer Chaos Warrior mini.jpg
Warhammer Chaos Warrior mini.jpg 2.38 mb, 1 downloads since 2016-05-13 

WOW! thats what I need. one question about the resin post print, is it soft or tacky to the touch like some Resin 3D printed items after cured?

Once it's cured, it solid, not tacky or soft.  Although it really depends on the resin you use.  There flexible resins available that will forever remain partially soft/flexible.

When the models comes out of the printer, it's tacky because it still has some uncured resin on it (after all it was inside a vat full of resin.  Then you put in in a bath of IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) to remove the uncured resin as the alcohol dissolves uncured resin, then you let it dry (I sometimes leave it overnight, or I use a compressed air can to do the job. 

At this stage, the model is still relatively flexible (not the whole model, but the thinner parts).  I found that this is the perfect stage to remove the supports.  Once the supports are removed, I post cure it in the sun or the UV oven.  Sun does the best job.

Once cured it, hard and feels a little like glass, so it's here that I clean up the little nubs left behind from the supports.

One way to keep the model partially flexible is to spray it with some opaque paint before it's fully cured.  I'm not sure how log that will preserve the flexibility, but I have a support structure I removed from a model that I painted flat black, that is still flexible 2 weeks later.

16 (edited by n2ri 2016-05-13 18:05:38)

I was wondering if that was depending on brand/formula of resin also. thanks for the great feedback on all this. also the LED projector type resin printers (like dentists use and the TV adds for the handheld and the ibox nano) dont cure as good as laser I am sure, just like the Sun does even better with more intense UV light.

17 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-14 02:44:33)

The properties of the resin are a result of the chemical formulation.

FormLabs offers standard resins, flexible resins, tough resins and Castable resins, each which it's own properties.

As for LED projectors, technically, they are DLP, not LED, the light source is either a standard DLP lamp, or a white high intensity LED.  The printers don't use standard UV cured resins.  They use a special formulation of resin that is light sensitive.  They are sensitive to the entire light spectrum, not just UV.

The problem with this is that they require a very intense light, and a longer exposure time.  Additionally, this process tends to heat up the resin, which forces the printer to induce a cooling cycle after each exposure, prior to the peel process.

Because of this, some new designs are trying to use UV lamps or LED's, as the light source, and some designs use LCD panels with UV LED backlights.  But this solution has it's drawbacks too:
1.  Typically UV LEDs produce 400-415nm light, which does cure the resin, but slower.   A UV laser (like the one in the FormLabs uses a 365nm laser which cures much faster, and produces less heat.
2.  Another issue is that most LCD panels are susceptible to UV Light damage over a period of time. (fogging/clouding), which would necessitate replacement of the LCD panel.

Well I just jumped in and bought my own 1+ for $1700 on ebay. Includes on bottle of resin and a spare unused vat. So now we can get more feedback soon.

Congrats.

I think you're going to have some fun with it.  I hope your printer came with the finishing kit, if not, I think you should get one from FormLabs.

While you wait for it, download the software and play with it.  I think that at first, you'll be surprised and maybe a bit disappointed at how few options there are, but once you realize how this works, you'll appreciate the simplicity, yet the amazing power that's works behind the scenes.

In a sense I'm glad I started with the SD3, then moved on to the FormLabs.  Because I learned a lot by doing things "the hard way", rather than getting something that (almost) always works the first time, without much fuss.

Frankly, if I had started with this, then someone would have asked me to print something using the tools we're so used to like Repetier, Slic3r and Cura, I would look at it and think it's primitive, and not worth the trouble.

Anyway, another thing you need to get "un-used to", is how to orient your model for printing.  For FDM we're always striving to have the largest surface flat up against the print bed, and build things as vertical as possible.  With SLA, you'll want to orient everything at roughly 45° to the build platform, so it always presents the smallest cross section.

But anyway, you'll figure it out.

Once again...
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9896

Post's attachments

Dark side.jpg 60.9 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

It is three months old and includes everything it shipped with. The company that owned it is moving production overseas and no longer needs it. They where asking $1800 or best offer. They went for $1700 which is about average on Ebay for the 1+

http://rs224.pbsrc.com/albums/dd11/GilRuiz1/vader_thumbs_up.jpg~c200

I am so mad, the Form 1+ arrived today but they packed it with the power supply next to the top of the acrylic cover. Now I have a hole the size of the power supply in the cover. I sent email and pics to the seller asking for compensation and I contacted Formlabs to find out how much a new cover will cost delivered and see if the seller will pay for it. I don't want to return the printer as I got it for a good price. I have all the pieces and could glue them but that just takes away from the clean minimal looks of this machine. So I will see if I can replace the cover at the sellers expense.

Pirvan if I may ask? If you want to print something very precise, how do you allow for shrinkage on the curing resin?

SD4 - Soon to be a frankenstein

24 (edited by pirvan 2016-05-19 00:43:44)

Most of the stuff I printed so far has been figurines, toys and organic type models.  The only mechanical thing I printed that required precise dimensions has been a laser holder for my Atlas 3D.  I designed the pieces to the exact dimensions I needed, and oly allowed a 0.1mm gap between two mating parts.

The print came out perfect, and didn't need any post print work other than cleaning the supports.

So I can't speak on that subject, other than to say, that while I understand there might be some shrinkage (especially as the part continues to cure over time), I don't think it's significant, especially compared to FDM.

That's good to know thank you.

SD4 - Soon to be a frankenstein