Topic: Just bought another printer

So I've been eyeing SLA printers for a while now, and yesterday I pulled the trigger on a (gently) used FormLabs Form 1+ on eBay.

Comes complete with everything, including an extra build platform, and 4 bottles of resin (flexible, gray and clear).   I'll probably have to buy a resin tank since I don't know how much life is in the one I'm getting, but overall, I think I got a decent deal ($1100).

I should be getting it late next week.  Once I have it, I'll post some first impressions.

Maybe we can start a SLA/DLP SIG here.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Just bought another printer

Congrats looking forward to the news and reviews.
tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

We can definitely start a new SLA section and once you create the first topic we will do that.
Excited to see more!!!

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Very excited to hear the first-hand nitty-gritty about SLA

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

5 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-08 05:03:31)

yes we need such a Resin printer page, maybe we can attract more users of that type printers for input and help with issues and results on them. next maybe some powder type printer stuff, there was an attempt at a DIY SLS Laser powder printer combo Laser engraver etc unit on Thingiverse a couple years ago that was abandoned which could be brought back to the drawing board perhaps. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33697

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

yap,

i was going to write a review of mine, a muve3d would be a perfect place for it.

this site would be complete if it had a page for each type of 3D printer for others to find info and help on all 3D printer related topics with fellow users to share.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

there was another low cost SLS printer startup a couple years ago that failed to fund and closed last month. Norge Ice9 and Ice1 claimed to be the smaller version and under $10,000 from the UK. lowest price yet for a RTR SLS 3D printer. too bad they failed to continue. now most SLS are going to printing Metals at higher prices and more industrial use.

Most SLS printers capable of sintering metal particles would probably cost in excess of $50K.  Most of the SLS printers in the $10-20K range would only be able to use more "mundane" materials (plastics & Vinyl).   

Even if a $10K SLS printer would become available, I wonder how many of us could afford one?  I for one know I can't.

That's what Kickstarter is for. Define a purpose (a product?) you want to make, include the cost of your fancy printer and start a campaign.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

It's jetting rather than SLS, but there is a promising looking powder conversion for FDM printers-

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com … _with_the/

SLS printers have always been costly plus need added post print cleanup equipment and lab. but FDM used to be much costlier also until recently as did SLA.the biggest reason is due to the big name companies in those types trying to corner the market so they stay on top as we have seen in recent years with mergers and law suits. this is why most of the up and coming SLS low priced models are made in other countries with little laws for those big guys to hit them with. Blueprinter is still going but they start at the "low price" of $30k and fill half a pallet but still called desk top LMAO. ATM the only option we have is to revise the DIY one I linked to on Thingiverse with the new stronger lasers etc. its also designed to be a laser cutter/CNC machine about the size of an 20gal fish aquarium. maybe some used copiers etc could be used to make one also with all the recycling centers, one guy has youtubes of his Frankenstein like creations he makes from scraped items. if he is not glowing or dead by now lol

IanJohnson wrote:

It's jetting rather than SLS, but there is a promising looking powder conversion for FDM printers-

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com … _with_the/

I have seen several of this type, most are still costly and the Dyed glue can bleed making print not as fine detailed. plus the 'ink/material' cost much more (also dont let any puff of air hit that pile of dust during the 4+ hour print hehe)  there is even a sheet paper model that cuts each sheet and inks/glues each layer which not only is costly but wastes lots of paper/trees. so far all 3D printers have lots of pros and cons of their own. its just what your intended use and budget require that no single printer can meet for most yet. this has always been an issue in manufacturing, hence thousands of special machines for specific jobs. there are a few multi machines that can perform 2-3 similar tasks in the foot print of one machine but at a higher cost. 3D printers are just the latest 'do all miracle tool' like the Star Trek replicator.

So I haven't yet received my printer.  The seller didn't ship it until last Thursday, so current tracking shows it will be delivered next Friday.

Meanwhile I bought a few things like wipes, nitrile gloves and a new resin tank.  I also downloaded and installed PreForm, the FormLabs software for slicing and printing with a Form 1+ printer.

While this software doesn't have the myriad of options we have in Repetier/Cura or Slic3r, it does do a lot of things automatically and does them well.  But there's a lot of relearning to do.

First thing I noticed is the way the software wants to position a model for printing, which for someone used to an FDM printer doesn't make a lot of sense, but once you read the explanation, it makes perfect sense for a SLA printer due to the mechanics of that printer (primarily the "peel" process).

Another thing about it, is that the models are output solid, there is no option for specifying the thickness of the walls, or number of perimeters.  Because of this, you have to make your models hollow prior to printing.  A while back I started a thread on how to hollow out an object, and at the time, neither myself nor some of the other readers could think of a reason to use that feature on our FDM printers.  well, now I can put that skill to good use.

Considering how much resin costs, it pays to hollow out your models.  For example, printing one of my Atlas 3D scanned characters (the computer geek) at 50% size as a solid, would consume 31.39 mL (including the supports).  The same model, hollowed out to have 1.5mm walls, consumes only 16.46 mL.  Big difference!

Anyway, just a couple of observations while I'm waiting for my printer.

And we learn something new every day wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

16 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-10 18:05:40)

BTW, the PreForm software can be downloaded by anyone for free.  You can do anything you want with it, but it won't output to anything else other than a FormLabs printer.

Here are a couple of shots showing the support it generates both outside and inside the model. 

When printing, the model is actually built upside-down.  So even though the resin would naturally drain out of the cavities due to gravity, as the last few layers are printed and the bottom is closed, some resin would still be trapped inside, so a drain hole needs to be provided (you can't see it here, but it's in the area circled in red).

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9805

Oh, one last thing.  The speed is about 2.5 times faster than my SD3 at the same resolution (0.1mm).  The same model oriented the same way, would take about 9 hours to print with supports and about 4:30 hours without any supports.

Post's attachments

PreForm 001.jpg
PreForm 001.jpg 238.28 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

17 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-10 19:16:11)

you also need to leave a hole for extra liquid resin to drain out of any holly items like tanks etc, make sure the hole is at the bottom of object as its being printed.

I learned this years ago when I got a free sample N scale propane delivery truck. it had the cab hollow including window frames with interior and open floor plus the tank had a square hole in bottom. this was an SLS powder model but same thing applies. the place was called 'make my model' and I was one of the 1st 100 people to email them for the deal, still got it in package, it has a fuzzy surface but very thin details and has been my inspiration in my 3D printing.

18 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-10 19:22:19)

wardjr wrote:

And we learn something new every day wink

a grade school teacher told us "if we learn anything that we didnt know the day b4 then it was worth waking up for" and you are still moving forward in life. I dread the day I dont learn something lol guess thats end of the road ;^P

n2ri wrote:

you also need to leave a hole for extra liquid resin to drain out of any holly items like tanks etc, make sure the hole is at the bottom of object as its being printed.

I learned this years ago when I got a free sample N scale propane delivery truck. it had the cab hollow including window frames with interior and open floor plus the tank had a square hole in bottom. this was an SLS powder model but same thing applies. the place was called 'make my model' and I was one of the 1st 100 people to email them for the deal, still got it in package, it has a fuzzy surface but very thin details and has been my inspiration in my 3D printing.

That was already mentioned in the post:

pirvan wrote:

When printing, the model is actually built upside-down.  So even though the resin would naturally drain out of the cavities due to gravity, as the last few layers are printed and the bottom is closed, some resin would still be trapped inside, so a drain hole needs to be provided (you can't see it here, but it's in the area circled in red).

Quick update:

Got the printer yesterday, now I have to find a place for it.  My work room is so "full of stuff", my wife says I'm a hoarder.

The first thing I noticed though is the smell of some of these resins.  The printer came with gray, clear and flexible.  While the gray and clear barely have any noticeable odor, the flexible resin is something else entirely.  the stuff makes me dizzy.

Anyway, once I clear a place for it, I'll give it a go an post the result.

You can do some amazing stuff with the flexible resin. Adam Lebovitz designed a printable speaker cone using the resin:

http://formlabs.com/stories/new-year-new-resolution/

22 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-18 21:06:44)

So I finally had a chance to do a couple of prints with the Form 1+.  I also learned a few things in the process.

The first print I did, came out a bit wrinkled, and even after a couple of hours, it still felt tacky.  I left it on the finishing tray overnight, only to find that it had gotten pretty soft, and some smaller parts actually started liquefying.  After searching the support site and the forum, I found that I was using the wrong resin type in the settings.  I had the right color, but apparently there are 2 types of gray resin, version 1 and version 2.  I had selected version 1, when in fact I was using version 2. 

So the moral here is to always make sure you selected the correct resin type in the software, it makes a world of difference.

The second test came out almost perfect.  I printed one of my favorite models, Domino, which I had previously printed on my SD3.  unlike the original FDM print where I had to separate the print into multiple pieces to get it printed, Here I went for a single piece print.  The PreForm support generation is excellent, and allows for manual editing. 

The only problem is that for some reason, and I haven't yet figured it out, one of the model's legs, failed to print below the knee, so I'll have to print the leg separately.  The print this time came out solid, and after the IPA bath, it exhibited little to no surface tackiness.  This morning I exposed it to sun for about 1 hour and it cured completely.

To say that the quality is excellent is an understatement.  At 0.1mm it's nearly impossible to see any marks with the naked eye.  The print speed is excellent.  The entire model with supports printed in just under 5 hours.  The same thing with have taken nearly 9 hours to print with my SD3.

So here are some photos of the model (missing leg and all) with the full supports, and with some of the supports removed.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9834

Post's attachments

Domino.jpg
Domino.jpg 432.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

So you're saying it doesn't have a leg to stand on?Glad to hear you are getting great print speed and quality.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

are you planning to build a UV oven for curing?

http://m.instructables.com/id/Make-a-VU … 3D-prints/

I would probably use traditional UV bulbs in place of LEDs, though, mainly because it would look way cooler.

jagowilson wrote:

are you planning to build a UV oven for curing?

http://m.instructables.com/id/Make-a-VU … 3D-prints/

I would probably use traditional UV bulbs in place of LEDs, though, mainly because it would look way cooler.

I though about it, but then I was looking at Amazon, and I can simply buy a proper UV sterilizer for like $75.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROD0ZE?psc=1