Re: Solidoodle Officially Closed

If anyone gets frames for sale please let me know .

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

52 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-08 04:58:02)

elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

anything with Air Brakes requir class A CDL ... so whom ever told you a truck with Air Brakes dont need CDL is misinformed.

I'm afraid you may be mistaken.

But, what if my straight truck or passenger vehicle is under 26,001 pounds, but has air brakes. do I need a CDL?

No, you don’t need a CDL unless you’re going to haul hazardous materials or 16+ passengers,
including the driver.

Source:

http://www.cdltest.net/cdl-faq.html

A pair of 100 gallon fuel tanks would cost ~$500 to refill. I would imagine anyone putting in an offer on this would have a credit card limit considerably higher than $500.

air brakes have lots more things to know about when operating a vehicle with them instead of Hydrolic brakes. one being moisture getting in and freezing. air compressor issues etc. which can cause failure to operate or not release. then trailer brakes or multi trailers. about the only non-simi tractor with air brakes are like dump trucks, cement trucks and others in the class B CDL range as they are for stopping very heavy loads (like Trains) some School buses in class C use them. even large pickups with goose neck trailers dont if 18k GVW or less. a CDL is lots harder to get than when they started in the 90s.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

53 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-08 18:08:31)

A vehicle equipped with air brakes is not part of the requirement or classification for a CDL license requirement.  Here is the simple breakdown on the 3 classes of vehicles requiring a CDL:

Class A truck
    Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg).

Class B truck
    Any single vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg) GVWR.

Class C truck
    Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

Edit:
On another note, why bother picking the stuff yourself, and spending the time and money to rent the truck, and palletize everything.

You could contract a freight/trucking company that does this for a living and have them do it all for you, and I'll bet you'd save not just money, but headaches, time and a broken back.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

54 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-08 18:41:14)

there ya go. also there are several addon codes for each with separate tests/qualifications some need renewed annually I posted above and non hazardous heavy trucks that require any of the add-on Endorsements fall in class C like Tanker. and most need up to date Physical exam especially if driven out of your home state and background check for violations in other states which is the main reason for CDL as truckers use to have several different licenses from different states to rack up points on. when CDL started it offered a grandfather pass for current Chauffeurs license holders that you only had to pass writen tests for. after that grace period you had to pass a driven test in the vehicle type you used. the a couple years ago they added more requirements but I didnt have to do them as I no longer work but I still got to keep my CDL long as I pay the higher price to renew. they also used to "make you" use your SS number as license number then you could opt for new number to avoid ID theft. some people have so many endoresments and restrictions on their lisence they just put an xorz so officers must look up what they are.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Okay, so the answer about trucks is "clear".

Again:

What's it worth?
Lots of parts and pieces. Do you get the racks too?
Could likely create an inventory from the 71 photos.
Surprised there taking bids on sets of parts - saw motors, and presses, plus all those SD3 frames and so much more.
Too many desk chairs.
Lots of boxing.

Anyone interested in an LLC to buy?

Just re-random thoughts I was re-struck with.
Another victim of attempting to work/produce with/in China.

56 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-08 22:25:37)

says you get it all except the building which is likely leased. turn key also means building in realestate though. even copywrites for software etc not enough info to deturmine value

I wonder if they would take a bid just for IP.  Maybe a couple hundred for their time to box up notebooks, copy stuff over to a drive.  Then stick a CC-SA license on all of it and host it here.

58 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-08 22:34:15)

"stick a CC-SA license on all of it and host it here."

That would be very interesting. 

I'll bet that if we were to try and raise a few bucks, like maybe everyone kicking in a couple of bucks, we could buy the name and IP, we could call ourselves co-owners of Solidoodle, and have the brand continue.

That would be pretty cool.  I'm in for a few bucks.  Anyone else?

I am in for a few bucks also I would love to see Solidoodle continued in a new form

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

It could be treated as a kind of open source platform, like the Prusa i3.  The sheet metal frame and aluminum bed are the main contributions, everything else is off the shelf components and printed parts.  I would be interested to know what the cost is like to hand the drawings to a shop to have some frames made.  They could be tweaked a little to take flanged bearings for the drive rod.  Maybe a different set of holes for a CoreXY version.  If I wanted to build my own CoreXY, I think I would prefer a sheet metal box to extrusions.  It would be something like the Ordbot kits RepRapDiscount sells. You get the frame and motors, and BYO electronics, build surface, extruder, hotend etc.

The Solidoodle brand should probably die off however.  It's a goofy name that is associated with poor quality through corner-cutting and bad customer service.

How about      " Soliforum 3D  The most most tweak-able printer on the planet "

I like the idea of a Soliforum sponsored or branded printer.  It would be a kind of community-produced and supported printer.  A lot of Solidoodles already were, by the time their owners finished modding it.

63 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-09 00:22:20)

I like where this conversation is going! hope we can do something like that.
already got members selling mods etc. designers, programmers etc. we could even have contests each year for improved model mod options or whole new printers. it would help focus the technology towards consumers desires instead of just jumping in with a new clone with cheaper components which is causing high startup fail rates scaring future purchasers in the name of profits for the next 3D printer maker. and boost interest in open source consumer preferred affordable high quality units to enhance the 3D printing trends in many ways. are there any legal/attorney members? that could help protect us from any liability issues in this endevour? this could be an industry 1st model how to grow fast tech through public educated input DIY continued supply source site. and use quantity purchasing to reduce cost just like big companies do but through a large Group effort (SIG).

64 (edited by knowack 2016-04-09 00:43:15)

I'd be in for a few bucks.  Everyone's idea of "few" may differ.

The name dilemma presents some options.  I like the Soli- part of the name; it implies making something tangible (the printed item) from something intangible (a computer file).  Solidoodle...Soliforum...SoliForm?

If one wanted to keep the 'd' as a connector to make the word flow better, and keep the "Solid" reference:
SoliDazzle
SoliDeft  (deft-as in skillful)
SoliDesign
Solidify (not pronounced 'Soli-diffy'!)
SoliDraw (along the doodle theme)

Or, using 's' as an alliteration:
SoliScribble (another doodle theme)
SoliSculpt
SoliSculptor
SoliShape
SoliSketch
SoliStyle (style-as in make)

Of all those, I think I like Solidify the best.  One could still keep the SD reference for Solidify5, SD6.

In case you can't tell, I'm sitting here bored, waiting for my supper!

(I'm also aware that 'soli' is also a musical term for multiple solos that occur simultaneously.)

I might be coerced into a few $ if there is a potential ROI in the foreseeable future.

Ender 3 Pro

When do we get to talk about trucks again?

elmoret wrote:

When do we get to talk about trucks again?

SoliDodge
SoliDakota
SoliDurango

And if you're a Chevy fan:
Soliburban

68 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-09 02:05:33)

knowack wrote:

Soliburban

That right there !

Although for a second my eyes played games on me and I read Soliburbon...

I dig SoliForm and Solidify.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

pirvan wrote:
knowack wrote:

Soliburban

That right there !

Although for a second my eyes played games on me and I read Soliburbon...

Me too. Solibourbon - available for order now. Then once you've paid, they tell you the first batch has to age for 10 years but you'll get it right away when it's ready.  ;P

71 (edited by mdrVB6 2016-04-12 14:14:34)

Meh, my bid to buy a truckload of printers at forty bucks a pop was just formally denied.  It was worth a shot.  They said they will keep me in mind if anything changes.  I wonder if they got an offer on the whole thing?  We should really try to keep an eye on this and find out what happens to all those printers and frames.  I can't imagine someone buys them for scrap or throws them in a dumpster.  I hope they make it back into the community somehow because I'm willing to jump thru some hoops to get my hands on a few.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

$40 each is a pretty fair offer for discontinued printers in various states of functional.

I thought so too.  I'm in Virginia, so its a 2 or 3 day commitment for me to drive into NY, stay with a friend, and load up some printers.  I would have listed some of them on ebay to recoup the initial investment, then converted the rest to Core XY like my thread over in the hacks forum, or just sold them as kits ready to make into Core XY builds.  Oh well.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

...or just sold them as kits ready to make into Core XY builds.  Oh well.

This is a great idea, as there are not a lot of coreXY kits available. Bummer they declined the offer.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Sad.  My solidoodle is nearly stock and its worked pretty much okay since I got it a few years ago.

I'd love to put an offer in for one of those small milling machines, I've been looking for one..